PDA

View Full Version : Nadya Sulemon & 12 Kids Fly Business Class

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

UMBS Go Blue
07-12-2011, 10:50 PM
But whatever we would or would not do, that was the actual situation, was it not? Yes, and it says a lot about the octomom that she'd put herself in a situation like that. As for Kristen Johnson, she probably did overreact, but given that she was in First anyway, she very likely had the airline elite status needed to rebook herself on another flight easily, which is what she apparently did.

What should she do about it now? Put some of them back?Would you recommend that she continue unleashing herself and her kids on to planes from now on?

Civic
07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
...If there are kids, they are usually well-behaved, first and foremost because their parents enforce proper discipline and decorum in an adult business setting. When you are sharing a small, confined space with lots of people - let alone plenty of possibly important people up front - being able to control your own kids is a direct reflection of your own ability as a parent (particularly your ability to prepare your kids to interact in a healthy and constructive way with the real world, as opposed to being a spoiled brat); your respect for others' space, privacy, and dignity; and the extent of the civilized image that you want to project of yourself and your family to the real world...

...The foundation, however, is proper childrearing and discipline regarding public behavior starting at the earliest age possible....
I don't have children because I decided I didn't want the hassle and responsibility of raising them. And yeah, being stuck on an airplane next to a crying infant can really grate nerve. However, I don't get the hostility to children in public places that same people have. What exactly would they have affluent families with children who need to travel do? Charter a private plane?

Even the most well-mannered child can have a melt down given the right set of circumstances. Children are not miniature adults. They're much more sensitive to their environment, fatigue, hunger, etc. That's just the way it is and the adults around them need to suck it up and deal, imo.

Prancer
07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Would you recommend that she continue unleashing herself and her kids on to planes from now on?

Sometimes people with kids have to fly places. I, for one, don't think that I get to decide when other people fly, whether they have children or don't.

If I were in charge of the world, however, she would have other adults to help her. And if I were her, I like to think I would have made it a condition of the interview that CBS come to me, rather than all of us going to CBS.

But I hesitate to say what she should do, as her situation is so extraordinary that I don't have the slightest idea what her life is like.

In skating terms, it's kind of like the difference between skating, watching it live, and seeing it on TV every now and then.

milanessa
07-12-2011, 11:16 PM
What should she do about it now? Put some of them back?

Now that would be some reality show!

agalisgv
07-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought the reason she did the interview was bc she was already in NY with her kids. Didn't she say she was involved with boxing promotion or something, and had a gig in NY bc of that? My understanding is she took the boxing work bc that was the only work she could find, but that work required her to be on the road a lot, so she brings her kids with her bc there's no one at home to watch hem while she's away.

my little pony
07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
With all due respect, I wouldn't have eight kids just for the TV show novelty of it.

actually, she has 14. 8 are toddlers. the oldest is about 12.

so it is more like being on a plane with a day care center than a normal vacationing family

Japanfan
07-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I like the idea of child-free and child-friendly flights.

MacMadame
07-13-2011, 01:34 AM
And I'm with Johnson; I'd be pissed if I paid big bucks for a first-class or business-class seat and had to listen to 12 screaming children.
It's not clear they were actually screaming though. There aren't quotes from the other passengers about how horrible it was to fly with them, for example.

...actually, yes. Many parents give their children sedatives or sleeping pills for long flights.
But it's a risky practice and I don't fault parents who don't do it.

Children are not miniature adults.

And, even if they were, sometimes adults have melt-downs too.

I am not in favor of having child-free flights. I don't mind it for things like gyms, day spas, restaurants, movies, etc. as no one *has* to go to those places. But sometimes people have to travel and sometime that travel involves flying and therefore anyone who can afford to and is willing to follow the rules should be allowed.

WindSpirit
07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't have children because I decided I didn't want the hassle and responsibility of raising them. And yeah, being stuck on an airplane next to a crying infant can really grate nerve. However, I don't get the hostility to children in public places that same people have. What exactly would they have affluent families with children who need to travel do? Charter a private plane?

