PDA

View Full Version : Nadya Sulemon & 12 Kids Fly Business Class

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

numbers123
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
:rofl: for you?

Gazpacho
07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
There are that many seats in business class?

Cheylana
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I can understand people being and have myself been irritated by screaming children before, but what solutions do you have for people with children who need to travel?
Some parents do a great job with their kids, but others come unprepared and expect the flight attendants to provide entertainment for their bored children. They should bring toys, games, books and videos that the children can watch, and preferably some snacks too. But mostly I'd settle for the parent telling the kid not to kick the back of the seat in front of him. :shuffle:

julieann
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
As someone else said, she was almost surely paid for use of pictures or video or even missed work (even if she has no actual job, she could have been trying to make money during that time). Saying they didn't pay for an interview is almost always semantics. They paid for other things, and probably handsomely.

Still, even if she didn't tell them it would be inconvenient for her to fly across the country with 14 kids and all that luggage, someone over at NBC should have asked if she would needed extra help or offered it outright.

Sending extra help would not have cost them more than a few plane tickets. It would have been common courtesy and common sense. I'm sure next time she is asked for a live interview she will either say no or ask for babysitters as part as her payment.

my little pony
07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
why should NBC care if she enjoys her flight back? why should they be more responsible than she is? at this point they have already spent a lot of money on what is no more than a carnival act.

Skittl1321
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
But again - Johnson was in first class and Sulemon wasn't. Unless you're flying an airplane that has an actual separate cabin with walls and a door to keep noise from the riff raff out, first class does not guarantee silence from the other parts of the plane.

Well it had to be a fairly large airplane to have a first class, and a business class, not to mention at least 15 seats in business class (likely more if Johnson wasn't the entire section.) But the thing is- she was in a completely different area of the plane, not seated next to them- how loud were they being?

Generally when a kid is misbehaving on a plane, it bothers a few rows, not the entire plane, and not the separate sections of a very large plane. The exception would be the screaming baby, the sound carries pretty well everywhere.

julieann
07-12-2011, 01:32 AM
why should NBC care if she enjoys her flight back? why should they be more responsible than she is? at this point they have already spent a lot of money on what is no more than a carnival act.

If she is just a 'carnival act' why invite her on in the first place. Why didn't they just kick her out the door with bus fare when they were done? Like I said before, she was their guest, it was common curiosity to to make sure her trip was provided for properly, even if she declined the help, it would have been nice to have the extra hands.

bek
07-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Couldn't the station have just leant them a private plane, I'm SURE they have one.

jamesy
07-12-2011, 02:16 AM
If she is just a 'carnival act' why invite her on in the first place. Why didn't they just kick her out the door with bus fare when they were done? Like I said before, she was their guest, it was common curiosity to to make sure her trip was provided for properly, even if she declined the help, it would have been nice to have the extra hands.
:confused: So if she declined any help NBC should have insisted anyway and forced people to help her with her children against her will?

my little pony
07-12-2011, 02:35 AM
if NBC really wanted to help, they would have forced Ann Curry to take a couple home

If she is just a 'carnival act' why invite her on in the first place.

that's a question for the show, but as stated up thread she is at best a K list "celebrity"

Why didn't they just kick her out the door with bus fare when they were done? Like I said before, she was their guest, it was common curiosity to to make sure her trip was provided for properly, even if she declined the help, it would have been nice to have the extra hands.

do they give any of their guests temporary servants on the way home? sorry, but the idea is ridiculous. she's not an infant, though i suppose one more wouldn't matter

numbers123
07-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Some parents do a great job with their kids, but others come unprepared and expect the flight attendants to provide entertainment for their bored children. They should bring toys, games, books and videos that the children can watch, and preferably some snacks too. But mostly I'd settle for the parent telling the kid not to kick the back of the seat in front of him. :shuffle:
One of the worst planes that I was on was one with 25 8th graders returning from their spring trip to DC. Even if every one of those kids had their own parent with them, no one could have kept them quiet. Teenagers who have spent 3 days in DC, with little supervision, on tons of Mountain Dew and sugary snacks = worst trip home ever.

if NBC really wanted to help, they would have forced Ann Curry to take a couple home
I kind of wondered why Ann didn't go to her house to do the interview.

julieann
07-12-2011, 03:04 AM
:confused: So if she declined any help NBC should have insisted anyway and forced people to help her with her children against her will?

Maybe she was asked by a staffer if she could use extra help on the flight and she declined ...then end of story. That's not even the point of Kirsten Johnston's rant. KJ was probably more upset because no one recognized her.

Even when I send people at my company on business trips, everything is taken care of by the company. I try to anticipate their needs especially if they have children or other issues such as health issues. If they want it fine, if not that's fine too.

Japanfan
07-12-2011, 07:30 AM
If she is just a 'carnival act' why invite her on in the first place.

Because carnival acts and freak shows make money.

UMBS Go Blue
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
There are that many seats in business class?Yes, there are 30 seats in domestic business class on American (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_767-200.php), and on United p.s. (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_PS.php) there are 26 seats.

From personal experience, business and first class on the JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO routes are packed with businesspeople quietly working, watching movies on their laptops or airline-issued personal entertainment devices, or snoozing. Although I always get the exit row aisle seat (17D, 18D, 20D, 21D are almost always my friends) in the middle of the plane whenever I'm relegated to cattle class, when I'm up front I like to be cocooned in a window seat for any of these purposes.

If there are kids, they are usually well-behaved, first and foremost because their parents enforce proper discipline and decorum in an adult business setting. When you are sharing a small, confined space with lots of people - let alone plenty of possibly important people up front - being able to control your own kids is a direct reflection of your own ability as a parent (particularly your ability to prepare your kids to interact in a healthy and constructive way with the real world, as opposed to being a spoiled brat); your respect for others' space, privacy, and dignity; and the extent of the civilized image that you want to project of yourself and your family to the real world.

Secondarily, things like reading, homework, personally owned entertainment devices, and airline-issued personal entertaiment devices keep kids going.

The foundation, however, is proper childrearing and discipline regarding public behavior starting at the earliest age possible.

Fortunately, I have not yet been in a case where there have been screaming babies in business or first class though. For those instances...

nyquil...actually, yes. Many parents give their children sedatives or sleeping pills for long flights.

In American's case, the fact that their personal entertainment devices up front have Bose noise-cancelling headphones do help. Most business travelers (myself included) have their own pair of noise-cancelling headphones to block out cabin noise and to cope with unforeseen riff-raff.

Because carnival acts and freak shows make money.A sad reflection on what passes as fodder for popular entertainment and discourse in this country.

rfisher
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
riff raff can be so tiresome. :drama: