PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCDC Season 4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

DustPuppyOI
07-06-2011, 03:52 AM
I didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one.

We have top 22 like last year (Source: http://thestar.blogs.com/realitycheck/2011/07/so-you-think-you-can-dance-canada-spoiler-alert-who-needs-a-top-20-.html)

Shelaina Anderson, 20, a contemporary dancer from Edmonton
Joey Arrigo, 19, a contemporary dancer from Newmarket
Rodrigo Basurto, 26, a hip-hop dancer from Toronto
Carlena Britch, 20, a hip/locking dancer from Vancouver
Geisha Chin, 19, a contemporary dancer from Toronto
Jordan Clark, 19, a contemporary dancer from Tottenham
JP Dubé, 19, a hip-hop dancer from Montreal
Cassandra Flammini, 18, a jazz dancer from Toronto
Dwayne “Boneless” Gulston, 23, a hip-hop/popping dancer from Toronto
Kevin Howe, 22, a contemporary dancer from Ottawa
Dentisa Ikonomova, 24, a ballroom dancer from Lava
Moses Layco, 26, a contemporary dancer from Winnipeg
Lindsay Leuschner, 19, a contemporary dancer from Stouffville
Adam LoPapa, 19, a jazz dancer from Woodbridge
Lauren Lyn, 24, a salsa dancer from Toronto
Matt Marr, 20, a contemporary from Quispamsis
Christian Millette, 28, a ballroom dancer from Montreal
Melisssa Mitro, 23, a contemporary dancer from Richmond Hill
Francois Pruneau, 26, a ballroom dancer from Trois-Rivières
Shane Simpson, 23, a jazz dancer from Thornhill
Teya Wild, 23, a hip-hop dancer from North Vancouver
Yuliya Zavadska, 29, a Latin dancer from Toronto

I remember Boneless, Rodrigo and Shelaina from previous seasons. I was hoping that Vicky Luo and Jenny Dailey would have finally made it through, but no luck.

genevieve
07-06-2011, 05:01 AM
you guys get a top 22??? And multiple ballroom dancers?!?! no fair!!! [/USSYTYCDCastingRant]

:P enjoy the season :)

JumpinBug
07-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Carlena is now on the list for first to go, wonder what poor guy will get dragged down with her.

tarotx
07-06-2011, 05:15 AM
A wide range of ages. Lucky! And I thought Cassie was older. No wonder why her parents are super high strung when she's in La with her boyfriend!

Interesting Joey Arrigo was Jump's senior male VIP 2010 and Melanie Moore was Jump's senior female VIP 2010 :)

skatingfan04
07-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm so excited! I actually went to high school with one of the contestants, so I'll be rooting for him especially, but honestly, I loved most of the people they let in.:D

Jimena
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
The Canadian version is a much better show than the US one. The judges are really annoying, but there's so much more variety.

TygerLily
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
What was that about Carlena? I only started watching this week. Did I miss something? Did they ever say what her bad attitude was about? Maybe I missed something from the group rounds.

Shelaina might have an initial advantage given her coverage last year. It's funny that she should come to this given her Carlena-like initial season. I had no idea she was so young still!

I really really hate the fake-outs. The judges do them every time, so the poor rejected dancers keep hoping they've gotten a fake-out.

kwanfan1818
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
you guys get a top 22??? And multiple ballroom dancers?!?! no fair!!! [/USSYTYCDCastingRant]
The dancers, especially the women, seem much less interchangeable than on the US show, and the contemporary dancers don't seem to be out of the same jello mold, either. The dancers in the finals, who were given a ballroom challenge, were really impressive in it.

They have much less of a problem with choosing women who seem really young; I think on the US show they would have told a few that Canada picked to come back in a few years. There was an 18- or 19-year old I thought was 15 or 16.

