PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD July 6-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

TygerLily
07-07-2011, 02:53 AM
I would definitely have Ashley and Chris and Sasha and Alex in the bottom 3. Not sure about the final couple, but I'm guessing it's between Ryan and Ricky and Jordan and Tadd.Absolutely agreed on your definite bottom two. This is the first time I've thought that about a Sasha and Alex routine--I've even liked Alex a lot more than the judges have! I suspect the third will be Jess and Clarice even though I liked their routine. R&R and J&T had flashier routines. I quite liked Jess and Clarice's dance, but I'm not convinced voters will go for it.

numbers123
07-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Mitchell and Caitlynn were nice and I liked that we didn't need the gyno shots to make it beautiful.

Allen
07-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Eartha Kitt :cheer:

Allen
07-07-2011, 02:56 AM
You guys just don't have enough drama in your souls to appreciate her.

I promise you that I have more than enough :drama: in my soul! ;)

FiveRinger
07-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Now the ladies' group performance was the routine of the night for me! That was crazy!

TygerLily
07-07-2011, 03:00 AM
That was awesome! Maybe the "women are the beasts" tagline for this season isn't so off. Nah, it's still a lame line.

rjblue
07-07-2011, 03:01 AM
My Discarded Men- Eartha Kitt

That was good too, but not as good as the guys.

What an interesting night. No truly memorable dances, but most of them were interesting, well danced, and entertaining. And the use of new choreographers was a nice change.

flyingsit
07-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Four judges and not one of them could mention that Ryan fell out of the pirouette? I'm shocked, I tell you.

No Tyce and no CrappyTabs makes it a good show even with the horrific plastic mannequin that was Carmen Electra.

Allen
07-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Four judges and not one of them could mention that Ryan fell out of the pirouette? I'm shocked, I tell you.

I wondered if I dreamed that since no one mentioned it on the the panel. I had turned away and when I looked back, it looked like she fell out.

rjblue
07-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Travis on the panel made up for Carmen's presence.

I'm indifferent this week. If I could vote for someone to leave the show, I'd get rid of Ryan and probably Jess. They are both very good dancers who just don't appeal to me.

AYS
07-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Travis was a really excellent judge, alowing for his excessive adrenaline, but hey, it allowed him to say that much more meaningful stuff.

I came out of tonight loving Jess. Ironic, considering rjblue's post above me. Also, Tadd and Mitchell. Yeah, I just seem to like the guys. Melanie also :kickass: on her number with Tadd.

Ashley and Chris need to go home.

rjblue
07-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Jess is a talented charismatic dancer. I just prefer a different body type. He is short but he also "looks" short. Even when there isn't anyone beside him.

Holley Calmes
07-07-2011, 04:07 AM
I tried to slog through the first 3 couples, and I was so bored I gave up and read the new Karin Slaughter novel. Really-I WANT to like it and I WANT to have favorites, but I'm just bored with the choreography mainly, and the stupid celebrity judges...Carmen was vapid to put it mildly. What, please pray God, do these vacant, brainless D-list nobodies have to offer? Carmen Electra was a dancer for heaven's sake? When? She studied ballet??? Yeah, so did I. A Pussycat doll? OK-who wasn't? Talk about vacuous. Travis-you go boy...he's a tiger. Let him run the damn show, and we'll see if I can keep my eyes open. He has passion and energy. I might not love every piece he's choreographed, but this boy has something keen going. Somehow, I doubt Big Daddy will let him get much bigger for his britches. Honestly, this is the first time in years I have just switched it off. I'm sad. Outside Melanie and Alexander, I just don't give a rip. And those commercials are-I swear-longer than the program segments. I will never watch live again.

genevieve
07-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Tonight's show made me cranky. Reading back, looks like I'm not alone. I'm going to get really nitpicky in my critiques...but really, I'm just annoyed at the show.

But not Cat. Love her dress - reminds me of one of Mirai's costumes :cool:

The way Travis just got the call to be a judge last night sounds like someone pulled out at the last minute. Hell, if they told me I'd be sharing panel time with Carmen Electra (who I thought at first was Robin Antin, and she might as well have been), I might ditch out too! Travis started out nicey nice but managed to get some great critiques in there. Yea!

Love that we got lots of new choreographers, even if I didn't love all the pieces.

Group pieces - FLOVED the men's piece by Justin Giles :cheer2: Loved the music to Ray Leeper's piece for the ladies and liked the choreo. I'd have started the who with the ladies and ended with the men :shuffle:

ok, here's where I get picky:

Melanie/Marko, Ray Leeper Jazz: I truly love me some Melanie and Marko, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY they need to get a Bollywood, or a Quickstep, or even a Russian freakin folk dance. :rolleyes: The piece was ok, but I was so distracted by Melanie's atrocious Strawberry Shortcake Gone Stripper costume the dance kind of passed me by. The constant tongue bathing for these two (my favorites even!) is going to backfire in a big way. And, um....Marko is still a bit stumbly.

