PDA

View Full Version : Abbott talks about his 2011-12 program music and choreography

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
07-06-2011, 08:25 PM
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110706&content_id=21484374&vkey=ice_news
Excerpts:

The 2009 and 2010 U.S. champion recently spent ten days in Los Angeles working on a short program set to swing music with champion swing dancer Buddy Schwimmer and his son, So You Think You Can Dance winner Benji Schwimmer.
Abbott will skate to a medley of "Bei Mir Bist Du Schön" and "Sing, Sing, Sing."

"I got taught the technique and the count and the rhythm," he said. "It was more a swing choreographer doing their interpretation of skating. It should have a very different look and effect."
"So I wondered if Muse had anything instrumental, and I listened to Exogenesis Symphony. The third piece [Part 3: Redemption], I was like, 'Oh, this is perfect.' The music is still a work in progress but the program is almost finished, it's almost what I want. It's going to change and evolve throughout the summer."

Abbott and Sato are choreographing the program together. They have arranged to have the vocal section of the piece replaced by an electric guitar version. "It's only about a minute," Abbott said.

"It's nice because both of us can make changes as we go," he said. "I wanted to do a program with Yuka because we work really well together. I told her I wanted a program where I could breathe, and get into the ice, something calm, that can move and that's just ice skating. There's no story or theme, we just choreographed to the music, we just did what the music says. It's very airy and calm, it builds beautifully in the beginning and then it comes back down in the end. When I listen to it, I get chills, kind of, and I can see the program and feel the music."

Aceon6
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Muse sounds wonderful, but I can do without yet another Sing, Sing, Sing. You'd think that skaters would outgrow it by the time they were 12, but I guess not.

Lanie
07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I can't wait to see them both!

I love Sing Sing Sing. Major soft spot for it, so I get excited when skaters use it. It's so fun!

Cyn
07-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Damn, after reading that, the remainder of this off-season is going to seem interminable :wall: :fragile: .

The FS sounds :swoon:, and Jeremy has enough musicality and dance-ability to pull off swing-style choreography. I cannot *wait* to see what these programs are like.

The GP can't get here quickly enough.

genevieve
07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I hate Sing Sing Sing, but the combination of Benji's choreography and Jeremy's fab musicality is making me look forward to this like crazy!

I'm on the fence about Muse. I've heard some of their stuff I like and others that are just zzzz. But again, I look forward to what he and Yuka will come up with :cheer2:

kirkbiggestfan
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Jeremy is going to be a great choreographer some day.

SamuraiK
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
The Muse track "Redemption" is the same the Kerrs used this past season. It's lovely but I much prefer "Butterflies and Hurricanes" but the vocals would be a problem for single skating.

BittyBug
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm on the fence about Muse. I've heard some of their stuff I like and others that are just zzzz. Unfortunately, the piece he chose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFCws07x90) falls more into the zzzz category for me, but maybe it will work better on the ice.

dinakt
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I looove the fact that Jeremy is taking initiative and starting to create his programs himself. I look forward to both his programs with great anticipation. Have to confess that I developed a bit of dislike for " Sing Sing Sing" throughout many skating routines which are emotional copy cats, but I trust Jeremy will look at the different side of the music. Can't wait to see what Jeremy brings into next year.

I think "Muse" will work. I have this fantasy of Abbott skating to Bach, and there is a bit of that otherwordly serenity in his chosen "Muse" piece.

genevieve
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, the piece he chose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFCws07x90) falls more into the zzzz category for me, but maybe it will work better on the ice.
oh dear zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

olympic
07-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Always glad to hear from Jeremy, but I will be beyond thrilled when I hear him say that he's Quad-ready

ETA - He did say the big problem [boots] from last season has been resolved:

snip:

Abbott says he has solved the boot problems that plagued him last season, costing him valuable training time. He says he has had to rework his technique somewhat; his problems last season created some bad habits he has had to break, but that his skating is going well again.

"Jason [Dungjen] and I had a conference call with Reidell, and we told them what the issues had been," he said. "When I took these boots out of the box I could tell that they were better. I'm skating comfortably, and I'm happy with the pair that I'm in. I'll have to get another pair before the season starts. We're being much more proactive this time, and I already have the second pair."

olifaunt
07-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately, the piece he chose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFCws07x90) falls more into the zzzz category for me, but maybe it will work better on the ice.

I think it works for what he's trying to do with the long program:

I told her I wanted a program where I could breathe, and get into the ice, something calm, that can move and that's just ice skating. There's no story or theme, we just choreographed to the music, we just did what the music says.

IMHO that Muse piece is lovely and introspective and I can see him using it very well. It is a little bit slow to build up, but maybe the electric guitar section will help.

skatesindreams
07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Jeremy could never be "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" for me.
Awaiting his new programs; and wishing him a great season.

museksk8r
07-07-2011, 12:41 AM
GOOOOOOO ALEXANDER!!! :cheer2: I am so beyond ecstatic to see Jeremy's new programs and I wish him only the very best with everything and I truly hope this is the redemption season he and we the fans are so hoping for him! :encore: Regardless of placements or medals, it's always a great treat to see what new creations he brings to the ice. He sincerely is one of the very few skaters left who really makes me feel and who always brings something fresh and musically innovative to the ice. Be Jeremazing! :swoon:

Allskate
07-07-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm not excited for Sing, Sing, Sing just because I don't see that style of dance working that well for Jeremy. Benji Schwimmer and Jeremy don't seem like a very natural match to me

OTOH, I'm very excited about the long program he's working on with Yuka. I think their styles mesh well. "Airy and calm." And since they're substituting some electric guitar, I think that will make the piece a little more dynamic.