PDA

View Full Version : You Lack Manners: A mother-in-law's rant

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

AliasJohnDoe
07-03-2011, 08:10 PM
You just ate a dozen ears of corn?? Seriously??

Yep. With a beer.

They were kinda small ears after I husked them. Thought they'd be bigger. Hope that's not a trend on corn this year.

Lainerb
07-04-2011, 08:00 AM
When my mother first moved to Alaska and visited my dad's family she made the great mistake of trying to be helpful(a cultural norm for guests in her culture) by cleaning my elderly great-aunt's kitchen. She threw out what was to her a rotten jar of fish oil and although the kitchen was the most immaculate it had been in years my great aunt held a grudge against my mother for some time because poor mom had thrown out my great aunt's saak oil.

skateboy
07-04-2011, 09:19 AM
saak oil.

I must admit, I don't know what that is. :slinkaway

agalisgv
07-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I must admit, I don't know what that is. :slinkaway Saak is the Tlingit word for a type of fish (I think it's called hooligan or eulachon in English).

Vagabond
07-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Is it bad manners that I bought a dozen ears of corn this morning...and I just ate them all?

Company is coming later this afternoon....their loss. :P

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the corn
that was in
the kitchen

and which
you were probably
expecting
for dinner

Forgive me
it was delicious
so sweet
and so warm.

Lainerb
07-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I must admit, I don't know what that is. :slinkaway

Agalisgv said it's the rendered oil of a type of fish that is then aged for some period of time until it reaches a certain level 'ripeness'. Think thai fish sauce without all the salt and it's usually much stronger.

Wyliefan
07-04-2011, 06:41 PM
This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the corn
that was in
the kitchen

and which
you were probably
expecting
for dinner

Forgive me
it was delicious
so sweet
and so warm.

Nice! :) I liked it with plums, but it works well for corn too!

Angelskates
07-17-2011, 08:59 AM
The couple has confirmed Mrs Bourne will not be attending the wedding. (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8273742/blasted-bride-to-be-speaks-out-about-email)

CynicElle
07-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Imagine that.

znachki
07-17-2011, 06:51 PM
YAY for the Daily Fail! Someone had to step into the vacuum left after the NOTW folded.

cholla
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
The whole bit about "waiting until you're offered additional helpings" is an incredibly foreign concept for me.

It's indeed "foreign" to you since it happened in the U.K. Sometime, American table manners can also seem odd and even rude to foreigners. Just as masticating noisily and burping loudly :yikes: me in some countries where it's totally not bad manners to do so, but on the contrary a nice way to show how much you're enjoying your food.

Personally, I've been taught not to help myself until I'm invited to do so. Just as I've been taught not to talk with a mouth full. Not long ago, I was watching an episode of "Rizzoli & Isles" with my best friend's 10 years old son (who's born of a French father and a Swiss mother) and he was :eek: when beautiful Angie Harmon held a full conversation while masticating Chinese food. It's something his mother taught him never to do, just as she taught him to ask before helping himself again (even at the family table) and she isn't particularly old fashioned or uptight, it's even quite the contrary.

That being said, this Bourne MIL is indeed a true bitch. BTW gay FSUers, what make you think you can escape this fate ? I have gay friends who have horrible MILs from hell too, you know ;) :lol:

PDilemma
07-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I Just as I've been taught not to talk with a mouth full. Not long ago, I was watching an episode of "Rizzoli & Isles" with my best friend's 10 years old son (who's born of a French father and a Swiss mother) and he was :eek: when beautiful Angie Harmon held a full conversation while masticating Chinese food. It's something his mother taught him never to do, just as she taught him to ask before helping himself again (even at the family table) and she isn't particularly old fashioned or uptight, it's even quite the contrary.

I was born of a Midwestern mother and an Appalachian father and talking with my mouth full is something my mother taught me never to do.

Television rarely depicts Americans accurately.

IceAlisa
07-18-2011, 02:43 AM
I am a former rude Euro and have been taught not to talk with my mouth full. I don't recall any rules about not taking a helping without an offering but then I was such a poor eater as a child that I was unlikely to reach for anything on my own anyway.

Having said that I don't see a lot of US Amerikans chewing with their mouth full or burping at the table.

Flatfoote
07-18-2011, 03:52 AM
I am a former rude Euro and have been taught not to talk with my mouth full. I don't recall any rules about not taking a helping without an offering but then I was such a poor eater as a child that I was unlikely to reach for anything on my own anyway.

Having said that I don't see a lot of US Amerikans chewing with their mouth full or burping at the table.

I chew with my mouth full all the time. :D

But yea, I'm pretty sure most of us have been taught to not talk with their mouth full.

IceAlisa
07-18-2011, 04:00 AM
I chew with my mouth full all the time. :D

But yea, I'm pretty sure most of us have been taught to not talk with their mouth full.

Oh yeah, another day, another typo. You know what I mean. :shuffle: