PDA

View Full Version : Numerology

Pages : 1 [2]

Vash01
07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
OK.....:D glad to hear it..

For some reason this topic made me think of an old comical drawing in an old soviet comedy magazine "Krokodil". It's a pencil drawing:

- A man is backing away from a Black Cat who just ran in front of him. He is moving back-wards, just one step away from a balcony, where a White Cat just knocked over a flower pot which is flying above the Man's head.... :D

Enjoy your comedy. It has nothing to do with me.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-04-2011, 10:32 PM
My Astronomy professor used to tell us that if we wanted to find the sign that was most compatible to us, just wake up in the morning, read the horoscopes, and just pick one that's the most relevant to how you feel at that moment. If it doesn't turn out right, just pick another.

Tinami Amori
07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Enjoy your comedy. It has nothing to do with me.
It has nothing to do with you.....:), was not intended to.

It has to do with "superstition", and I think that numerology is a form of superstition...:slinkaway

Aussie Willy
07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
It has nothing to do with you.....:), was not intended to.

It has to do with "superstition", and I think that numerology is a form of superstition...:slinkaway
Well there are a lot of things that people think are a form of "superstition" (some could also include religion in this). But as long as people are not hurting anyone then I can't see the harm.

Tinami Amori
07-04-2011, 11:55 PM
But as long as people are not hurting anyone then I can't see the harm.

I agree, as long as there is no harm to others. Would not want to see a person not looking for a job and collecting welfare just because he thinks that the number of his house is unlucky..... or not going to work on Friday 13th.... :D

Vash01
07-05-2011, 12:04 AM
It becomes superstition if you believe it without much information. Astrology is a science, but if someone totally believes it without the data, it does not help. I don't know enough about numerology to know if there is statistical information about how accurate it is. Nothing is 100% accurate, so it's a matter of what percent accurate something is. I don't really have the time to spend on it since I don't plan on using it. Someone else may, and you (TA) don't need to be condescending toward that person just because someone believes in something.

Aussie Willy
07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Actually it is the nutters such as that person who sucked people into believing about the rapture who are the ones we should all be worried about.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Astrology is a science,

That's where I disagree. Not that people don't have a right to believe in it or think that it's valid or insightful, but I haven't seen any thing that truly backs up Astrology as a science.

Tinami Amori
07-05-2011, 02:25 AM
........ but I haven't seen any thing that truly backs up Astrology as a science.

I have not seen such either..... but will gladly listen to a scientifically based discussion on how various force fields from planets and cosmic influences may affect human bodies. I certainly allow a possibility that weather, temperature (i.e. time of the year in a given geographic location) affect fetuses and newborns.

Vash01
07-05-2011, 02:32 AM
That's where I disagree. Not that people don't have a right to believe in it or think that it's valid or insightful, but I haven't seen any thing that truly backs up Astrology as a science.

The true astrologers do calculations based on time & place of birth, etc. to determine strong and weak times. Those are probabilistic rather than definite - it's not math, and I am not talking about the daily horoscopes types.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Ok, when astrologers do calculations based on time and place of birth, what are they measuring exactly? What is their hypothesis and what is the dependent variable that they are looking for? Also, how do they control for other factors that might also affect whatever it is they are measuring?

Japanfan
07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Ok, when astrologers do calculations based on time and place of birth, what are they measuring exactly? What is their hypothesis and what is the dependent variable that they are looking for? Also, how do they control for other factors that might also affect whatever it is they are measuring?

They are determining the position of the sun, moon, and planets (and sometimes other celestial bodies, i.e. the nodes of the moon) at the time of your birth within a certain zodiac. There are different zodiacs- the one which western astronomers and astrologers use most commonly is the sidereal zodiac.

In drawing up a birth chart adjustments have to be made for longitude and latitude and time difference from Greenwich. The birth-chart data is scientific/astronomical. It's the interpretation that is astrological.

The basic assumption of astrology is that what's happening in the sky at the time of an individual's birth has an impact on that individual's life.

The chart consists of 12 houses, sun, moon and all the other planets. The four key angles of the chart are important, and the sign rising in your chart (rising in the zodiac at your time of birth, the cusp of the 1st house) is one of the key aspects. The Moon is also key. And the placement of the elements by sigh and house, as well as the relationships/configurations of and between the elements, are taken into account in a reading. There are squares, stelliums, trines and oppositions, positions of exaltation and positions of detriment or fall.

Because of all this, the sun sign is more or less important - popular sun sign readings are really useless because they don't account for the nuances and complexity of the chart.

Readings extend beyond the birth chart itself to include the relationship between the planets in the birth chart and where the planets are at a given point in an individual's life. This indicates fields of experience and types of growth or limitation at a certain point in one's life. There is another process called the progressed chart.

Reading astrology charts is an art as well as science which often incorporates spiritual viewpoints (i.e. the chart reveals karma). It takes years of study and practice to become adept at it.

I have found that there is a good deal of truth in astrology. What I like about it is that is does not tend to be dogmatic - most astrologers will tell you that the chart is a guide, not a prescription, and indicative of potentialities rather than a singular destiny.

Scientifically I believe there is some evidence of the validity of the four angles in the chart. I'd have to look up the reference though.

Vash01
07-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Japanfan,

Thanks for explaining it so well. Yes, it is an art and a science to create, read and interpret astrological charts for an individual, and the only ones I take seriously are the individual charts made and interpreted by an expert astrologer who has spent years developing those skills. Often it is passed on from generation to generation, so some of them have known it practically their whole lives. As in any profession the level of expertise varies, and in this case the variation is very large, because not every astrologer would have the same amount of education and/or experience. Further, it depends quite a bit on the natural talent also, unlike (for example) physical science.