PDA

View Full Version : teeth whitening ideas?

Pages : [1] 2

personwhoishere
07-09-2011, 05:17 AM
So, I've been really self-conscious about my smile for the longest, because I know my teeth aren't as white as they could be. They're not awful, but I would like them to be whiter. I've used aquafresh multi-action whitening toothpaste and it doesn't seem to do much of anything. Anyone have any ideas or personal experiences with products/procedures that have actually worked?

Jenna
07-09-2011, 05:21 AM
I've never used them, but what about Crest Whitening Strips?

Matryeshka
07-09-2011, 06:13 AM
If you're patient, baking soda and water. It works wonders, is cheap, and it helps your breath too. Course, it tastes horrible and can also make your gum bleeds if you brush too hard, but I switched over to baking soda in the evenings about three weeks before school dance in high school and always noticed a gradually whiter smile.

Anita18
07-09-2011, 06:40 AM
My sister bit the bullet (no pun intended :P) and got her teeth professionally whitened by her dentist. I did notice they were whiter - not toothpaste-commercial, can-read-with kind of brightness, but a bluer shade of white, which reads brighter.

If I were as neurotic about my smile (and my :D smile is actually one of my more memorable features), I'd have them done too, but my teeth are bad as it is so I really don't want to mess with them unnecessarily. Plus I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to tooth pain. Her teeth were so sensitive afterwards she had to take Advil for a couple days. :o But she thought the pain was worth it. YMMV.

Obviously, it's expensive (and painful) but it's really the only thing that will make a visible difference, from what I've heard. We've tried the Whitestrips before and they don't do much.

BaileyCatts
07-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I've never used them, but what about Crest Whitening Strips?

Don't even waste your money on Crest Whitestrips. They do little to nothing. You might (subconsciously) notice a very very very very very slight difference, but it only lasts a day or two. Luckily the ones I used were free and I didn't actually fork over the overpriced costs for Crest Whitestrips. There's got to be something out there much better than those.

KikiSashaFan
07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
I won a gift certificate for Pearl teeth whitening, and I was happy with how it came out. They don't use trays, which I'm told are uncomfortable. Instead they coat the teeth with a gel and then use a blue light thing to activate the gel. They do it in 3 minute or so intervals with rinse/spit breaks in between. The whole procedure took about an hour and was painless. I noticed for a day or two after my gums were a little more sensitive than normal, but other than that no side effects. IIRC they said it usually costs about 150 bucks, but it really does work. They colored matched my teeth to a chart before and after and there was definitely a huge difference.

Cyn
07-09-2011, 07:18 AM
My dentist gave me a complimentary (as a reward for being a good patient after a particularly long and :yikes: procedure) whitening pen for my lower front teeth after having my four upper incisors crowned.

The stuff goes by the brand name of "Liquid Smile" and IIRC, it usually runs about $50-$60 per stick. While it doesn't work as well as the custom-made trays/professional whitening actually done in the office, it does a much better job than any of those crap Crest Whitestrips. It's done a good job of brightening my teeth (especially tackling staining from years of drinking coffee and smoking :scream: ). The stuff has 12% Hydrogen Peroxide as well as Ammonium Hydroxide (with other ingredients, but I think those are the main two involved in the whitening process).

Speaking of the worthless Crest products, does anyone else find their commercials with the same brunette chick (whose teeth are already close to Ross Geller levels of white) in each of them having a crisis worrying that her teeth won't be white enough for all of her perceived to be oh-so-important social calendar to be annoying as fcuk-all? Some of those obnoxious ads include:

- Girlfriend to her: "I've set you up on a blind date - he's a dentist, so you absolutely must whiten your teeth;" (insta-panic on her part, ending with the friend giving that cheesy grin and "thumbs-up" move when annoying chick and dentist meet, followed by annoying chick winking at the camera)
- "I'm going to Vegas in 2 hours - how will I ever have the time to whiten my teeth enough so they look awesome to play the slots :drama:?
- Agent: "You have a modeling gig in two weeks - no caffeine, no red wine, or anything that will stain your teeth" (with the screen cutting to her doing all of the above with a smirk because she just knows the Crest Whitestrips will save the day and fool her agent)
- Same chick now about to get married, freaks out that her white wedding gown will make her teeth look like the night staff at Waffle House, thus shaming her hubby-to-be, her family, and ruining her wedding photos.

Each of these ads ends with her flirting, winking, and acting like the cat that swallowed the Hydrogen Peroxide :rolleyes: and make me wish she'd bite down wrong on a fork and crack one of her incisors in half :EVILLE: .

BaileyCatts
07-09-2011, 07:42 AM
....Speaking of the worthless Crest products, does anyone else find their commercials with the same brunette chick (whose teeth are already close to Ross Geller levels of white) in each of them having a crisis worrying that her teeth won't be white enough for all of her perceived to be oh-so-important social calendar. Some of those obnoxious ads include: .

YES!! I despise those commercials with a passion. I could go on but I know people hate novel-long posts.

Continue thread. :P

Cyn
07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
YES!!…. I could go on but I know people hate novel-long posts.

I think I fulfilled the annoying novel-long post issue :o :slinkaway ……

BaileyCatts
07-09-2011, 08:04 AM
^^ LOL!! :lol: Oh I don't consider that one long at all. Didn't mean it to sound that way!! I loved it!!! :D

I really really hate that commercial.

orbitz
07-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree that the Crest Whitening strips don't seem to do very much, at least for me anyway. I've even spent $$$ on the most advanced Crest Whitening strips and thought the results were less than satisfying. I think they work if your teeth are yellow because of surfaced stain, i.e. from drinking coffee. If you're teeth are stained from the inside out because of old age, medications, etc. then the strips are useless.

The best result I had with teeth whitening was many years ago when I used the hydrogen pyroxide solution and dental tray from my dentist. But the solution irritated my gum and wearing the dental tray was uncomfortable. If I was to do it again today then I would just spend money for the laser whitening procedure. The resullt won't last forever and you'll have to be conscious about what you eat.

How about just cover your mouth demurely with your hand every time you smile? It'll save you tons of $$$ on whitening procedures :lol:

mikey
07-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I had good results with Listerine Whitening Quick Dissolving Strips, although I used them a lot more often than recommended at first. I started out using them once daily for maybe two months. People noticed a change pretty quickly. Since then, I use them maybe once a week and I've been happy with the results.

I had a teeth whitening procedure done at the dentist once. The initial results were good, but I had a lot of residual shooting pains (the dentist called them "zingers"), and then the whiteness faded pretty quickly. It was expensive, and I would not recommend it at all.

BittyBug
07-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I second Matryeshka's suggestion of plain old baking powder, but if you can afford it, buy an electric toothbrush like an Oral B and use it with that, since it has natural polishing action. And if you want an extra kicker, once or twice a week wet the brush with hydrogen peroxide.

PDilemma
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
YES!! I despise those commercials with a passion. I could go on but I know people hate novel-long posts.

Continue thread. :P

One more set of commercials in the category of attempting to make people panic about something that doesn't matter--in this case having white enough teeth for a road trip.

I always thought the modeling one was particularly dumb because if a model's teeth are not white enough, they will be lightened on the photos. Do the ad people really think we don't know how much photos are altered?

The commercials that annoys me most in the panic about something that doesn't matter category are the Dove commercials about having unattractive arm pits.

made_in_canada
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
One dentist I had suggested making a mouthwash with 1% hydrogen peroxide and rinsing twice a day.