PDA

View Full Version : Good news for figure skating?

Pages : 1 [2]

RD
07-01-2011, 09:22 PM
a lockout is a strike by the owners, as opposed to a strike by the workers (players), which is just referred to as a strike.

It's basically the same effect (work stoppage), with different causes.

rfisher
07-01-2011, 09:28 PM
There's lots of other advertising generators to fill those slots than figure skating which is considered a woman's viewership. The tampon and smuckers people don't pay as much money for ads as the beer distributors so skating isn't a high priority. There's a slim chance they could add more snowboarding or skiiing. Which I'd actually like.

overedge
07-01-2011, 09:29 PM
It's basically the same effect (work stoppage), with different causes.

The name comes from the industrial history of unionized workplaces. A lockout was when the factory owners/managers would literally lock the doors, which meant the workers could not go into the workplace and do their work. And because they did not work they didn't get paid.

During a strike, the workers withhold their labor. The workplace might be physically open but the workers don't go in and work. In both cases, the parties are losing money - the workers are losing their pay and the owners are losing sales revenue because they aren't producing their products/services.

Professional sports are a little different because there are a number of revenue streams that don't depend on the sport actually being played (e.g. licensed merchandise, DVDs/videos). But the same principle applies as in a more regular workplace - the party who gets what they want in bargaining is the party that is able to hold out the longest without its income.

Cheylana
07-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I think the NFL parties will come to some sort of agreement, certainly before the figure skating season starts. Lockouts are extremely unpopular with the fans; too much money to lose by not having a season.

galaxygirl
07-02-2011, 03:11 AM
With the NFL and NBA lockouts, the networks will need programming to fill the the empty time slots. Let's all pray that it means more figure skating on TV!

As much as I love figure skating, the thought of Fall without football makes me want to :wuzrobbed.

BigB08822
07-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I actually thought about this the other day and then I thought "nahhh, they would rather have an hour long program every weekend discussing any new details about the lockout."

Vash01
07-02-2011, 04:59 AM
I don't think it (the double lockouts) will impact FS positively or negatively, but it could help the NHL. I like Hockey (also NFL, and to a limited extent NBA basketball), so I am OK if they show more hockey on TV. However, they will somehow make the NFL season happen, with free agents that did not make the NFL team.

I think they will give the time slots to high school football and D- league NBA (may be even pee wee league of baseball) before they give it to FS. Isn't it sad?

MacMadame
07-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Even if they do decide to show more figure skating, one any network but the ones that already have contracts with USFS and ISU (which is NBC in the US), they will show cheesy-made-for-tv stuff because they don't have the rights to the elite competition stuff.

Vash01
07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
I think the NFL parties will come to some sort of agreement, certainly before the figure skating season starts. Lockouts are extremely unpopular with the fans; too much money to lose by not having a season.

The NFL is much more likely to reach an agreement within a reasonable time- may be by the end of September. The NBA not so much. It will drag till at least December. JMO.

luCN
07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't think so....TV channel here will rather choose Snooker than broadcast figure skating...

AndyWarhol
07-03-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think so....TV channel here will rather choose Snooker than broadcast figure skating...

same. today there was a football match from the 70's on.

JamieElena
07-03-2011, 01:00 PM
i would think not, the last time I remember there was a TV void due to a sports strike was the NHL lockout. Those empty slots ended up being filled with poker. :shuffle:

Coco
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Professional eating, poker, wipeout style shows, these will benefit. Skating,maybe barely.

And yeah, a fall without NFL or NBA, let's see how Gary Bettman messes this up.

RD
07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I think the NFL will work something out in time to save at least part of next season. I don't think they want to miss the season. The NBA on the other hand- they've got some serious issues on the financial side and I don't think it will just blow away.

LadyNit
07-03-2011, 07:20 PM
wait. wait. I want the skater house show where they all get drunk and shag each other. :wuzrobbed