PDA

View Full Version : Olympic high jumper in ballet class (photo)

aliceanne
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
The answer to the question "Are real men graceful?"

http://www.art.com/products/p14028893-sa-i2832047/john-dominis-olympic-high-jumper-walter-davis-doing-ballet-exercises-in-class-of-women-dancers.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=5007927&ui=33c2507aab544130b9a5b9d6b17ea59f

Skittl1321
07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Interesting picture.... I guess I would say the answer to the question is "ugh, sort of?" His arms seem to be in a completely different position than all the women (his arm over his head is reaching for the wall- they are all reaching for the barre with the under hand.) I'd say a "real man" who was a ballet dancer would look much more graceful than most athletes who take ballet for sport conditioning (or picture posing, as I don't know the story behind it) though this guy has a lovely arch to his back.

And the 2nd woman from the front has her foot in such a painful position that I hope she was caught coming up to pointe, and isn't holding that... that hurts my ankles looking at it (and I see too many girls in dance recitals who dance like that, and shouldn't be on pointe at all!)

aliceanne
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I think he is beautiful.

Buzz
07-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Very interesting man and apparently he is still alive and kicking at 80. Good on him!

genevieve
07-08-2011, 08:27 PM
The answer to the question "Are real men graceful?"

http://www.art.com/products/p14028893-sa-i2832047/john-dominis-olympic-high-jumper-walter-davis-doing-ballet-exercises-in-class-of-women-dancers.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=5007927&ui=33c2507aab544130b9a5b9d6b17ea59f

I wasn't aware anyone was asking that question (or what the asker thinks makes a "real man", since I'm inferring from the context male ballet dancers wouldn't qualify?), but I think it's a neat photo.

Gazpacho
07-09-2011, 12:37 AM
That was taken in 1953, before high jumpers started going backward over the bar (Fosbury flop). I wonder if it's still part of their training regimens?

Holley Calmes
07-09-2011, 04:32 AM
What struck me were his very hairy legs. A cute contrast to tights. Seriously, good for him. Ballet is always a great exercise for anyone, unless of course, you are wearing pointe shoes when you obviously aren't ready for them. I'm going to suppose the photographer just caught them as they were in various segments of their releve.

aliceanne
07-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know if ballet is regular part of a high jumper's training, but I would think that stretch and extension would be important. You wouldn't want a bent elbow or knee, or a crooked trajectory to knock the bar off.

What impresses me are hus incredible stretch and clean lines.

aliceanne
07-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I wasn't aware anyone was asking that question (or what the asker thinks makes a "real man", since I'm inferring from the context male ballet dancers wouldn't qualify?), but I think it's a neat photo.

I was thinking of Elvis' comment, "real men don't point their toes" and "male skating should showcase strength and power". The implication being that it is unmanly to focus on aesthetics and takes away from athleticism.

There is nothing unmanly about this athlete and he is improving his athletic performance by focusing on aesthetics.

GarrAarghHrumph
07-10-2011, 01:18 AM
That was taken in 1953, before high jumpers started going backward over the bar (Fosbury flop). I wonder if it's still part of their training regimens?

I'm not even sure if it was broadly a part of most high jumpers' regimens back then. I know that at least at the high school and college level in the US, it's not commonly done.