PDA

View Full Version : Most poorly judged competitions

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

rudi
07-09-2011, 05:22 PM
2001 Worlds (Men)
I love Yagudin's skating, but the judges gave him a gift that year with the silver medal. He should have gotten the bronze, and Todd should have gotten the silver.

Jenna
07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Yukari Nakano's placement at 2008 Worlds is still, IMO, the biggest robbery in the COP-era that I can think of. Not to say that there haven't been other close calls or wrong decisions, but I think Nakano's case takes the cake.

One can make all sorts of justifications for her placement with the IJS, but simply watching her performance and comparing it with the three medalists just make me scratch my head and even feel a bit disgusted.

Yeah I agree, but back then the downgrade penalty was way more severe and her 3A and 3F were downgraded. Still, I thought she should have won a medal.

Moka-Ananas
07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
2002 Europeans Men: Abt should've won!
2002 Olympics Pairs and Ladies: B/S and Slutskaya should've won.
2003 Europeans Ladies: Slutskaya was sooooo gifted. Sokolova had the better LP:
2003 Worlds Ladies and Ice Dance: I preferred Sokolova and L/A.
2004 Worlds Men: OK, Worlds were in Germany but I still think Stéphane Lambiel was better than Stefan Lindemann that night.
2005 (?) Russian Nationals Men: Alexander Uspenski was robbed of a medal, Griazev and Lezin were seriously gifted.
2005 Europeans Ladies: Pöykiö should've won. Slutskaya was extremely gifted.
2006 Olympics Ladies: Cohen was gifted, should've been 3rd or 4th.
2010 Olympics Men: Lysacek's OGM is a big joke.
2011 Worlds Ice Dance: Shibs in 3rd?!

eurodance2001
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ladies event at the 1998 Worlds.. Maybe the overall results were ok, but some of the judges placements and scores were just one of those "huh?" moments for the entire ladies competition..

Jenna
07-09-2011, 05:37 PM
ITA about the 2010 Olympics in dance. I'm not sure specifically what placements you're referring to, but I think Belbin and Agosto definitely deserved the bronze medal after the lackluster free performance that Domnina and Shabalin gave. I know D&S had a good compulsory dance but their OD was just freaky and not really any better than B&A's, and their FD was clearly inferior. I did agree with the other podium placements though.

Yes, I was referring to the bronze. Compulsories by D/S were great, but OD, FD were inferior!

Jenna
07-09-2011, 05:39 PM
2002 Europeans Men: Abt should've won!
2002 Olympics Pairs and Ladies: B/S and Slutskaya should've won.
2003 Europeans Ladies: Slutskaya was sooooo gifted. Sokolova had the better LP:
2003 Worlds Ladies and Ice Dance: I preferred Sokolova and L/A.
2004 Worlds Men: OK, Worlds were in Germany but I still think Stéphane Lambiel was better than Stefan Lindemann that night.
2005 (?) Russian Nationals Men: Alexander Uspenski was robbed of a medal, Griazev and Lezin were seriously gifted.
2005 Europeans Ladies: Pöykiö should've won. Slutskaya was extremely gifted.
2006 Olympics Ladies: Cohen was gifted, should've been 3rd or 4th.
2010 Olympics Men: Lysacek's OGM is a big joke.
2011 Worlds Ice Dance: Shibs in 3rd?!

Who should've beaten Evan? Even jump king Plushenko faltered with several shaky landings and Takahashi had two errors.

The Shibs were 3rd because P/B fell down, so again, I don't see a problem with the judging.

eurodance2001
07-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Who should've beaten Evan? Even jump king Plushenko faltered with several shaky landings and Takahashi had two errors.

The Shibs were 3rd because P/B fell down, so again, I don't see a problem with the judging.

Right about this.. P/B were slated for third and had a MAJOR error which barely prevented them from finishing third, so not much of an issue with that.. As for Evan, he barely won so even with Plushenko's miscues, he barely missed winning again, so how is that a problem with the judging? They were ready to hand it to Plushy again..

shady82
07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Poorly judged usually depends whether your favourite wins or not.

However in relation to your question over 2001 Worlds, A&P probably had two of their poorest programs that year. Frankly they were pretty crap and were no where good as they had been 12 months previously. As much as I personally didn't like F-P&M, they skated really well and I thought their OD that year was really good. They probably captured the latin flavour better than any other team. It was a case of F-P&M were the best of a bad bunch.

Interesting you said that, because A/P's FD that year was actually my favorite from them. I do think F-P/M should have won the OD though - but that year's OD wasn't Latin. F-P/M skated their program very well, but technical and artistically it was inferior to A/P's. That's just my thinking though.

dawnie
07-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah I agree, but back then the downgrade penalty was way more severe and her 3A and 3F were downgraded. Still, I thought she should have won a medal.

And Kostner should have finished WAY off the podium, not less than 1 point away from winning the title.

caseyedwards
07-09-2011, 06:45 PM
2010 Olympics Men's SP where doing a quad triple as a combo meant nothing and in the LP where doing a quad triple meant nothing. Worst event ever.

Badams
07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
2010 Olympics Men's SP where doing a quad triple as a combo meant nothing and in the LP where doing a quad triple meant nothing. Worst event ever.

:eek:Huh...I never would have guessed that you disagree with the results. Nothing in your posting history implies it... :blah:

Jenna
07-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Here we go again. Whee! :rofl:

VIETgrlTerifa
07-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Right about this.. P/B were slated for third and had a MAJOR error which barely prevented them from finishing third, so not much of an issue with that.. As for Evan, he barely won so even with Plushenko's miscues, he barely missed winning again, so how is that a problem with the judging? They were ready to hand it to Plushy again..

Also, I remember that the PCS numbers indicated that the judges were ready to give it to Takahashi and Lambiel had they delivered, but I'm unsure of that.

pani
07-09-2011, 07:40 PM
1998 OG ice dance
2004 WCh ice dance

5Ali3
07-09-2011, 07:46 PM
2011 Men's US Nationals and Bradley's gold medal where BOTH of his quads were ratified. :confused::rolleyes::blah:

2010 Ladies' Olympic SP results with Ando's UR 3flip being ratified along with Flatt's atrocious Lutz attempt. Nagasu, and even Kostner with fully rotated jumps, albeit a hand down on the Lutz, should have been ahead of both of them in the SP, IMO.

Of course, neither of these decisions involved "poor judging."

And the SkateGods said to them, “Render to judges the things that are the judges', and to the technical panel the things that are the technical panel's." Button 12:17

:lol: