PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Hotel suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

allezfred
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I've somehow gotten myself involved in organising my mother's trip to NYC around Thanksgiving this year and even though I'd warned her about NYC hotel prices, she got a bit of a shock when I told her the nightly rate ($350) for a nice-ish hotel that she had asked me to look up. :lol:

So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for hotels in Manhattan that are more reasonably priced and comfortable/not grotty in a good location? :)

UMBS Go Blue
07-03-2011, 06:39 PM
If it's only 1 person, or 2 people sharing 1 bed, try the Priceline bidding/advice forums at http://www.biddingfortravel.com and look up what prevailing Priceline bids for 4* or 5* hotels in midtown or downtown are going for.

soxxy
07-03-2011, 06:40 PM
If your mother isn't into the whole Macy's Day Parade madness, I'd stay away from the West Side of Manhattan, especially that entire route. It's good she's booking early.

Thinking....

What does she want to do? Museums? Theatre?

nyrak
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I stayed here in 2008, great location, fairly reasonable cost & it's been renovated since :

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/priceAvail.do?stdRateFlag=false

Hope the link works!

allezfred
07-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Hope the link works!

It doesn't. :shuffle:

What is the name of the hotel and I can look it up? :)

allezfred
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
If your mother isn't into the whole Macy's Day Parade madness, I'd stay away from the West Side of Manhattan, especially that entire route. It's good she's booking early.

Thinking....

What does she want to do? Museums? Theatre?

She's not going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving itself. She'll be travelling to North Carolina to stay with my uncle and his family.

I'm not too sure what she is going to be doing actually. :o She has lived in NYC before so I imagine catching up with old friends mainly.

Chele615
07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
When I go to NYC with my friend, we usually stay at the Washington Jefferson hotel. Clean, nice staff, and really close to Times Square. If your mom is going to be staying for several days, usually you can get better rates/specials.

Tinami Amori
07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I've somehow gotten myself involved in organising my mother's trip to NYC around Thanksgiving this year and even though I'd warned her about NYC hotel prices, she got a bit of a shock when I told her the nightly rate ($350) for a nice-ish hotel that she had asked me to look up. :lol:

So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for hotels in Manhattan that are more reasonably priced and comfortable/not grotty in a good location? :)

Tell me more what about what she wants, the exact dates, how many people, etc.

My database linked to airline reservations is showing over 15 hotels in Manhattan, few near Central Park but mot between Theatre District and Time Square for 180 to 290 USD for 1 room/1 person.

Jackie Sparrow
07-03-2011, 08:15 PM
My housemate stayed at the Pennsylvania next to Penn Station in May.

smurfy
07-03-2011, 10:14 PM
My housemate stayed at the Pennsylvania next to Penn Station in May.

I stayed there for work in 2007. It was really dumpy and filthy. Hope it has been done over since then. I was there with 5 other work people and noone was happy.

I also have stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, and the Roosevelt Hotel, not too far from Grant Central. Both can be expensive, but are very nice.

Check out Club Quarters, one in Midtown and one by Rockefeller Plaza. Can be reasonable. Stayed there for work, not sure if you have be a member, like my employer is. Small rooms, but clean, and good locations.

smurfy
07-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Also check out www.tripadvisor.com and see what folks say about hotels. Very helpful tool.

milanessa
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I stayed there for work in 2007. It was really dumpy and filthy. Hope it has been done over since then. I was there with 5 other work people and noone was happy.

Not only that but there's no staff in the hotel at night - at least there didn't used to be.

star_gazer11
07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I had sticker shock as well, when I realized how much rack rate in NYC is.

I enjoyed my short stay at the Wyndham Garden Times Square South (there's another location in Chelsea as well). I snagged a decent rate on travelzoo ($185/night), so I'd suggest signing up for their emails.

Very comfy bed, and the bathroom goodies were a good (http://i54.tinypic.com/2d84661.jpg) spread.

skateboy
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I recently stayed at a new Hampton Inn in Soho (Watts Avenue, I think). Reasonably priced (for NYC), VERY nice room, safe location. Also, the room was actually somewhat sizeable, unlike the tiny crackerboxes you often find in NYC.

Quintuple
07-04-2011, 01:56 AM
If you have a friend who happens to have a corporate perk program that includes brands of hotels, that might help a lot.

Somehow, through my sister, I got to stay at the Marriott Marquis smack dab in Times Square (unfortunately to see an aunt off in the hospital). I had never been to NYC as an independent adult, so, it was good to be in such a mainstream area so I could see the typical stuff once. Later, my brother and sister moved just 2 blocks down to the Renaissance (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycrt-renaissance-new-york-times-square-hotel/), also a Marriott, and as I recall, it was a pretty good price for a very mod hotel.

But since your mom lived in Manhattan ... she might not be into such touristy areas ...

Good luck!