PDA

View Full Version : Most poorly judged competitions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Amy03
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I think I would have Yuna and Nakano gold and silver for 2008 Worlds, depending on how generous I want to be on some of Nakano's jumps. Asada's mistake in the free skate was very, very distracting and I would have her bronze at best.

that would be soo ridicoules mao had a spectacular sp and a gourges fs even with the mistake i the begining, carolina on the other hand had a terrible program and her jumps and landing were horrible she shouldn't even have been i the top 10 and certainly NOT on the podium, what the judges saw in her program was and is still a mystery to me, yukari had beautiful programs her ending up in 4th place was a big surprise and very unfair, yuna had good programs therefor i think she deserved the bronze

2008 worlds should have been:
1. Mao Asada (which she did get)
2. Yukari Nakano
3. Yuna Kim (which she also did get)

(carolina kostner was soooo overscored that woman is a real mystery and for someone who was given a silver her programs were a real pain and nerveracking to see i actually wouldn't even have her in the top ten if i should be honest)

poor yukari she was soo robbed that silver medal should have been hers

Garden Kitty
07-12-2011, 09:50 PM
The worst judged events are any events in which my favorites didn't win.

Susan M
07-13-2011, 07:21 AM
The PCS mark, as well as the former presentation mark, both had specific criteria. That can't be argued with.

The PCS mark may have criteria, but last I looked they were not very specific at all, at least not in the kind of quantifiable way that would produce consistent results. OTOH, the guidance for GOE are quite detailed, yet even there we see the same element get marks ranging from 0 to +3 or even -1 to +2 sometimes.

The rules for PCS use a lot of very subjective terms, so it is not surprising that the PCS marks are so easily used to nudge skaters up or down based on national bias, personal style preference, deal du jour, or just who left the best liquor in their hotel room.

Can someone please direct me to the ISU directive with the most current guidance on marking PCS?

The worst judged events are any events in which my favorites didn't win.
I suppose this was meant to be clever, but it is not really true. If one is a fan of skating (rather than of skaters) one will have seen lots of bad judging even in events with no particular favorite. I'm betting many fans can even site an instance of bad judging that worked to the benefit of their favorite.

escaflowne9282
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned 2002 Grand Prix Ladies

paskatefan
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned 2002 Grand Prix Ladies

Is this the one that Irina won over Michelle? Or did that happen in December 2001? With all due respect to Irina, I felt she was overmarked & the title should have gone to Michelle.

2001 Worlds - Men - Todd deserved nothing less than the silver medal here.

2009 Worlds - Meryl & Charlie should have been on the podium. They were wonderful that year at US Nationals and were even better at that year's Worlds.

2010 Olympics - Tanith & Ben should have won the bronze medal

Jenna
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
2011 TEB - Kiira Korpi's triple lutz should have been downgraded or at least under-rotated in the FS.

See here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZvbE1Cujlw) at the 5:30 mark.

Triple Butz
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
2011 TEB - Kiira Korpi's triple lutz should have been downgraded or at least under-rotated in the FS.

I remember arguing with you about this when it happened and I thought you disagreed with me? Welcome to the dark side :EVILLE: :lol:

That was a really infuriating call.

escaflowne9282
07-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Is this the one that Irina won over Michelle? Or did that happen in December 2001? With all due respect to Irina, I felt she was overmarked & the title should have gone to Michelle.

Yeah, it was the 2001-2002 season GPF ,which had to be held in December that year. Irina should have been at best third :shuffle:

Jenna
07-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I remember arguing with you about this when it happened and I thought you disagreed with me? Welcome to the dark side :EVILLE: :lol:

That was a really infuriating call.

:lol: I did, but I re-watched it and I've changed my mind! It wasn't a good call.

BigB08822
07-14-2011, 03:12 AM

That was one of the many obvious in real time calls that happened during the season but was somehow not seen, yet they can see a UR on the next skater who was not even close to being that underrotated.

skateboy
07-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Don't remember the exact year (1990 or 91?), but Kurt Browning won Trophee Lalique over Vascheslav Zagorodniuk. Kurt's program was one of his worst ever! I think he landed two triples and screwed up every other jump. Zag skated lights out and still lost. This was one time I agreed with Scott Hamilton's ranting and raving about the result.

Dave of the North
07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Don't remember the exact year (1990 or 91?), but Kurt Browning won Trophee Lalique over Vascheslav Zagorodniuk. Kurt's program was one of his worst ever! I think he landed two triples and screwed up every other jump. Zag skated lights out and still lost. This was one time I agreed with Scott Hamilton's ranting and raving about the result.

1991. He injured his back during that skate and there went the Olympic hopes...

Twilight1
07-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Funny I was in Kitchener for that GPF and don't even remember who was on the podium in the ladies event or who even competed there. :o

I remember being thrilled that B&K won the gold... only the ice dance event stands out for me there. Oh and I remember liking S&P's 'Orchid' program.

museksk8r
07-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Yes, that was a horrible oversight on the part of the technical panel not to catch that obvious error. :wall:

briancoogaert
07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
2001 Worlds - Men - Todd deserved nothing less than the silver medal here.
Oooops, I've always felt Tim Goebel deserved to be higher than Todd Eldredge at this competition ;)