This is the first time for me seeing this show; I'm not sure whom they picked in the past, but we are lucky to get the ballroom people, and they all showed up very well in solos. Two of the judges were Jean-Marc Généreux, and as one of two permanent judges, he's the loudest, which is saying a lot, because Mary Murphy has been guest judging. Ballroom is well represented among the judges.

professordeb
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I think I will be enjoying this season ... at least to begin with. Going to be interesting to see if miss "I had a time out for bad behavior" Carlena. I missed out when they showed her competing in the group dance and only got a bit of the judges yipping at her for her attitude. I almost wonder if ??? (Jamie Ray's sister whose name escapes me at this time), got a pass again this year because she kind of stuck up for Carlena (at least I think that's what I saw ... or am I wrong yet again :( )

DustPuppyOI
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
First show summaries:
http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com/2011/07/sytycdc4-eh.html
http://thestar.blogs.com/realitycheck/2011/07/so-you-think-you-can-dance-canada-hot-in-any-language.html

Debrah
07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
That was a really hot, sassy, fun, intense, technically sound (for most part) debut performance show from the Cdn dancer's. The potentential is quite astonishing this season given the high level they all achieved on the first round and the pair match ups were really strong...Yes sir Canada can dance, and at same time show off mad variety of dance styles and skills, and I am over the moon happy with all the ballroom types that will be burning up the floor! Loved most of the choreo too, and none of the routines sucked, though I felt some worked better than others and I enjoyed seeing some new faces in the choreo ranks.

It is going to be very very tough to say who will be in bottom 3 and worse who will be going home as no one sucked. I feel that the small town or the more isolated regional dancers or the dancer's who have school ties and thus a huge voting pool to call upon, sometimes have the edge over the big city, and older dancers simply because small towns and the maritime and prairie regions or one's with school ties all tend to rally together and they get organized to vote en masse for the hometown dancer, even if they don't always watch the actual show. Then of course the cuteness, or hotness, or swagger of the male partner will always be a factor with the tween girl powervoting set. Average not in technique fan of show votes based on personal emotional connection to the routine, the music and the couple dancing it, so performance level and current mass youth appeal sometimes trumps better executed steps, and more subtle or introspective or ballroomy dancing...Just saying I will not be shocked if the thumbs up reactions from the judges wind up being the bottom vote getter's, while the subtle digs about lack of technique, or personality flaws actually wind up at the top of the heap. But one never knows, as IMO Canada usually strikes the right balance considering who made top 10 each season. Hmmn, must be cause Canada has watched loads of figure skating and thanks to Canadian TV content laws plenty of CBC dance galas, over the years, (before digital 100 channel access reached the great white north) to help us separate dance wheat from dance chaff, LOL!

I think I am going to love watching season 4! Praying that ballroom types get some votes at long last. If folks want less style variety they can tune in to the Yank version that seems to be hip hop crazy and contemporary, broadway heavy, the USA dancer's perhaps more professionally specialized, or more street, so less well rounded in terms of partnering or the ballroom styles. The USA seems to be censor conscious, lots of politically correct couples and cause oriented statement routines, so generally USA routines are G rated, although occassionally one gets treated to a Dan and Lacey combo to heat things up, but where ballroom champs are normally the ones being thrown under the choreo or costume bus and thus voted off 1st... Go SYTYCD Canada where diversity rules!

JumpinBug
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I spent much time voting last night for the ballroom dancers... wanted to make sure they'd make it past the first week! Also threw some votes at the last pair, really lovely Afro-Jazz.

TygerLily
07-13-2011, 03:22 AM
What a sad elimination. It was definitely worse for the poor girl.

I didn't bother voting last night because I liked everyone. Last year I had four or five favourite couples after the first night, but this time I just liked everything. Um, except "new disco" but that was a choreography/last-minute-phone-call/I'm-not-a-lady-gaga-fan/injury issue more than a dancer issue.

JumpinBug
07-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Leopard print knickers will do you in every time.

Seriously, this dancing in underwear thing needs to end, now.

Era
07-13-2011, 06:55 AM
TG the Canadian season is on. It has so much more variety in types of dancers and the routines than the US show. The US version has become such a yawn fest. What little ballroom they have is basically contemporary with a slice of ballroom on the side. Ditto with their hiphop.

Now if only we could get rid of Leah on the Canadian version. (If the US version gets cancelled can we please, please have Cat?)

I don't really dislike anyone this year so far so voting is going to be tough. The two eliminations tonight were fine though I am glad they are giving Adam another shot next year. He didn't have the time to prep for being top 22, plus he got stuck with new disco and an injury.