PDA

View Full Version : Any Torchwood Fans?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

mindy74
07-09-2011, 03:06 AM
The xfinity video will not stop buffering for me. I tried to watch, but I could not take the stopping every 2 seconds. I will try again tomorrow, and if it still isn't working, I will resort to, um, other methods.

Bunny Hop
07-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I thought the first episode was pretty good. The story is pretty compelling, and the acting is generally good. There's still enough scenes set in Britain for it to feel like a British show - they still have stuff shot in Cardiff. Not really used to seeing a BBC programme with such a big budget though - the fact its had money poured into it is pretty obvious, but doesn't detract from the story. Gwen still annoyed me, but she's not as irritating as she was in the first series. Looking forward to episode 2.

Gwen has the world's most placid baby. It didn't even whimper while guns were firing, rocket launchers were fired, and helicopters exploded. Did she and Rhys drug it at the same time they armed themselves?:lol:

Glad to see there was still a bit of humour. Loved the bit where it turned out to be Captain Jack who took Rex's phone from him on the plane.

Apparently the CIA has no trained archivists, because that was one badly organised records repository. There were boxes on the floor, no database to tell anyone which files were in which boxes or where they were located, no fire supression system, and they just let people wander around the shelves. Russell T Davies should have gone and visited the BBC archives to see how a real archive is run before writing that scene.

Hope they don't make Jack mortal at the end of the series, because that would go against his established chronology as we know it from Doctor Who (face of Bo and all that).

CynicElle
07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I enjoyed the first episode too. It was a little strange to see Jack and Gwen transplanted into a much flashier show, but I liked the new regulars and the whole premise of the new season.

Is it spoilery to say that Gwen and Rhys's baby is adorable? I'm not usually into TV kids, but awwwwww. It killed me when she was chortling away while Gwen was firing a gun out the door.

victoriaheidi
07-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Gwen and Rhys have the cutest baby on TV! But honestly, I was expecting a really cute baby because Eve is gorgeous and Kai is pretty good-looking, too!

I really, really had a hard time getting into the new feel of the show. It's going to take some getting used to! It feels more like an action movie (and, in several moments, a crime drama) than what I think of when I hear "Torchwood." I'm hoping for more wit in future episodes and more reasons to like Rex and Esther.

Also, favorite moment: the helicopter is following them and Rhys yells something like, "we have a baby here!" and Jack responds with, "oh, yeah, I have a present for you back there..." SO Torchwood!

CarolineL
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Haha, plus, that's pretty early.

Getting excited for the Starz version (and for the inevitable youtube posting of the BBC version)!

I just checked and the BBC is showing Torchwood in England at 9:00 p.m. next Thursday. The 7:10 p.m. was for John's other show, Tonight's the Night, which is rather different (and I will be watching it too, cause I can't resist The Barrowman)

miffy
07-09-2011, 11:00 PM
We couldn't wait for the BBC showing so we downloaded the Starz one. Loved it! :cheer: I am so relieved as I am so let down by the latest 2 seasons of Doctor Who. This is really cheering me up. :)

znachki
07-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I really, really had a hard time getting into the new feel of the show. It's going to take some getting used to! ... I'm hoping for more wit in future episodes .....

In all fairness, they had a lot of introducing and set up to do. I think we'll get a bit more "Torchwoodness" in the next couple of episodes, including some vintage Cap't. Jack. :swoon:

mindy74
07-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Finally was able to watch it (Starz version) after finding a good link.
I enjoyed it. I liked the actors--Bill Pullman is creepy as hell--and the storyline is interesting and thought-provoking.
I will still never forgive you, Russell T. Davies, but I've decided supporting John Barrowman is more important.

MarieM
07-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I loveeed it !!
But Torchwood in the USA ? Come on !

Amy L
07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I loveeed it !!
But Torchwood in the USA ? Come on !

It was either USA or nothing. BBC didn't want to pay for it, but an American channel took the majority of the cost. Though don't worry, it shouldn't become too American, there are supposed to be scenes based in Wales in every episode.

jeffisjeff
07-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I stumbled upon the new series this weekend. I watched that last half hour or so and was shocked at the bad acting from Mekhi Phifer. Which is weird because I liked him in ER. Did anyone else think he was just awful?

Artemis@BC
07-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I stumbled upon the new series this weekend. I watched that last half hour or so and was shocked at the bad acting from Mekhi Phifer. Which is weird because I liked him in ER. Did anyone else think he was just awful?

I didn't think it was bad acting, but rather bad writing. I was not too impressed with how they wrote the new characters, esp. the Mekhi Phifer character and CIA-chick-given-RETCON. (Tho Bill Pullman's character was pretty great.) But it's early days.

"It's early days" is really what I'm telling myself in general here. I knew it was going to be a 10-ep arch and would have to introduce a lot of new characters & plotpoints so would probably start slow, but even so I was not blown away by the first episode. Except for being "blown away" by the heavy artillery -- really, was that necessary? Helicopter chases and rocket launchers are not why I love the Whoniverse. Thank goodness for the old-school Torchwood one-liners, that saved it.

And the CIA has the power to second Jack and Gwen? WTF? That whole "456" business better be resolved/explained in some satisfactory way or I will really, really resent the whole Americanization of the series. I know, I know, if Starz hadn't picked it up we wouldn't have any more Torchwood at all, but I didn't watch the old version just because it was an available scifi series, I watched because it was really, really good. And new one ... so far, not so much.

But I am keeping an open mind and am trying to be optimistic that it will get better. The best bits for me were 1. Gwen stopping to put the little ear muffs on Anwyn before going all Rambo with her guns :rofl: and 2. the interesting twist with Jack being moral -- lots of scope for plot points there (and obviously it will be reverse in the end once they reverse the immortality of the rest of the human race).

missflick
07-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Just watched it. Loved it! The first 20 minutes were a bit blah, but then I got into it.

I had no probs with MP's acting. I liked everybody.

Well, in a way, it is okay if Jack Harkness becomes mortal. After all, John Barrowman is showing his age, IMO. (But still handsome). They can get someone else to do the Face of Bo.

On that note, I kind of figured that if everyone on earth was becoming (sort of) immortal, than it stood to reason that Jack Harkness was somehow behind it (even inadvertently).

MarieM
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I hope so !!
But thank you american chanel then :)

Captain Jack. Yummie.

znachki
07-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Just saw episode 2. I thought it was better than episode 1. The new TW team is coming together.

I really liked the whole idea that people are still aging, even though they aren't dying. Really speaks to the whole Face of Boe thing. Also, very cool about the antibiotics.

Pullman continues to knock it out of the park. Barrowman is going to really have to step up his game when he and Pullman share the screen or he's going to get knocked off the screen.