PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider Michelle Kwan's greatest LP performance ever?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

peibeck
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
"Lyra" at Nationals '98. After the stress fracture it was remarkable that she skated with such ease and seemed under no pressure at all.

I choose "Song of the Black Swan" in the qualifying round at '01 Worlds as my second choice. No 3/3, but they way she skated with her boot problems... astounding.

As an aside, I would put "Tosca" at Nationals on the list over "Tosca" at Worlds. The building was electric after that skate, even it it wasn't her most technically ambitious program.

BigB08822
07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
The two that always come to mind, for me, are 2004 Nationals LP and 2000 Worlds LP, Tosca and The Red Violin, respectively. In 2004 she absolutely nailed every jump. Not one single jump was even a millimeter off. It was like she took every perfect jump she did in practice and inserted them into the program. Skaters dream of doing all their jumps so cleanly. Her Red Violin at Worlds was just amazing. She skating holding nothing back. All out speed and attack! 1998 US Nationals LP is a very close runner up.

floskate
07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I choose "Song of the Black Swan" in the qualifying round at '01 Worlds as my second choice. No 3/3, but they way she skated with her boot problems... astounding.

She did do a 3/3 in the qualifying round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRn9pjbOCc

Which makes that skate even more remarkable. :cheer:

skatesindreams
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
^^^
One can only imagine the pressure during this QR performance.
Her "demise" was already being predicted; and she had to come through.
Bless her. she did - and how!

kwanette
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM

So awesome, thanks for posting it! I have chills!

briancoogaert
07-07-2011, 08:51 PM
^^^
One can only imagine the pressure during this QR performance.
Her "demise" was already being predicted; and she had to come through.
Bless her. she did - and how!
Absolutely.
The LP was the same with more passion. That's impressive how well she skated at those 2001 Worlds.

peibeck
07-07-2011, 09:03 PM

My bad. :o I was there (it was my first Worlds, but I could have swore she did a 3t/2t instead of the 3/3 in qualifying... oops) and I couldn't believe how well she skated after all the angst going on with her boot issues.

:rollin: Still an amazing performance. Thanks for the link floskate. All hail the Kween. :encore:

LuckyCharm
07-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Voted for SOTBS 2001 Worlds, but it was very close with Lyra Angelica 1998 Nats.

MR-FAN
07-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I would say other. For me, her greatest 2 "performances" were Aranjuez at worlds and Tosca at Nationals

DannyCurry
07-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I picked The Red Violin (2000 Worlds). Despite the lack of choreography compared to the program's debut, it was a powerful performance. It seemed that Michelle could not miss an element, she hit all her jumps with great speed.
Also loved the Charlotte at the end. And I was so thrilled that she won overall, after being 3rd in the SP.

My second favorite LP performance of hers would be Tosca at Nationals. Again, the program did not have much choreography, but that last 3 lutz and the footwork section (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns&feature=player_detailpage#t=237s) were just :eek:
As Terry said: "The brilliance of Michelle Kwan, once again on display" :cool:

FunnyBut
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I picked 2000 The Red Violin, she skated as if she were on fire. Second place goes to 1998 Lyra Angelica, the freedom and musicality is sublime.

giselle23
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Tosca at 2004 Nationals should be there. For pure fire and passion and heart, it is among her best. Many would say it is her best.

BigB08822
07-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Glad to see others haven't forgotten Tosca from Nationals! It was amazing. The flip and final lutz were some of the best she ever did!

shady82
07-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Without doubt, Lyra Angelica at the '98 Nationals. That program for me was the Kwan program that established a new gold standard for artistry. The complexity within the elegant simplicity, the zen sensitivity, and the joy and lightness lended to a program that was truly one-of-a-kind.

GoldenMichelle
07-10-2011, 08:18 AM
For me its a toss up between Salome, Scheherazade and SOTBS (guess I like the 'S' programs).

If I had to pick one I'd probably go with Salome.

I'll probably be kicked out of Klub Kwan for this, but Lyra Angelica and Red Violin are my least favorite Kwan long programs. :yikes: