PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD July 6-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

LadyNit
07-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Here is Benji's West Coast Swing for Sara and Pasha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSV6Pfh_cVs

That was definitely one of the highlights of season 3 for me.

Season 3 was so much fun. What a great performance by Sara and Pasha. :swoon:

genevieve
07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I think season 3 was probably my favorite. many fantastic dancers :)

Allen
07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I think season 3 was probably my favorite. many fantastic dancers :)

Fantastic dancers and really fantastic routines. So many iconic routines are from that season.

Aceon6
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Fantastic dancers and really fantastic routines. So many iconic routines are from that season.

I kept the final two shows from Season 2 and Season 3 for the longest time on my TiVo. I'd watch them every time Nigel screwed with the results in Seasons 4 on. Those two seasons had the most competent dancers in the most styles.

flyingsit
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I wanted to punch Travis last night. America got it wrong by putting Ryan and Ricky in the bottom 3? Hello, the show insists that it's America's favorite dancer, and you can't force the audience to embrace your pet!

pixie cut
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I wanted to punch Travis last night. America got it wrong by putting Ryan and Ricky in the bottom 3? Hello, the show insists that it's America's favorite dancer, and you can't force the audience to embrace your pet!

Maybe he meant Ricky. ;)

Benji choreographed two West Coast swing dances: one for Sara and Pasha in season three and one for Katee and Joshua in season four.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolIir7NtXU
It was decent, but totally forgotten in comparison to the other amazing performances they did.

There hasn't been West Coast swing on the show again since then.

We don't know how interested Benji is in being a choreographer. He may be focused on performing. Travis performs, but clearly his high profile work is as a choreographer. Also, with so many contemporary dancers on the show, clearly there's more need for him.

flyingsit
07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
We don't know how interested Benji is in being a choreographer. He may be focused on performing.

Well, he did just choreograph Jeremy Abbott's new short program. Can't imagine he'd be MORE interested in choreographing skating than dancing.

pixie cut
07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, he did just choreograph Jeremy Abbott's new short program. Can't imagine he'd be MORE interested in choreographing skating than dancing.

Then either Nigel doesn't like him or Nigel doesn't like West Coast Swing. The latter is possible because it's not like there have been other choreographers doing that genre on the show.

my little pony
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Then either Nigel doesn't like him or Nigel doesn't like West Coast Swing. .

knowing nigel, he must think that either benji or west coast swing isn't very manly, possibly both

genevieve
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Benji choreographed two West Coast swing dances: one for Sara and Pasha in season three and one for Katee and Joshua in season four.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolIir7NtXU
It was decent, but totally forgotten in comparison to the other amazing performances they did.

Thanks! I loved that as well.

It's funny to recall how it felt like Joshua and Katee kept getting their own styles, but looking back, they had Bollywood, W. Coast swing, samba, paso doble, viennese waltz, broadway...very well rounded. Perhaps it was more than they got put together again totally by coincidence!! after the couples split, and one of their dances that week was contemporary.

I would include S4 in my favorite, because it was also really strong, except it was the beginning of Nigel's blatant lying and attempts at manipulation. which is too bad, because it was completely unnecessary. Joshua was talented enough to win without it - and quite frankly, Twitch fit the official SYTYCD story better than Joshua did, and he easily could have won. So could Katee. There have been great dancers and great routines since then, but the seasons as a whole have gone downhill since then.

Rob
07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Barber should be rolling in his grave.
I like Ryan better than Kayla, personality wise. But it seems unfair to continue to promote someone who has already had a lot of breaks in show business. She's gone way beyond being Mia's assistant.

Well, to be fair, Alex Wong was a soloist with a well known ballet company so he had already his breaks in dance too. And we all loved him.

I read that Ryan also dances in the pilot for the new show "Grace" about a family run dance school. Mia choreographed and a number of SYTYCD alum are dancing in it (Allison, Kayla, Robert Roldan to name a few).

I have to admit that I had heard about Mia's amazing assistant Ryan before last season, and I am a little disappointed. I definitely prefer some of the other girls.

Ryan/Ricky, Sasha/Alex, and Melanie/Marko need quickstep or disco next week to make this fair. Actually, I would like to see Melanie and Marko do some sort of a tango because I would like to see what she does with those nice precise legs.

genevieve
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, to be fair, Alex Wong was a soloist with a well known ballet company so he had already his breaks in dance too. And we all loved him.
I hear what you're saying, although I wouldn't equate being in a ballet company with being in show business (i.e. tv and films outside of PBS-type performances or other documentaries specifically about the ballet company).

Rob
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I hear what you're saying, although I wouldn't equate being in a ballet company with being in show business (i.e. tv and films outside of PBS-type performances or other documentaries specifically about the ballet company).

Yeah, it is a steady job rather than one day gigs!!!!!!!! I understand why he wanted to the challenge/notariety of the show and the other styles of dance, but I will never get why he'd rather be a day player than a featured dancer with some time off in the summer to do other things.

pixie cut
07-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Alex was a professional dancer, as were Anya and Pasha, Ashleigh and Ryan, Melissa, Danny and I'm sure a couple of others. In that sense, they had more experience and exposure than an 18 or 19 year old looking for the first break.

Having danced professionally for a prestigious ballet company is not having a direct affiliation with the show as the assistant of one of the choreographers and having had several career breaks due to your link to that person. Mia has not yet been seen this season, so I suppose an argument could be made she's not swaying votes for Ryan, but clearly Nigel has some sort of vested interest in the girl. I don't even find her pretty, so I don't get it. Kayla may have had some attitude, but the girl was pretty and she was a very good dancer.

Rob
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
There are a bunch of former contestants who had working affiliations with the show's judges and choreographers prior to being on the show. Prior to Season 1, Nick Lazzarini toured with Mia's dance company. She judged and choreographed during Season 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Lazzarini I think Blake had danced in shows for Brian Friedman who judged and choregraphed (and maybe Mia too).

Will was Debbie Allen's protege
Kayla was Brian Friedman's assistant and he choreographed a piece for her on the show
Lauren Gottlieb was on the show as Tyce's assistant before she competed

and the list goes on