PDA

View Full Version : You Lack Manners: A mother-in-law's rant

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

genevieve
07-01-2011, 05:06 AM
sounds like everyone is clamping down and refusing to speak to the press...except the bride's father, who has been quite happy to say what he thinks of Mrs Bourne.

not a good recipe for ongoing family relationships at all...:scream:

IceAlisa
07-01-2011, 05:09 AM
I do, too, unless the girl was having some trouble with her diabetes, in which case not having enough food or starting to eat before everyone else could very well be a medical issue.

This is a very good point. If she is a Type 1 diabetic (and given her age, chances are very good that she is, although Type 2 has been on the rise in children and young adults, but still...) having enough food on board can be a matter of life and death. If she uses insulin and happens to inject too much, her blood sugar could plummet to dangerous levels.

I had missed the diabetes thing the first time I read the article and this takes it to new lows. :eek:

i like to date orphans

( i mean after they've grown up)
mlp, I wonder if you know you are paraphrasing Sholom Aleichem:

Lucky me - I'm an orphan!

http://wutheringexpectations.blogspot.com/2009/05/lucky-me-im-orphan-sholem-aleichems.html

Wyliefan
07-01-2011, 05:10 AM
My dad's mother used to say far worse both to and about my mother, and the marriage has survived.

Then again, no one was was posting any of it on the Internet.

JJH
07-01-2011, 05:15 AM
genevieve, you mentioned that this is the groom's stepmother. Did she raise him? Some of her issues seem to relate to whether the bride is good enough (well-bred enough, economically stable enough) to marry into this seemingly illustrious family who own a nursery.

Jenny
07-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Why on earth would this go viral? It's not even that good of a take down. I'm confused.

Agree - it's not particularly well written or witty, neither side's case is strong enough to take a side, and I've seen far better smackdowns here on FSU,

And we hear far more interesting in-law stories in Sekret Sources :lol:

IceAlisa
07-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Some morning people think those who aren't morning people are barely a step above the devil. Seriously!
Hear hear!! :respec:

I can definitely relate to this as a lifelong night owl. In college my best work was done around 3 am. Oh and I didn't sign up for a class that started earlier than 10 am.

To the self-righteous morning birds--bite me. :P

However, the comment about the cost of the wedding and the lack of funds makes sense. There are certainly better ways to approach this, OTOH...:shuffle:

Angela-Fan
07-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Hear hear!! :respec:

To the self-righteous morning birds--bite me. :P

hear hear! :40beers:

VIETgrlTerifa
07-01-2011, 06:04 AM
hear hear! :40beers:
I third that!

skateboy
07-01-2011, 06:08 AM
What an uppity, haughty, snobbish bitch! And I'm not talking about the daughter-in-law.

I sense that the daughter in law comes from a poorer family, and she's jumped on that. I doubt she'd send the same email if the daughter in law were royalty and behaved similarly.

Bullying knows no age limits.

This, this, THIS!

allezfred
07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
No one gets married in a castle unless they own it.

This isn't true. A lot of castles are now hotels and absolutely depend on weddings for their business.

I can't find the whole text of the e-mail. Hearing the diabetes stuff does put a new perspective on Mrs. Bourne's behaviour. :eek:

millyskate
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
This isn't true. A lot of castles are now hotels and absolutely depend on weddings for their business.

I can't find the whole text of the e-mail. Hearing the diabetes stuff does put a new perspective on Mrs. Bourne's behaviour. :eek:

That bit actually made me more sympathetic to the MIL... I have acquaintances with medical conditions who will go on, and on, and on about it all day, using it as justification for self-centered behaviour, attention seeking and poor manners.
Pretty much everyone has a health condition of some description, including myself, and one does need to vent... but I do find it extremely irritating when people feed off their illnesses to get special treatment. It's even worse when group plans are made, and people with the said conditions bring everything to a halt and draw the attention back to themselves and their problems, due to refusing to plan in advance for highly predictable problems.

The description made by the MIL had a feel of déjà vu for me...

cruisin
07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
The one that annoyed me the most was the "one might presume that your parents have saved for your marriage" comment. It's been a tradition in the past, but not everyone follows it today (or is able to). Commenting on how little her parents are putting towards the wedding is much worse than the things the future MIL accused the future DIL of doing while staying at her house.

Yeah, that was pretty :eek::scream:!

This part of the full email is pretty :eek: to me.

It is tragic that you have diabetes. However, you aren't the only young person in the world who is a diabetic...

...As a diabetic of long standing you must be acutely aware of the need to prepare yourself for extraordinary eventualities, the walk to Mothecombe beach being an example.

You are experienced enough to have prepared yourself appropriately....

...[I]When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat - unless you are positively allergic to something.

Yikes! So this witch thinks, it's tragic she has diabetes, she should prepare herself for "eventualities", but she should eat whatever she is served, even if it could make her sick?

You do not remark that you do not have enough food...You do not start before everyone else.

Um, maybe the hostess should have made sure that there were foods a diabetic could eat in the house? And diabetics have to eat at certain times to maintain their sugar/insulin levels.

Sounds like this MIL is a royal bit_h! The young lady should run as fast as she can.

cruisin
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
That bit actually made me more sympathetic to the MIL... I have acquaintances with medical conditions who will go on, and on, and on about it all day, using it as justification for self-centered behaviour, attention seeking and poor manners.

Or, maybe the future DIL simply could not eat what she was being served and the MIL didn't want to have to deal with it and considered it attention seeking, etc. If I were treated that way by a future MIL, I might make a rude comment or two myself.

Ziggy
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
This honestly made news?

What is the world coming to...

FigureSpins
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
This honestly made news?

What is the world coming to...
Better than what was on the front page of our local paper - three highway-closing accidents that killed four people.

I prefer the "slow news" about a nasty MIL to death and mayhem. Just sayin'
(Although Mayhem's commercials are fun to watch! http://www.youtube.com/user/Allstate)