PDA

View Full Version : UK News of the World Phone Hacking

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

allezfred
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't know if anyone else has been following this story about how journalists at UK tabloid News of the World hacked into the voicemail accounts of celebrities and politicians. The affair has just escalated in recents days with news about how the voicemail of murder victims, those who died in the 7/7 London bombing and their relatives may also have been targeted.

Wiki summary of the affair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_the_World_phone_hacking_affair)

There was also a very interesting article in Vanity Fair published last month.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/06/rupert-murdoch-news-of-the-world-201106

It's all pretty disgusting stuff and now advertisers are pulling out their ad campaigns from the paper.

Reuven
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I watch a lot of BBC World Service. There have been a few mentions in US media. I'm wondering how much coverage it will get when it's found they've been doing the same here. No, there are no stories about that....yet.
Shorter News Corp: We don't care for no steenking laws. Schmucks.

milanessa
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Revolting. Rupert Murdoch is scum. CNN is covering it.

Coco
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm sure Rupert will emerge from this unscathed. But it's beyond disgusting. Hacking into a missing girl's cell and deleting messages, which gave investigators false hope? Beyond the pale.

Sadly, the sentences for these crimes are probably not long enough.

Aussie Willy
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
They have been talking about it a lot of the radio here. Disgusting behaviour from that paper.

Interesting that the papers that Murdoch owns here has this story buried deep in those papers.

antmanb
07-07-2011, 01:34 PM
It was the same here - the story was not really covered or buried in the later pages of the tabloids.

The Guardian newspaper is the one that has been leading the stories.

So far Ford, the Co-op, Sainburys, Asda, O2, Boots have all pulled their advertising from the papers and its seems the rest of their top ten sponsors are falling over themselves to pull away.

There are serious allegations being put forward that the News of the World paid off people at the Metropolitan Police in order to bury the intial investigation which more or less found nothing and blindly believed the story of the one rogue reporter acting without authority of the news paper.

There is also a lot of politcal shite coming David Cameron's way for hiring Coulson (former editor in chief of the news of the world) as communications director for the government, and being extremely pally with Rebekah Brooks.

skatefan
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
And now the suggestion is that the families of dead soldiers have also had their phones hacked.

Along with a large, and growing, number of other advertisers, the Royal British Legion has withdrawn its adverts from the newspaper ...

And not only the family of Millie Dowler but also the families of the murdered schoolgirls Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells in Soham.

:(

Cachoo
07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Thank God for "Vanity Fair." This is a serious issue and until recently no one was talking about it that I know of (at least stateside.) Disgusting practice and an invasion of privacy not to mention the pain and suffering the hackers caused that poor girl's family.

Catherine M
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I've been following the story via a couple of Reuters articles online. See that CNN has recently picked up on the story. How Brooks still has a job is beyond me.

Hopefully the ad revenue will continue to go away and that those in charge loose their jobs and go to jail.

allezfred
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
There is also a lot of politcal shite coming David Cameron's way for hiring Coulson (former editor in chief of the news of the world) as communications director for the government, and being extremely pally with Rebekah Brooks.

Gordon Brown also attended her wedding in 2009 and John Prescott blames her for a lot of the tension between Brown and Tony Blair.

Prescott needs no encouragement to think ill of Rebekah Brooks. He is convinced that she ingratiated herself with British politicians, then used her position to pit them against one another. “When I was trying to keep the balance between Brown and Blair, who didn’t always get on, Blair would complain that Brown had said something, and I would say, ‘Where did you find that out?’ ‘Well, Rebekah Wade told me.’ Then the other one would have dinner with Rebekah Wade and tell Brown about Blair.” He looks scornfully into the distance. “I said, ‘This bloody woman is playing the two of you off each other—will you bloody dump her, for Christ’s sake!’” (Rebekah Brooks declined to be interviewed for this story.)

It's a bit hypocritical (myself included) that the real public outrage has only happened in the past few days. It's as if it wasn't really a problem if it was being done to royalty, celebrities and politicians...

*Jen*
07-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I've been following this quite closely as it has interesting implications for privacy laws. And it's absolutely disgusting.

Beyond the moral implications, they potentially destroyed vital evidence in the Milly Dowler case and led her family to believe that she might still be alive and listening to her voicemails. And yet every time I think it can't get much worse...it does.

Allezfred, I agree with you to some extent, but celebrities, royalty and politicians are in the public eye. Like it or not, they're treated differently by the law, especially those who have put themselves in the public domain. There is, in theory, more legal protection for private individuals, and I think the public find it far less acceptable for their privacy to be breached than those who have lived great parts of their lives in the spotlight. Maybe people feel like they have a right to know?

antmanb
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
It's a bit hypocritical (myself included) that the real public outrage has only happened in the past few days. It's as if it wasn't really a problem if it was being done to royalty, celebrities and politicians...

It is hypocritical (equally me included), and I think more should have been done at the time, but it is probably difficult to make people care that much if, eg, Vanessa Feltz's voicemail was hacked, or, in fact, any celebrity to print gossip about them, compared to deliberately plotting to delete voicemail messages from a missing girl's voicemail in order to mislead the family into believing that she was still alive in order to get the exclusive scoop on the family's hope in having their little girl returned.

Yes both actions are a breach of privacy, illegal and all for a story. But the second example seems that much worse than the celebrity spying.

attyfan
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
msnbc has been covering this on-line, somewhat (although the Anthony trial has somewhat overshadowed it) Glad to see the advertisers pulling out; I hope they never come back.

milanessa
07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
CNN is reporting that Murdoch has announced the last issue of News of the World will be published on Sunday.

allezfred
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Statement from James Murdoch (http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/31458/)