Even the most well-mannered child can have a melt down given the right set of circumstances. Children are not miniature adults. They're much more sensitive to their environment, fatigue, hunger, etc. That's just the way it is and the adults around them need to suck it up and deal, imo. I agree, and I don't have kids, either. But I don't think it's about kids per se, it's more about life inconveniences in general, being it it noisy kids in a closed environment or anything else.

I like to criticize Nadya Suleman as much as most people, but as sensible grownups (as we would like to think of ourselves) I think we should be able to understand that a two-year is not sensible or an adult and will act accordingly to his/her age. If the quotes I read were true, the Octomom actually sounded reasonable, and the kids weren't even trowing tantrums or going crazy, they were just loud. I wouldn't be the happiest person to be on a flight with them, either, but if they were just being kids, kind of loud and maybe running around a bit, without getting extreme (throwing tantrums, crying for hours on, trying to hit/kick people, etc.) I would just deal. Life is full of inconveniences.

UMBS Go Blue, I think you showed me how I sound like when I think I have it all figured out and am in control of everything. :lol: Not our kids, nooooo. It does sound a little self-righteous and, well, silly. In addition to being full of inconveniences, life is also unpredictable. You can't plan and predict everything, neither can you control everything. And being to able to understand and deal with that is what being an adults entails, I think. And if I'm reading your "cattle class" slip right, I think you need to get over yourself a little bit.

So Octomom has 14 children. A crazy and irresponsible move, but they're here. Like someone else wrote, she's not going to shove them back into her womb. I can understand criticizing her for having so many children, not having a steady source of income, etc. but criticizing her for doing normal things like flying with her kids? No.

And BTW, I think she totally got paid for that TV appearance, whatever they called it on the contract.

taf2002
07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
So Octomom has 14 children. A crazy and irresponsible move, but they're here. Like someone else wrote, she's not going to shove them back into her womb. I can understand criticizing her for having so many children, not having a steady source of income, etc. but criticizing her for doing normal things like flying with her kids? No.

I agree with this. And I wouldn't support an airline policy of no kids in first or business class. My husband & I almost always fly first, & if we had kids we would not want to give up this luxury. And kids are probably better behaved there too. It is less cramped & quieter, so more condusive to kids being calmer there. It's not like other things where you can choose to put your kids into adult situations. A mode of transportation is not an adult situation since everyone has to travel.

BTW, I think Octomom was crazy when she had those kids & she seems to realize that now. I saw an interview when she had the 8 & then I saw this recent interview & she seems like a different person now. The reality has caught up with her.

gkelly
07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
If the quotes I read were true, the Octomom actually sounded reasonable, and the kids weren't even trowing tantrums or going crazy, they were just loud. I wouldn't be the happiest person to be on a flight with them, either, but if they were just being kids, kind of loud and maybe running around a bit, without getting extreme (throwing tantrums, crying for hours on, trying to hit/kick people, etc.) I would just deal. Life is full of inconveniences.

Reminds me -- I traveled to the 1994 Olympics on an overnight flight with a bunch of people who were loud and running around and made it impossible to get any real sleep in the few hours allotted. And they weren't kids. (It was the extended family of a top athlete who were excited to get together and cheer on their family member.) What can you do but :rolleyes:?

Cheylana
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
It's not clear they were actually screaming though. There aren't quotes from the other passengers about how horrible it was to fly with them, for example.
We're talking about 8 two-year-olds. The odds are high that at least one or more of them would be screaming at any given time during the flight. :P

MacMadame
07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
We're talking about 8 two-year-olds. The odds are high that at least one or more of them would be screaming at any given time during the flight. :P

Not really. It depends on the kids. Some just aren't screamers.

genevieve
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
this whole issue took place during a delay while they were still on the ground, right? I don't recall if any mention was made of how it was during the flight (since Johnston had already flounced off the plane and I guess no other celebs were on board to raise a stink).

taf2002
07-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't know how they were on the flight but on the show the kids were running around in 15 different directions. There was a lot of interesting stuff for little kids to look at like cameras & sets. They weren't being noisy but it took all the staffers to corrall them & then when they would bring 2 back to the circle, 3 more would escape. It was difficult for OM to be interviewed.