PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD July 6-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

genevieve
07-08-2011, 09:23 PM
did any of them have featured dance roles on current FOX shows at the time they competed?

I agree that there have been some conflicts of interest - Will's was disclosed up front and Debbie removed herself from the show while he was in the competition (admittedly she was less of a mainstay to the show than Mia or Brian Friedman back in the day), even Lauren's was highlighted but I can't remember if Tyce was part of that season or not. I do remember a lot of people were irate about his assistant being on the show, though.

I didn't know about Kayla, although hadn't Brian been off the show by the time she was on? The S1 connections seem like real conflicts of interest - perhaps since it was the first season they didn't think the show was going to take off the way it did?

Anyway, I get that there will be connections, but Ryan's seems more in your face than many of the others, and because of the timing of when shows air (vs when they were filmed/when she did the job), it appears as though she is currently under contract with FOX, which seems more egregious than a connection with one of the show choreographers or even a judge. It looks like FOX is the one with the interest in promoting Ryan - and that kind of interference is just icky.

Allen
07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I would include S4 in my favorite, because it was also really strong, except it was the beginning of Nigel's blatant lying and attempts at manipulation.

There are a lot of routines I love from Season 4, but I can't say it's one of my favorite seasons overall. To be fair though, I missed a lot of it because I was working on my dissertation and I've seen most of what I've seen on YouTube.

One of my favorite seasons is actually season 6. There are a lot of routines AND dancers I love from that season. I still think Jacob should have won, but overall, I loved that season.

Jimena
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Anyway, I get that there will be connections, but Ryan's seems more in your face than many of the others, and because of the timing of when shows air (vs when they were filmed/when she did the job), it appears as though she is currently under contract with FOX, which seems more egregious than a connection with one of the show choreographers or even a judge. It looks like FOX is the one with the interest in promoting Ryan - and that kind of interference is just icky.

Why would Fox have an interest in promoting a dancer? She's not a star. She's not featured. She's background in the shows.

I don't really get this reasoning.

And yes, Tyce worked in Season 3 when Lauren was a contestant.

I'm traveling for work and I haven't watched either of the shows this week... But knowing the styles, we're really in contemporary/jazz overload.

Rob
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
did any of them have featured dance roles on current FOX shows at the time they competed?

Missy Morelli was a recurring member of the Vocal Adrenaline group in 2010.
How featured she was, I don't know. I don't watch Glee.

I didn't know about Kayla, although hadn't Brian been off the show by the time she was on? He came back that year and did a pop jazz piece that Kayla just happened to pull from the hat.

The S1 connections seem like real conflicts of interest - perhaps since it was the first season they didn't think the show was going to take off the way it did?
My guess is that the key players cast their favorite dancers that year and they've done so with varying degrees of disclosure ever since. They all know each other from competition and convention circuits anyway.

It looks like FOX is the one with the interest in promoting Ryan - and that kind of interference is just icky.
I guess if you don't like her dancing, and she's been up for elimination twice already, it does look that way. Ryan isn't my favorite, but I wouldn't have had her in the bottom 3 either time. I was far more disappointed in Ashley, who IMO only had one decent showing (the jailhouse number). Plus, Ryan isn't the only one to get her own style week after week.

tarotx
07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Most of the Contestants have ties to all the choreographers. It's one of the reasons why Ballroom dancers have a hard time getting cast. They don't. But Ryan was more then an assistant to Mia. More like a apprentice. I truly believe Mia sees herself in Ryan and wanted to make sure her dreams came true. Ryan has been a part of nearly everything Mia has done since 2008. Ryan has assisted at Pulse where most of the other sytycd Choreographers teach. She has a huge connection to the show.

Ryan has been a steady member of Mia's assisting team since 2008. Ryan grew up behind the scenes of the show. They know her and are invested in her. Not just Nigel but the whole cast and crew. The only other contestant that was like that was Lauren G. And she wasn't liked either.

Also Alex wants more then dance. He sings and wants to give acting a try.

Allskate
07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I disliked Lauren G. for a variety of reasons, but I don't blame her for the judges' decisions. I don't dislike Ryan. I just think she is overpimped. Having said that, I definitely didn't think she deserved to go home or be bottom three last night. Ashley was the right choice to go home, IMO. And Sasha and Alexander really got lucky (though they were unlucky to get that choreography).

pixie cut
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I was never a huge Lauren G fan, but I'll say she could dance. I found the smiley face and the posing in her solos was obnoxious, but technically she produced some good stuff. She smiled inappropriately in a couple of solos, but not in the choreographed pieces. She wasn't looking like she was perpetually about to weep. Also, I think the extent of her assisting Tyce was a fraction of what Ryan has done. She assisted him in season two. She wasn't appearing in his projects for three years before she competed.

Holley Calmes
07-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Lauren G. was featured in a CSI: Miami this past year. But it still looks like Ryan is getting more 3rd tier TV starlet roles than Lauren.

pollyanna
07-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Lauren G. was featured in a CSI: Miami this past year. But it still looks like Ryan is getting more 3rd tier TV starlet roles than Lauren.

Lauren has also appeared in in Make It or Break It as well as Glee.

reckless
07-09-2011, 08:33 AM
The mentions of Wade made me think of this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdElyAGTRv4&feature=related that he did for the season 2 finale. I believe it was his first routine for the show.
Wade choreographed Ramalama for the top-10 that season.

Jimena
07-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Lauren had a speaking role in a ABC Family show. She was featured as a contemporary ballet dancer and she was not good. Her dancing left a lot to be desired.

I think she's a great commercial jazz/hip hop dancer but she just doesn't have the lines for ballet.

In other news, Kathryn got the lead role in Step Up 4. I haven't seen a single one of those movies, but I might have to break down and watch this one since Kathryn's my favorite female contestant ever.

Holley Calmes
07-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Yep-Kathryn is definitely cream of the crop to me and my husband. So quiet and classy....just gorgeous. I'm thrilled for her.

LadyGray
07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
In other news, Kathryn got the lead role in Step Up 4. I haven't seen a single one of those movies, but I might have to break down and watch this one since Kathryn's my favorite female contestant ever.

Ugh... don't do it. Just watch the youtube clips of Kathryn's dancing parts if you have to see her. I made the mistake of watching the first two Step Ups... I watched the first when it was the only thing that seemed interesting on a day I was home from work sick and regretted it, then watched the second thinking there was no way it could be as bad as the first. Regretted it both times :(

pixie cut
07-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I made the mistake of watching the first two Step Ups... I watched the first when it was the only thing that seemed interesting on a day I was home from work sick and regretted it, then watched the second thinking there was no way it could be as bad as the first. Regretted it both times :(

Oh my! That's what you call a decisively bad review!
Two thumbs down and two snaps up.

MarieM
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Kathryn ? GREAt !! I loved her :) One of my favorite ever on that show :)