Sasha/Alexander, Shawn Evaristo Hip Hop: I kind of liked this. The choreography was simple, but 1) that's not their fault and 2) I'd rather watch this kind of lyrical hip hop than most of CrappyTabs'. I hate when the dancers get blamed for poor choreography. And poor Alex was just getting shafted - I thought he did better than Sasha. Travis made a comment about her straightening her legs in the arial, but really she almost fell completely out of it.

Jordan/Tadd, Toni Redpath Waltz: Hmmmm, fog machine that conveniently hides a lot of the footwork :sekret: there were some ok moments in this, and of course getting ballroom I want to grade on a curve here, but it was a bit sloppy. Even the death at the end was clunky. Tadd has way better posture than you'd expect from a hip hop dancer, but he was doing something strange to achieve that posture - too much up in the chest or something.

Clarice/Jess, Justin Giles Contemporary: I really liked this piece, but it felt like the opening 2 minutes of a longer piece. it was just getting warmed up and it was over. I wanted more. Clarice was amazing. Jess was only great - he hits those staccato holds with his core but his limbs trail slightly, whereas Clarice stops everything at once. Plus, Jess' lack of flexibility in back attitude was noticeable here. still, this felt like the most successful piece of the night for me.

Ashley/Chris, Liz Leera salsa: WHHHHHYYYYYYYYY did TPTB give such a cool looking salsa to this couple?!?! :fragile: they did the best they could with it, but all I could think was how much better it would have looked on another pair. ANY other pair left in the competition. Chris was a great partner in the lifts, and Ashley did a decent job, but all of the transitions were chunky and the whole thing looked awkward. Oh, what could have been...

Ryan/Ricky, Chucky Klapnow(?) Jazz: I liked this piece a lot, and of course the music was fab. Ryan gets points for not giving us any :D (or at least the costume/hair/makeup people do for hiding the :D ), but I was already writing down that Ryan was shuffling around and not sharp when she completely biffed that pirouette that none of the judges mentioned :mad: Ricky was totally in the zone - I am digging him more and more each week. I am torn between voting for him and not voting for her.

Caitlyn/Mitchell, Mandy Moore: how many times have we seen Mitchell wearing a white unbuttoned shirt now? :P technically, this was a great dance. Seamless transitions, excellent performance from both and great connection. So why isn't it my favorite? well, Mandy said if the love connection didn't come through the piece did not succeed. The music made it impossible to believe the couple was in love - I can only hear Celine Dion as a sappy joke. plus, toward the end it felt like virtuosity for the sake of virtuosity, rather than to support the storyline. I would say this was the best danced couples piece of the night, though.

based on tonight, I think that Chris and either Sasha (:eek: ) or Ryan should go, but since we can only lose pairs, it should be Ashley. Unfortunately the judges seem to want Alexander gone, though.

uyeahu
07-07-2011, 07:19 AM
I pretty much agree with Genevieve but I also want to nit-pick and most of y'all wont agree with me.

1) Melanie started out the season as my favorite. She is a beautiful, strong contemporary dancer but she is way too tight in her hips and too controlled and it's going to bite them in the ass when, or maybe I should say IF, they ever get a latin or hip hop number. I don't THINK she'll be as versatile as some of the other girls, but at this rate she may never have to be. Also, I find her personality and giggling pretty annoying. Still love Marko to bits.

2) I thought Chris, while unconvincing as a salsa dancer, was much stronger than Ashley and I was amazed at how well he partnered her while keeping his hips shaking and moving across the floor. Ashley was a hot mess in the solo work. I would love to have seen a stronger couple doing that choreography. It looked REALLY cool!

3) I've said it before but it bears repeating - Sasha and Alexander are just mismatched. She needs to be with one of the B-Boys who can match her strong, angular lines. Someone like Tadd. Alex would have been amazing with Miranda. I like them each individually, but feel they highlight the weaknesses in the other when dancing together.

4) Ryan just has zero grace and charisma. I can't find a way to like her. Which is a damn shame because I love Ricky.

5) LOVED all the new choreographers. The show felt so much fresher as a result.

6) Caitlynn and Mitchell are getting my votes tonight. I love them and don't want to see them in the bottom again. I'm glad Mary recognized how fearlessly little Caitlynn has been throwing herself into these dances. She really impresses me. As much as I often :rolleyes: at Mandy Moore's 80's party, she has created some of my favorite dances over the seasons. (I still watch Boogie Shoes when I need a little pick-me-up.) Tonight's probably won't be one of my favorites long term but she really gave them a beautiful dynamic dance that was easily my favorite of the evening and they just attacked every moment of it.