PDA

View Full Version : Sasha Cohen Accepted to Columbia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sk9tingfan
07-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Still looking for more sources other than secondary Tweets on Twitter. Will update when I find more detail.

Tweeted by, among others, International Figure Skating. I wonder what her major will be?

RockTheTassel
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Good luck, Sasha. :cheer:

FSfan107
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Good for her. It'll be interesting to see what she majors in.

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Would that be Columbia's School of General Studies from which Tim Goebel graduated?

sk9tingfan
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Would that be Columbia's School of General Studies from which Tim Goebel graduated?

I guess we'll have to see because I haven't been able to nail down any additional info. I don't think that given her absence from academia and probably her previoius non-traditional high school education, that the usual matriculated, standard program is what she is pursuing. The School of General Studies would be a logical path.

BTW, this was tweeted by IPlage and retweeted by USFSA, so this must be totally legitimate.

attyfan
07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Congratulations to her! I wonder, though, if this will conflict with SOI ... and if so, what will they do? It looks like their OGM is returning to competition, and the OSM leaving for college.

reese
07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
uh... didn't she say that she was accepted and going to attend NYU?

MikiAndoFan#1
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Congratulations and good luck, Sasha! :cheer2:

victoriaheidi
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
uh... didn't she say that she was accepted and going to attend NYU?

That's what I was thinking.

Is she a transfer or a freshman? I'm just curious because some schools do transfer admissions over the summer.

sk9tingfan
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Part of me is kind of surprised that she picked Columbia. Somehow or another, I don't see her as a Morningside Heights type, but more of a Washington Square one.

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
From this March 2011 interview: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/03/22/sasha-cohen-i-think-that-im-truly-done/

Are you planning to attend college this summer or fall?

I’m hoping to. I’m hoping to take some summer classes in New York and then decide if I want to go to school in the fall depending on how much I’m gonna be traveling or skating and doing shows.

Where would you take classes – would it be NYU (New York University)?

That’s where I’m currently applying so we’ll see. I have to wait for my application to be reviewed.

Do you know what you want to study?

I never got my undergrad, so I’m interested in a lot of things. Definitely business, psychology, I’m also very interested in drama and art – so a little bit of everything.

From this Orange County Register article (Feb. 16, 2011): http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cohen-288682-says-skating.html

One thing she definitely plans to do is finish her undergraduate degree. She'll attend the summer semester at New York University, and possible enroll fulltime in school at the end of the year.

"I never had a chance to finish my undergrad degree," Cohen says. "I'm interested in everything, from finance to philosophy, so I think I'd start with all of the core classes.

"Before I decide another path that I'm going to go down I'd like to have a broader education."

Jenna
07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
That's Awesome!! Congrats to Sasha! But being accepted into the school and attending it are two different things...I wonder which it is.

JerseySlore
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Is she a transfer or a freshman? I'm just curious because some schools do transfer admissions over the summer.

Or she could have been waitlisted.

kwanette
07-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Good for Sasha, I wish her well.

Rottie
07-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm very glad to hear this. She'll get to exercise her mind and meet a whole bunch of people who don't give a fig about skating. Sounds super healthy, and if she sticks with it, she'll get a degree!