PDA

View Full Version : Sedation Dentistry -- anyone done this?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

triple_toe
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Finding a good dentist makes all the difference. I go to a fantastic dental practice where everyone, down to the receptionist, is totally awesome, friendly, and sweet. I found this dentist by reading through reviews on yelp, many of which included praises on his demeanor. I really suggest looking through online reviews in addition to asking people you know for recommendations.

I didn't go for a few years when I was a teen because I was scared. That had to change pretty quickly when I got this monster toothache and needed an emergency appointment.

Now I luuurve it. I get to kick back and watch TV while someone pokes around in my mouth a little bit. :summer: I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but I have had a root canal, an extraction, crowns, and numerous fillings... my teeth suck. The worst was the extraction because my jaw got really sore during the process. I was terrified before the root canal but it was one of the easiest procedures I've had, just a light pressure at one point. I've had fillings that were worse.

If you have a fear of the dentist look extensively until you find someone you're comfortable with. Book an appointment to discuss everything, including sedation, prior to getting anything done. Write any questions you might have in a notebook and bring it with you to the appointment. Whatever you do, DO NOT IGNORE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TEETH. They won't just go away. You don't want to be pacing your apartment at 3 in the morning howling in pain like I was, trust me. Good luck!

orbitz
07-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Strangely I enjoy going to the dentist. I don't even have to take any kind of numbing injections when I get my fillings done or replace. My biggest complaint is that 95% of the time it's the dental hygienist that works on my teeth instead of my cute dentist himself ;) I also hate it when they try to push procedures onto you to make extra money, but I've learned to refuse them. For example, I always decline the flouride rinse that they always try to give me but never tell me beforehand that it'll cost an extra $20 when I walk out the door.

Susan1
07-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I had IV sedation when I was 19, too (also for wisdom teeth). I didn't know they were going to put me out, so it was a little freaky, but also appreciated.

I must have been completely knocked out when I had my wisdom teeth out (two cut and two pulled) because I don't remember anything but going to sleep and waking up with my mouth packed full of cotton. When I had the IV "sedation", I could turn my head or "open wider" when asked, but that's all I remember.

And, yes, I do look forward to the nitrous to get my teeth cleaned. It's a good escape for awhile. And it's just enough that I don't have any side effects as soon as they take the mask off. My cousin has panic attacks from a bad dental experience, but nitrous does not work on her.

Grannyfan
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I live in a small town, but we have three very good dentists. I'd probably be happy with any of them. I chose my dentist because of the hygienist; she was amazing. My sister, on the other hand, goes to one of the other dentists and always complains about how rough her hygienist is. Sadly, my hygienist has since retired. The new one is okay, but I don't think I'd ever find one to equal her predecessor.

My niece is a dental hygienist, and when she was in school she needed people to practice on, so several in my family volunteered. It's amazing how much more thorough the cleaning process is when it's being graded. :) It was wonderful, but I know that in the average dental office the hygienists don't have that much time to devote to each patient.

mkats
07-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I hate it when the dentist keeps trying to carry on a conversation while working in your mouth. Last time my dentist kept telling the randomest stories, randomly punctuated by "you understand?? you understand??" I don't think she realized that I couldn't respond with two hands and multiple tools in my mouth :lol:

Lanie
07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
As someone who cannot stand needles, IVs, things of that nature, I wouldn't do it, but I have a very sympathetic, gentle dentist. I love her and have been seeing her for ten years. I'm cool with her giving me tons of shots of anaesthetic in my mouth, but I flip out if I have to get a shot or blood drawn. Go figure.

Definitely get recommendations and look around!

moebius
07-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I used to loathe going to the dentist when I was young b/c the dentist was too cheap not to use novacaine on me, even though he was digging deeper than normal into my gums to clean them out. My gums were in bad shape (had my 1st cleaning when I was around 12, plus I was prone to bad gums b/c I was cursed with gum disease, so I have to keep my mouth clean all the time). My last cleaning before I went to college was when I was 15. So for almost 10 years I didn't go to the dentist and 10 years of not getting them cleaned made my front bottom teeth look like it had gum plastered around the gumline. My parents saw that and said it was time to get my teeth cleaned. I was fearing intense pain of removing 10 years of gunk from my mouth. But this time the dentist was different, as our family moved while I was in college. When the new dentist saw my mouth he said that I had to have the cleaning done in 2 sessions. This dentist gave me 4 shots of novocaine during the deep cleaning and I did not feel pain at all. Since then, I vowed to keep my mouth clean as possible by brushing after every meal, flossing, using water pick whenever possible, even at work. It still hurts a little when I get my bi-annual cleaning, but not as much as before (I guess having gum disease, I need to keep it super clean, because a normal person with my brushing regimen should feel no pain when getting their teeth cleaned). Now I don't fear the dentist anymore.

Holley Calmes
07-11-2011, 02:25 AM
I had a dentist who tortured me. He said he didn't believe in giving children and teen novacaine because we probably didn't need it. (!!!!!) I have soft teeth and had a lot of cavities. As an adolescent, I would have 10-12 fillings every year, and it was agony, but I didn't know that novacaine even existed. It was really awful when he blew that cold air into the newly drilled cavity. I kept telling my mother that he hurt me, but she never did anything about it. It was, literally, torture. Now I find out that novacaine was more expensive, and I don't know if my parents ordered him not to give me any or not. All I know was that I subsequently developed a dental phobia that has taken until the age of 57 to get over.

LilJen
07-11-2011, 02:33 AM
I don't have an irrational fear of dentists, I have an irrational fear of doctors who go by their first name. I hate that.

:rofl:

I know, that sort of thing usually annoys me. . . but he was really good. Now that some 15 years have passed and he's older he may very well have dropped that shtick.

Rob
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I had sedation dentistry as a teenager because I have very sensitive teeth and novocaine didn't work well. It was great. Novocaine works better now (or they just know how to put it in the right place better than they used to) so now I just deal with it.

Jaana
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I have been given a shot to take the pain off, thatīs enough for me. And I always say to the doctor that just a liiittle one is good, no need to give a shot which takes hours to go away.