PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 16 June 29-30

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Aceon6
06-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, I found this week's show a bit more fun to watch than last week's. There were a couple of standout routines and some clear "cannon fodder" performances. As long as Marko, Tadd, Mel and Sasha stay, I'm cool.

Allen
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
I kept wishing for Ellenore & Mark K. to do that Zombie routine. They would have sold the heck out of it.

I agree. I would have loved to have seen them dance that. Even though I liked the choreography very much, the music wasn't particularly effective for me, so I wonder how differently it would have translated with different dancers.

genevieve
06-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I saw the rest of the dances...

Tyce's group routine was fun, and Ryan was not pushed into the front as with other group routines - the women all rotated through the center spot. Yay.

Mel & Marko did a great job with meh choreography. Too much lite in that CrappyTabs hip hop lite and why was Melanie swaddled with a decoupaged hefty bag?

Caitlyn & Mitchell's Samba was a good effort. I can see what everyone is saying about Mitchell's hip/booty work - he had an ease that most non-ballroom guys aren't going to find easily, but it wasn't exactly the right technique.

Sasha & Alexander's piano piece was gorgeous :swoon: slight foot error on the piano I may not have noticed if I hadn't read it first. Great recovery. Rare SYTYCD editing error as we saw the camera guy walking around the stage :P

flyingsit
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Someone I know posted this performance of Melanie's on facebook. http://youtu.be/VKnflvBjUwo Wow.

genevieve
06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
that was fantastic - normally the routines at those competitions are just wretched. wish they'd post the choreographer. that was stellar and a great showcase for Melanie.

I love one of the comments to the video says "watching her dance is like dropping acid" :lol:

Tesla
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
6. Sasha and Alex - I want to like them but feel they are mismatched. She dances everything so hard and he's so much more vulnerable and lyrical in his movement. I felt like she needed to bring some softer lines to this dance and she just isn't capable. I felt the same way about their dancing last week.

I thought the same thing last night. I felt the performance didn't work because she was just too hard. She needs to bring the softness.

Aceon6
06-30-2011, 06:35 PM
As I expected from EW, "Meanwhile, Fox’s two-hour So You Think You Can Dance (5.4 million, 1.9) placed last among the reality competition, plus dropped 14 percent from last week." Got killed by The Voice, Love in the Wild, and AGT.

genevieve
06-30-2011, 06:44 PM
trounced by "Love in the Wild"? ouch

JJH
06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
There were many, many, many enraged posts on TWOP last week with a large number of posters claiming to be done with the show after last week's eliminations. My guess would be that many of those viewers will return eventually. I watched this week, but didn't bother to vote.

Cyn
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
There were many, many, many enraged posts on TWOP last week with a large number of posters claiming to be done with the show after last week's eliminations. My guess would be that many of those viewers will return eventually. I watched this week, but didn't bother to vote.

Ditto over at IDF, which I found to be a bit of a surprise since that place is usually riddled with fan-centric posts.

If Ryan/Ricky do in fact wind up in the B3, it will be interesting to see how Nigel deals with his pet.

FiveRinger
06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Ditto over at IDF, which I found to be a bit of a surprise since that place is usually riddled with fan-centric posts.

If Ryan/Ricky do in fact wind up in the B3, it will be interesting to see how Nigel deals with his pet.

I hope he cuts her off like a bad habit. But because I want it, it won't happen.

I watched the show today (dvr) and forwarded thru the judges commentary. But of course, I've read the thread. This might be what I do in the future. I don't have to listen to Nigel try to spin his bullshit and I can enjoy the dancing. The only plus about being at work during the broadcast.

Ashley and Chris were clearly the sub-par pair this week. That routine (thanks, Sonya!) Was great and they didn't do it justice. Even in the group numbers they don't stand out. There's nothing remarkable about either one. They can go.
I don't understand the Sasha love at all. This won't be popular here, but her movements are heavy; she doesn't appear light to me. And Alexander reminds me more of Sandhu than JW.

I am really liking Clarice (she's gorgeous) and Jess (by default), Jordan and Tad are cute, and Melanie and Marko despite that horrid costume and choreography. I liked Caitlynn in her previous routines but her samba just looked odd. Mitchell worked it, though.

Ryan will live another week. There's no way she'll get cut before Ashley.

flyingsit
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM

He'll keep her around and say that "somehow America is just not connecting with you, and I don't understand, because you're a wonderful person and a wonderful dancer with a wonderful personality." The same crap he did when Robert was in the bottom week after week last year.

Holley Calmes
06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
. And Alexander reminds me more of Sandhu than JW.

He does. He's beautiful, too. I think he's my favorite guy but not just for his face. I love the way he moves. Maybe it's because of my ballet preference, and he's been in several ballet companies, hasn't he? I think I remember reading that on his bio. Not very big companies, and he's not "the other Alex" but he ain't bad.

rjblue
06-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I had to be away from home last night and I finally found all the dance performances on Youtube. My impressions:

Cat looks glorious in this episode. She must have fired last weeks dresser.

Tyce's jazz choreo is so much better than his broadway. I liked Hit the Road Jack a lot- especially Miranda- who is really growing on me.

Sasha and Alexander. I liked all but the last 30 seconds. I hope both of them make top 10.

Mitchell and Caitlyn. I liked him a lot and didn't notice her at all. It was okay.

Miranda and Robert. Tyce is doing well by his dancers this episode. She really comes across well on TV.

Melanie and Marko were competent. It didn't really connect with me though, and I usually like lyrical hip-hop.

Ashley and Chris. I liked the piece, but she looked much more powerful than him, which unbalanced it for me a bit.

Clarisse and Jess. That was a nice floaty Foxtrot. I don't like Jess's body size/type. I much prefer it when the man has longer legs than the woman. There's nothing he can do to improve it though.

Ryan and Ricky. I didn't like this piece at all, and then I realised I was watching Ryan. I started watching Ricky and I loved it. She is too melodramatic in her dancing, and although she is very skilled, her muscular build really detracted from the line of this dance.

Jordan and Tadd. That was cute, and fun, and well executed. It made me like her.

And finally- The Civil Wars! Who care about the dancing- they are making the best music I've found since my daughter introduced me to Damien Rice. I bought everything of theirs I could after 5 min of listening to them, and I even started a thead here in OTBT about new and exciting music, but it tragically died an early death. (Sadly, I actually liked the first group number better)

This was a much better show than last weeks. I'm still not settled on a favourite dancer though.

Matryeshka
07-01-2011, 01:08 AM
I like all the parts of Cat's outfit, but I don't like them all together.

The opening number was OK, but it lacked something. The costumes needed some rhinestones. Maybe some sparkly mesh.