PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD July 6-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Allen
07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
This x infinity. It really does a disservice to the world of dance to present duets as being almost always about heterosexual relationships.

When Justin Giles was describing the men's group routine, I kept thinking, why does it have to be about a girl...could the intention not just have been the ending of a relationship? I also wondered if the producers coaxed Giles into saying that it was about a woman? Nigel has made it very clear that he thinks male dancers should dance in a "masculine" fashion. I'm not going to get into the huge can of worms that would be defining what masculine means, but for Nigel, I'm pretty sure it means, at least in part, straight.

my little pony
07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
i know that it happened, i want to say ben from season 2 but i'm not positive

Allen
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
i know that it happened, i want to say ben from season 2 but i'm not positive

I was thinking that it must have been season 2 or 4 because I didn't watch as much of those seasons.

rjblue
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes, it was on the second season, early in the run. I didn't watch the first season, and it was one of the first eliminations that I watched. I thought they saved the guy that night though?

eta- yes I remember three solos for each gender, but the guy who winged it got saved, in my memory. No idea who they were though.

my little pony
07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes, it was on the second season, early in the run. I didn't watch the first season, and it was one of the first eliminations that I watched. I thought they saved the guy that night though?

i think it would have been 1 guy and 1 girl leaving, 2 guys and 2 girls saved

rjblue
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
On another note- I have to say that when the male partner appears to be a less "masculine" personality in his interview portion, it doesn't at all affect my perception of romance or connection during the dance. They are performing.

That said, I can't imagine Ryan connecting to either a man or a woman when she dances. She dances like Carrie Underwood sang when she was on American Idol- loads of talent and ability, but robot-like. A happy, peppy robot.

my little pony
07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=rjblue;3229811
That said, I can't imagine Ryan connecting to either a man or a woman when she dances. She dances like Carrie Underwood sang when she was on American Idol- loads of talent and ability, but robot-like. A happy, peppy robot.[/QUOTE]

she reminds me of nancy kerrigan

FiveRinger
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
MEMORY CHECK: It's driving me crazy and I bet someone on this thread can answer. Remember several seasons ago, during the 3 guys dance before judges vote you out thing, for his solo one guy just came out and just did a bunch of spins and a few little steps. Nigel said something like "how much time did you put into that". The guy replies "uh ... none actually!" Then Nigel went off on them about not putting any effort into their solos. This guy got booted that night. I know I didn't make this up in my head, but I can't think who that guy was. Someone please tell me who it was and that I am not making this up in my head as my friend tells me I am. I know I remember this! :P

I think it was Ricky when he did the Tango wish Ashlee, if my memory serves me right. He got eliminated first week, and everybody was just sick because he was such a great contemporary dancer and had a crap solo. And they were more outraged because they kept Cedric over him. Lots of controversy with that one.

genevieve
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
When Justin Giles was describing the men's group routine, I kept thinking, why does it have to be about a girl...could the intention not just have been the ending of a relationship?
that really bothered me too - in general I think they need to get away from overexplaining all the dances. Just feeds the idea that all dances need a clear identifiable narrative, which is kind of lazy IMO. Tacking on the "his girl done him wrong" cheapened what was otherwise a gorgeous dance.

she reminds me of nancy kerrigan
She reminds me of Julia Roberts

I think it was Ricky when he did the Tango wish Ashlee, if my memory serves me right. He got eliminated first week, and everybody was just sick because he was such a great contemporary dancer and had a crap solo. And they were more outraged because they kept Cedric over him. Lots of controversy with that one.
I think it was 100% the right decision to eliminate Ricky. He did a crap tango and a crappier solo.

Rob
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I was happy to see new choreographers, but then I was pretty bored. Really liked Jess/Clarice. Then I say Bah, had to end with ole Mandy Moore to Celine Dion. Ach. Then it turns out to be the best duet of the night. Caitlynn really flew.

FiveRinger
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
^^Mandy Moore has a few good routines. I liked the jazz routine that she did for Chelsie and Mark. But, maybe it was more the pair than that particular choreography that I liked.

Allen
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
^^Mandy Moore has a few good routines. I liked the jazz routine that she did for Chelsie and Mark. But, maybe it was more the pair than that particular choreography that I liked.

I can't remember a Mandy Moore routine that I've really loved since season 3.

pixie cut
07-07-2011, 10:55 PM

I can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69d1DBvcm9o
One of my all-time favorites.

FiveRinger
07-07-2011, 10:56 PM

:lol:Ok, I was stretching a bit. I was trying to think positively....

skatingfan5
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
that really bothered me too - in general I think they need to get away from overexplaining all the dances. Just feeds the idea that all dances need a clear identifiable narrative, which is kind of lazy IMO.Well, they've got to fill time somehow, so all this explaining of the dances' narratives (and then the judges comments on how well the dancer's conveyed that as well as on the dancing technique/performance level) adds a bit to each time slot. Heaven forbid that they would cut the show down to 90 minutes if they are down to only 7 couples (although I have enjoyed the group numbers). But how many different permutations of she+he or she-he or she+he-she/he can they come up with before complete boredom sets it. Last night, 2 or 3 would have been my quota for the "lovely-dovey" or "angsty-breakup" stories. Just dance, dammit! :mad: :lol:

She reminds me of Julia RobertsThat might partially explain my dislike of Ryan (although she reminded me of Nancy Kerrigan, which shouldn't have had that effect). I thought last night's zombie dance suited her clunky/clumping style. :shuffle:

For the second week in a row, I actually really liked Clarice & Jess's number and he irritates me much less than in the first few shows.

I have no idea who will be eliminated tonight -- and I find that there are only 4 or 5 who I really, really hope aren't the ones saying farewell. I'm much less involved than I thought I'd be from the top 20 show.