PDA

View Full Version : Most poorly judged competitions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

Vash01
08-13-2011, 06:50 AM
At GPF, S&P only defeated B&S soundly because B&S fell once and S&P was clean.

I don't remember the first LP. but going into the second LP, the two pairs were tied. LP2 was the tie breaker.

About the second LP you are wrong. S&P (Jamie) fell in their Love Story LP. B&S did not fall at all (not even close to a fall). I have it on tape.

Also "soundly defeated" sounds odd. It wasn't 7-0 or 6-1. I will have to watch the tape (though I have always found it painful because it was not just a poorly judged competition; it was a politically judged one).

escaflowne9282
08-13-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't remember the first LP. but going into the second LP, the two pairs were tied. LP2 was the tie breaker.

About the second LP you are wrong. S&P (Jamie) fell in their Love Story LP. B&S did not fall at all (not even close to a fall). I have it on tape.

Also "soundly defeated" sounds odd. It wasn't 7-0 or 6-1. I will have to watch the tape (though I have always found it painful because it was not just a poorly judged competition; it was a politically judged one).

I think Marco was referring to the 2001-2002 GPF, where B&S actually led S&P following the first LP, In the debut of Meditation , Elena had a double fall on the throw 3-salchow, and S&P had a strong(better than SLC), cleaner performance of Love Story. This led to a very decisive victory on their parts and IMHO a false sense of security concerning the strength of that program.

judgejudy27
08-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Chen Lu's LP skated to that music was beautiful and sophisticated, and very few could match it, but it was a singles program, so I would not compare the two.

S&P created a choreographically more complex LP in order to be competitive at the 2002 Olympics. It was choreographically better than any of their previous programs. The final pose was stunning. It seemed like earlier in the season they were doing well with it, but as the season progressed, they became less comfortable with it, particularly Jamie. After their poor skate at the Canadian nationals, from what I heard/read, she wanted to go back to Love Story. For them it was important to skate clean at the Olympics and for that they needed a program they were very comfortable with. I believe that's why they just went back to Love Story. They knew the judges liked it and the north American audience would love it because of the familiarity with the music. The program was not competitive at that point, IMO since it had become a couple years old. However, it helped them skate clean. With the more complex 'Orchid' program there was a big risk.

Sale & Pelletier's struggles with Orchid only prove how much harder it is to do a more choreographically intricate program, something that was sorely overlooked in the NA medias biased observations of the SLC competition.

Vash01
08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I think Marco was referring to the 2001-2002 GPF, where B&S actually led S&P following the first LP, In the debut of Meditation , Elena had a double fall on the throw 3-salchow, and S&P had a strong(better than SLC), cleaner performance of Love Story. This led to a very decisive victory on their parts and IMHO a false sense of security concerning the strength of that program.

I think you are right. I thought we were talking about the 2001 GPF, but Marco was talking about the 2002 GPF. I think their sense of security about that program was not false, however, because they knew the judges were on their side, and skating clean was more important than having a choreographically intricate/risky program. I think there was a lot of behind the door stuff going on that time that we the fans may not be aware of.

walei
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't think S/P were incapable of performing a more detailed/intricate program like the Orchid because let's face it, the Orchid is pretty much mostly a rearranged version of Tristan & Isolde with a few different elements like the pair spins. S/P was able to perform T&I rather well in the 2000-2001 season.

It's just an unfortunate turn of event (for Orchid fans like me) that they bombed Canadians with the Orchid and nailed Love Story at GPF.