PDA

View Full Version : How do you find someone to take care of your bird while you are on vacation?

Vash01
07-06-2011, 05:31 AM
My brother has this problem right now. Actually I am more worried than him. His younger son got a bird as a present from his parents about 18 months ago. The bird is a parakeet, I think. It's beautiful. For the first time my brother and his family have to leave the bird alone or find someone who would take care of him while they go on a 10-day trip to Alaska. The friend he was counting on to take care of Otis (the bird) has guests, so he can't help. My brother does not want to hand him over to just anybody, because that person may not know how to care for a bird. He checked at Pets mart but they said no.

Are there 'kennels' for birds so that people can leave their birds there while they are on vacation? I am thinking it would take some kind of professional help. It's not so common for people to have birds for pets.

Anyone has any knowledge or experience about this? What kind of shop/organization would be appropriate for this lovely bird to spend his 10 days at?

Anita18
07-06-2011, 05:44 AM
No coworkers or local friends to at least come to their house and check on the bird? Does the bird need daily care? My mom has friends who has birds and it doesn't seem toooo complicated...food and water and if the bird is willing, some playtime. She also has a friend who became obsessed with chinchillas and THOSE are high maintenance. :lol:

I can leave my cat alone for as long as 3 days by himself if I leave him a pristine litter box and enough food and water. The cat is lonely, but he sleeps most of the day so I'm not worried about him getting himself into trouble in my apartment. If the bird is caged, I can't see how it would be able to get into trouble. :lol:

I have a coworker who lives two blocks away - I asked if he could check in on my cat if he's available and I have to be away longer than a weekend (like Nationals next year!) and he's totally willing to do it. I'd start asking people they know around the area if they can come once or twice and check up on Mr. Bird. I mean, I'm a total hermit-y introvert and if I can find someone close by to check on my cat, I'm sure anyone can. :lol:

reckless
07-06-2011, 06:05 AM
For a 10-day vacation, unless the house temperature would be dangerous, a bird probably would only need 3-4 visits. My family often went away over weekends and I left my cockatiel in its cage without a problem.

As an alternative, isn't it possible to get a family friend to take the bird for 10 days? A parakeet shouldn't have a giant cage, so it should be possible just to ask someone to take the bird and cage for the vacation. All the person would need is a quick primer on food and watering. (They probably could get away with not cleaning the cage for 10 days.) One of my former work colleagues is an Orthodox Jew and he would remove his bird from his house every Passover (there was something in the bird's food that was not Kosher). A co-worker would took the bird for that week every year. That actually is probably easier than asking someone to make regular visits, as long as the person who takes the bird can cope with the noise it might make.

Japanfan
07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
If you can't get someone you know to come in or take the board, check out pet sitting/boarding services in your area. I'm sure you can find someone suitable to provide the appropriate care.

milanessa
07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Check the yellow pages for an avian vet in his area. They should have info on bird sitters. A budgie is easier to take care of than most birds and most pet sitters will have some experience.

DCA
07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
We've been using Sit-A-Pet for years with our budgie. The sitter comes to the house, puts out water and food, cleans the cage, talks to the bird, and (because our bird is easy-going) lets him out for exercise. There is likely a similar pet-sitting service in your area.

Satellitegirl
07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Just make sure wherever they take it, that there isn't a draft or cold air..or they may come back to a sick or dead bird. As far as the time goes, as someone else said, about 3 visits would suffice. They could even get one of those water holders that lets more water down into the dish, when some is drank(provided that the bird isn't messy where he/she'd clog the water dish).

mmscfdcsu
07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Usually the Vet's office staff knows of reliable persons. Sometimes the office staff is glad to moonlight and pet sit.

danceronice
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep, I would look up your local avian/exotics practice and ask for pet sitters.

Vash01
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I will pass those on to my brother. He lives in a different city/state, or I would have done it for him (though I know nothing about birds).

FunnyBut
07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
When I kept exotic fish, sometimes a good pet store would keep them for me. Maybe the same can be done for a bird?