PDA

View Full Version : Missing Mother found after 41 years

Louise
07-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Did anyone see this article? : http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/woman-missing-41-years-found-alive-florida-police-142953331.html

What I find strange is that DNA results took TWO years to determine if the unidentified remains were a match. And then the police decide to do a search on her name and birthdate and then FIND her. How sucky was law enforcement back then? Brilliant cop work. Right.

Gazpacho
07-08-2011, 05:17 AM
What I find strange is that DNA results took TWO years to determine if the unidentified remains were a match. And then the police decide to do a search on her name and birthdate and then FIND her. How sucky was law enforcement back then? Brilliant cop work. Right.I wouldn't blame the police. DNA testing is so backed up that there are rape kits that have been sitting in the lab for decades waiting to be tested. Marie Claire had an article on that last year. A case like hers is not a top priority for police.

Sadly, the woman whose remains were found in 1996 is still unidentified :(

danceronice
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Yep, DNA is not a quick test--it's not like CSI where everything gets done immediately. The only show I've ever seen that depicts it realistically was Detroit 187, where they were told "State lab has a six-month backlog, wait your turn." (Of course, it's set in Detroit, no one would believe it if they showed a shiney new lab. Rightly so.) And unless the person whose remains they found matches a local missing person closely enough to make it worth tracking down a DNA sample if that's even possible, there's no way just having the remains lets them identify her. You can't test someone's identity without something to compare it to. That means narrowing down age and ideally race (race can be done, provided there's enough skeleton left; gender's pretty easy with full-grown adults), hoping you have teeth and dental records exist if you don't have a DNA sample or anyone closely related to test against...it's a massive undertaking.

As for matching a name and address, when she disappeared that was hand labor, not running it through Google. After as long as it's been they weren't really actively looking hard and you can't blame them. Most people who disappear like that are either dead or actively do not want to be found. I wonder what SHE thinks about the "Missing woman discovered!"

manleywoman
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I find it stranger that she didn't contact her own family for 41 years. 14 children? She must have either wanted out badly, or she really did have mental health issues and she's lucky she found her way to Florida in the first place.