PDA

View Full Version : Most poorly judged competitions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

paskatefan
07-16-2011, 12:11 PM
^ While I fully respect Alexei Y.'s Olympic win in 2002, I felt the 2001 Men's podium at Worlds should have been Plushy, Todd, & Timmy, in that order.

briancoogaert
07-16-2011, 12:51 PM
^ While I fully respect Alexei Y.'s Olympic win in 2002, I felt the 2001 Men's podium at Worlds should have been Plushy, Todd, & Timmy, in that order.
oki, so, we almost agree, since I had the feeling that Tim Goebel deserved a medal. But Alexei Yagudin was my favorite skater at this competition, so, I was really really happy to see him on the podium ! lol

Tanja90
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
2010 worlds Ladies free...Mao being score second to a Yuna who was really disappointing and lifeless...yuna taking the silver with those programs (If it was another skater she would have been not as high as tenth place)...lepisto taking the bronze with a three triple long when both miki ando and carolina kostner skated two flawless programs with more quality than laura's...I was at the arena and everything was a joke..

Lookingood
07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
2010 worlds Ladies free...Mao being score second to a Yuna who was really disappointing and lifeless...yuna taking the silver with those programs (If it was another skater she would have been not as high as tenth place)...lepisto taking the bronze with a three triple long when both miki ando and carolina kostner skated two flawless programs with more quality than laura's...I was at the arena and everything was a joke..

Yuna did LANDED 5Triples including 3L-3T How is that so disppointing? And also I belived your favorite skater mao also landed 5 triples.

leafygreens
07-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I 'd have to say 1994 Olympic Ladies was a competition where I was happy with the results at the time, but looking back on it ...it REALLY does not hold up

Totally agree, and I also would say the exact same thing about 1998. Happy then, looking back not so much.

leafygreens
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
There was no way the winner of 2010 should have been quadless.

So does that mean that the winner of 2014 should have a quint? Otherwise, it's not a real sport, right? And none of the other elements matter.

Tanja90
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Yuna did LANDED 5Triples including 3L-3T How is that so disppointing? And also I belived your favorite skater mao also landed 5 triples.

Mao landed 6 triples including two 3 axels (one was underrotated I think...) but her program was clean while yuna's wasn't...she had a fall and completely popped the axel...mao's step are far superior than yuna's...Yuna had no spirit, no wish to compete, she didn't skate well at all! After the fall and the popped jumps she took a lot of time to recover, like she wanted to stop, but they gave her the highest components...
Btw, Mao is not my favourite, she was just better! This is a thought that all the area where I was sit had...

Lookingood
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
After she fell 3S She landed beautiful triple lutz.. What do you mean she wanted to stop? are you her Brain or something?

leafygreens
07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
The crazy thing about 1994 is that there should have been other ladies in contention besides Nancy and Oksana. But let's just judge the two against each other. Oksana is justified as winning because she was more artistic and the artistic mark is the tiebreaker. The tiebreaker - meaning, the technical aspects of two skaters are identical before factoring in artistry. But Nancy did a 3/3 and a 3/2, Oksana did no combos, ok, she did a 2A/2T. Then Scott Hamilton goes "She did five triples, all different!!" but Oksana's 3F was two footed. Their technical skating wasn't in the same realm. The good things about Oksana's performance was that she was very fast, her 3z was insanely high, she had the donut spin and was overall more fun to watch vs. Nancy's cheesy artistry. But do these things excuse Oksana's errors? No, they don't. What the scores were basically saying is that shaking tail feathers is worth more than a cleanly executed program with 3/3 and 3/2 combo. It's amazing that judging that is so blatantly wrong can't be fixed somehow.

The other thing that bothers me about Oksana is that she did the same LP in 1994 that she did in 1993. So this means that Oksana only had one senior LP her entire career!

Tanja90
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
After she fell 3S She landed beautiful triple lutz.. What do you mean she wanted to stop? are you her Brain or something?

Yes, of course I am :rolleyes:
Read better...I wrote LIKE she wanted to stop...Watch the video...the reaction after the fall and her face after the popped axel gave me that impression! She could have landed another 3-3 but my idea wouldn't have changend!

Lookingood
07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
OK... No need to blabla with you anymore. (I will move on)

BmcC102
07-19-2011, 02:28 AM

I'm with you Tanja. I still don't get it. :huh:

Marco
07-19-2011, 03:50 AM
1994 Olympics competition for me, not just Baiul over Kerrigan (which was a right decision for skating but a wrong decision for that particular competition), but also the under-appreciation of Lu Chen and Yuka Sato. The free skates really should have gone Kerrigan, Chen and Sato, or Chen, Kerrigan and Sato. Baiul should still medal due to a strong sp (IIRC Sato singled the lutz in the sp?), but I don't think the combination of her performances deserved the win.

The men's competition I think was correctly judged. Urmanov beat Stojko 8-1. It was a pity the 3 veterans faltered in the sp, but I really think Petrenko deserved to win the free, followed by Browning and then Urmanov and Boitano. Stojko and Candeloro had no business comparing quality skating with them.

Other controversial decisions are Lipinski over Gusmeroli (and even Kwan IMO) at 1997 worlds sp which ultimately cost Kwan the world title that year, as well as adding Soldatova to the mix of Malinina, Kwan and Gusmeroli at 1999 worlds. Her being held up ultimately cost Malinina her medal.

essence_of_soy
07-19-2011, 06:21 AM
2011 Worlds in the ladies event.

A lot of the lesser known skaters did 3/3 combos with very little credit. Some of the bigger names bombed and were still ranked above them.

I still can't accept Kim winning the short with a botched 3lutz. But then, maybe the judges were celebrating the six year anniversary of giving Irina Slutskaya first in the short when she fumbled the short program combo in 2005 at Worlds (also in Moscow), too.

TheIronLady
07-19-2011, 07:48 AM
2011 Worlds in the ladies event.

A lot of the lesser known skaters did 3/3 combos with very little credit. Some of the bigger names bombed and were still ranked above them.

I still can't accept Kim winning the short with a botched 3lutz. But then, maybe the judges were celebrating the six year anniversary of giving Irina Slutskaya first in the short when she fumbled the short program combo in 2005 at Worlds (also in Moscow), too.

Just because it's summertime doesn't mean you have to be sarcastic about the judges. They would not pander to a Moscow audience or vote a certain way because Yu-Na Kim's mother owns them. I'm serious about this.

As a die hard Mao fan, I can say I think the SP was judged fairly. Kim's lutz, while not deserving of the +1 GOE given by one cheating judge, was scored appropriately by most of the panel. Her spin positions are awful, but they judged them according to the rule book, rewarding her blurred speed. Kim deserved the SP win.