PDA

View Full Version : You Lack Manners: A mother-in-law's rant

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

cruisin
07-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Most of the stories about this that I saw didn't say anything at all about the class system. I think it was more about showing the ridiculousness of the MIL.

Agree, but her comments re: the future bride's family's lack of money, and her arrogance re: "manners", imply it. At least, that is my take.

DarrellH
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
My mother told me the story of the first time she had dinner at my dad's family's place, before they married. Dad was the oldest of 8 kids (at that time, more later), and one of the older boys had to give up his seat at the table for mom.

My grandmother had made fried chicken, with all the fixings. Mom said there was a big platter of it. She bowed her head to say grace, along with the rest of them. When she raised her head, all the chicken was gone, except for one little wing, and some crumbs. Dad later told her, that if you didn't get it while you had the chance, you didn't get any in that household.:D

Angela-Fan
07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
That is :( and :lol: at the same time. I would have been annoyed if I was your mom Lol

numbers123
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
That is :( and :lol: at the same time. I would have been annoyed if I was your mom Lol

that is the way with a lot of large families. And if someone doesn't remind them that there will be guests, it is a forgotten thing. Not a rude thing - just something that is routine.

My question about the step-mom in law is how threatened does she feel about Freddie getting married and having grandchildren? and potentially the loss of inhertience monies/properties when husband/freddie's dad dies because of the new step dil/step son's marriage?

victoriaheidi
07-02-2011, 05:09 PM
My question about the step-mom in law is how threatened does she feel about Freddie getting married and having grandchildren? and potentially the loss of inhertience monies/properties when husband/freddie's dad dies because of the new step dil/step son's marriage?

I guess that's it.

The whole thing is so ironic, IMO, because she's attempting to teach "classy" behavior in a completely classless way.

MacMadame
07-03-2011, 02:50 AM
I would have been annoyed with my date for not saving me some... ;)

On the class front, I think the reason it "matters" what class the bride comes from is that the Step-MIL is trying to present the view that the bride comes from a lower class background and that she doesn't know how to behave properly and it's the Step-MIL's job to point out the lapses and to encourage the future-DIL to study up on proper upper class manners.

When you find out that the Step-MIL has been married 3x and the future-DIL comes from a middle-class or maybe even upper-middle class family and was found to be charming by her actual MIL, that pokes holes in the Step-MIL's view of things as presented in her email.

But it only "matters" because, in the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters. :lol:

millipied
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
As I suspected this turned out to be a publicity stunt:(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010805/Carolyn-Bourne-Is-mother-law-hell-saga-elaborate-PR-stunt.html

Gazpacho
07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010805/Carolyn-Bourne-Is-mother-law-hell-saga-elaborate-PR-stunt.htmlI can't possibly imagine the stepmother in law agreeing to be part of this publicity stunt!

It sounds like the leaking of the email might have been deliberately timed, but seriously, I can't imagine the stepmother in law agreeing to this.

genevieve
07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010805/Carolyn-Bourne-Is-mother-law-hell-saga-elaborate-PR-stunt.html
not necessarily

the whole lot of them sound like people I'm glad I don't know :scream:

floskate
07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
There is no proof in that article. Only heresay and it is the Daily Mail after all :lol:

AYS
07-03-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no proof in that article. Only heresay and it is the Daily Mail after all :lol:
I was going to say, what a jumbled mess of an article that ultimately says nothing. Why am I wasting time with this whole thing anyway? :o

Wiery
07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I was going to say, what a jumbled mess of an article that ultimately says nothing. Why am I wasting time with this whole thing anyway? :o

'Cause it's hard taking your eyes off a train wreck...

I wasn't speaking of you, AYS...I was referring to myself...

AliasJohnDoe
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Is it bad manners that I bought a dozen ears of corn this morning...and I just ate them all?

Company is coming later this afternoon....their loss. :P

michiruwater
07-03-2011, 07:58 PM
You just ate a dozen ears of corn?? Seriously??

AYS
07-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Is it bad manners that I bought a dozen ears of corn this morning...and I just ate them all?

Company is coming later this afternoon....their loss. :P
:eek:

I hope none of your guests have an ultra-sensitive sense of smell. They might wonder where that Fritos smell is coming from. :P