PDA

View Full Version : You Lack Manners: A mother-in-law's rant

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

PDilemma
07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't understand why you'd have to eat fast in large families. If there isn't enough on the table on a regular basis for everyone, why wouldn't the cook just start making more?

I realize money might be an issue in some families but I have trouble believing everyone with a lot of kids is too poor to feed them properly.

My aunt had six boys. No girls. Three teenage boys at once. There is rarely enough food for one teenage boy, let alone three. Doesn't matter how much you make.

MacMadame
07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Who said anything about everyone?
That was certainly the impression I was getting... that if you eat at a house with a lot of kids, you won't get enough to eat.

It just seems bizarre to me. I grew up poor and we still occasionally had leftovers so I don't understand why there wouldn't be enough food put on the table to feed everyone who was there.

taf2002
07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
It doesn't matter if you're poor or if you have a lot of kids. You can still teach manners & you can fix the plates in the kitchen if there is limited food to go around. The only point of family-style with the servings plates on the table is the food is there if someone wants more.

When I was growing up my dad got paid once a month & my mom had to stretch the food dollar to feed a large family. We had a meatless meal at least once a week, sometimes more at the end of the month. But we never snatched & grabbed, leaving nothing for the ones at the end of the table. That's just rude & mean. I think people who tell that kind of story about their childhood are just kidding. What mother would allow the slowest child to go without anything to eat?

ETA: grabbing the food like that reminds me of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I doubt it happens in real life & if it does, shame on them.

PDilemma
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
The people I know who grew up in large families were never starved and never had an empty plate. It was all about the second helpings. If you wanted seconds, you ate fast to get to it before all the others.

The other group of people I know who can suck a meal down in four minutes or less are teachers, btw. The 22 minute lunches in which you have to take care of ten other tasks and be back in your room in time to be ready for the next class leaves two options. 1--Eat quickly or 2. Don't eat.

mrr50
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
My aunt had six boys. No girls. Three teenage boys at once. There is rarely enough food for one teenage boy, let alone three. Doesn't matter how much you make.

I had 2 teenage boys, they brought home their friends. It was like cooking for a small town.

PeterG
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I think people who tell that kind of story about their childhood are just kidding. What mother would allow the slowest child to go without anything to eat?

Some are kidding and some are not. If you have a father who is angry and disillusioned and a mother who is demoralized and depressed, then at times they may be so preoccupied, they might not be aware of what's going on around them. My mother would sometimes come home from work with a migraine and go to bed and we wouldn't see her again until the next morning. (I had older sisters who could cook, so I don't remember ever going hungry.) As an adult, I've asked all my siblings how often this happened and I have never come up with an answer that made sense (everyone's memories are so different).