PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 16 June 29-30

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Jimena
06-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Mary and Nigel have been reading their criticism re: Ryan and Ricky--it's RANDOM, we SWEAR!--getting contemporary/jazz every week versus Sasha/Alex and M/M, both of those have gotten styles other than contemporary. ;)

I might be obtuse, but there are 4 couples that have gotten contemporary, jazz or broadway twice and lyrical or light hip hop. They're Marko/Melanie (contemprary, jazz, lyrical hip hop), Sasha/Alexander (contemporary, lyrical hip hop, contemporary), Ricky/Ryan (lyrical hip hop, jazz, contemporary) and Ashley/Chris (hip hop, Broadway, jazz). I don't get what you're saying.

uyeahu
06-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I see Ryan more as cheerleader #4 in Bring It On: I've Brought It Six Times Before, Is This Time Really Necessary?

:rofl:

Overall I agree with your assessment of the dancers as well.

genevieve
06-30-2011, 06:16 AM
I missed most of the first hour (but saw Miranda and Robert), so this will be brief (you're welcome ;) )

Miranda/Robert - liked the dance, both did well, but a little awkward. If this dance makes it to the tour I bet it will be loads better by then.

Clarice/Jess - FINALLY they both get to wear shoes! And look what happens - they were freakin fab :cheer2:

Ashley/Chris - first time he really shined, and she did too, but I think Lil C? nailed it, in that you don't remember them when they're not actually dancing. I can't believe no one in this thread it commenting on the Beetlejuice comments in the show :lol:

Ryan/Rickey - oh how I wish I could vote for Rickey only. Loved the dance, FLOVED him. Ryan danced extremely well but didn't connect emotionally (plus brought at least a couple :Ds which did not fit the piece at all) while Rickey was just laying it out there. Plus, I adore Robyn. Would love to see Rickey dance this on tour with a different lady.

Jordan/Tadd - other than the :huh: over Jordan "I want to be a Pussycat Doll"'s discomfort with the subject matter, I thought this was cute and well performed. I adore Tadd, and Jordan did very well too.

Ending group number was ok but not that memorable.

My choice to go would be Ryan and Chris, but if it has to be a pair (per usual) it should be Ashley/Chris.

Yay for adding back a 3rd real judge, and Kristin Chenoweth was a great guest. Keep her all season!!

Cheylana
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
I watched the show on DVR-delay, but pretty much agree with Matryeshka's assessment and ranking.

Maybe tomorrow, they'll get rid of Ryan and Chris. I'd like to see what Ashley and Ricky could do with an upgrade in partner.
Call me cynical but I wouldn't count on this happening. I think they want Ashley and Chris gone, and in any event no way would they sacrifice Ryan in favor of Ashley. After all, Ryan and Ricky are one of the power couples this season--um, yeah show, because power couples typically fall into the bottom 3 in the second week of competition. :rolleyes: That said, I don't dislike Ryan but the fawning is a bit much.

Cyn
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
For Genevieve (before it gets yanked from youtube);

Melanie/Marco's CrappyTabs routine from tonight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZXU2KiC1g)

(apologies for the cruddy video quality, but it's the only one available at the moment)

ETA: I've watched this two or three times, and I can't help but think about the whole theme of the movie Some Kind of Wonderful when Keith realizes that it's Watts who he loves instead of Amanda Jones :lol: .

kwanfan1818
06-30-2011, 08:27 AM
In kwanfan1818 World, by tomorrow evening:

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater hires Ricky Jaime.
Mark Morris Dance Group hires Melanie Moore.
Producers announce a new revival of some Gershwin or Kern musical, and they hire Jesse LeProtto to do the Donald O'Connor role (or the one O'Connor would do had he been in the show), and Nick Young plays the male ingenue and gets a big solo.

Marko Germar wins whatever the SYTYCD equivalent of the mirror ball is.

Loved the judges' meltdown in the middle.

AYS
06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are they not using Tony and Kitty Forman Melanie LaPatin this season for ballroom? Are they doing SYTYCD Canada? Also, where is Jean-Marc's dance partner, France, this year?
I don't know the answers but I do hope Tony does some work this season. I like Jean-Marc, but I love Tony's choreography, it is often very special.

Me too. Love him!

What a shock, I agree with AYS on everything.
:lol: I know, it's eerie, innit. ;)

flyingsit
06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
I figured out why I don't like Ryan (other than the pageant smile). To me she always comes across as thinking her way through the routine, as if she hasn't learned it well enough for the performance to be organic and for her to perform naturally.

Holley Calmes
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
In kwanfan1818 World, by tomorrow evening:

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater hires Ricky Jaime.
Mark Morris Dance Group hires Melanie Moore.
Producers announce a new revival of some Gershwin or Kern musical, and they hire Jesse LeProtto to do the Donald O'Connor role (or the one O'Connor would do had he been in the show), and Nick Young plays the male ingenue and gets a big solo.

Marko Germar wins whatever the SYTYCD equivalent of the mirror ball is.

Loved the judges' meltdown in the middle.

:lol:

This makes me smile too! I'll watch last night's show tonight, but you guys have given me a fab preview.

I must say, however, that I adore Miranda's quirky little face. I think she's precious and communicates a lot more than the blandly pretty girls whose names I can't remember because even tho they're pretty, they're all the same. I don't want anybody to go home, actually.

walei
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't get the Ryan hate and I don't get why people say the show fawns over her. Even in the group routine people think Ryan was front and center but besides throwing the chair Sasha was also just as prominent. To me Ryan is middle of the pack but their performance this week was solid.

Marko...he is just way too adorable and those were real tears!! WOW!! I want to keep him in my pocket he's so cute.

The Accordion
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Alexander dances the way Johnny Weir skates....with an introspective magic.

Ooooo - new rep = _____ is dancing/ skating with an introspective magic!

Allen
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Being that we're in a position again where no one really danced poorly, I think tonight is going to be interesting. I would assume Ashley and Chris will be in the bottom. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I honestly hope that Chris goes home and Ashley gets a new partner because I really like her.

Jimena
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Melanie LaPatin has a column on ew.com and it's pretty good! She doesn't seem to like Alexander as much as I do, though.

Here (http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/30/melanie-lapatin-so-you-think-you-can-dance/) it is, if anyone's interested.

Rob
06-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Ashley/Chris I kept wishing this was Kupono or Mark and Courtney doing this routine. It had a lot of potential I think; I want to see this routine done by dancers with more charisma and more ability to commit to a role. Sonyah was freakin' robbed by the dancers she got this week. ((((Sonyah))))
This is exactly what I said: Kupono, Ellenore Scott, Mark, Courtney would have just eaten this piece for lunch. It was a great piece, but it was performed like la,la,la, blah, blah. AAARGH.

Era
06-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I kept wishing for Ellenore & Mark K. to do that Zombie routine. They would have sold the heck out of it.

So many couples don't seem to really connect. I wish they'd mix them up sooner. I really enjoyed Marko & Melanie's piece because they sold it (especially Marko) though there really wasn't much hip hop in that "lyrical hip hop" :)

Still trying to figure out who made the error on Alex & Sasha's piano routine. When he was lifting her up it looked like her foot slipped off the keyboard or something. Good recovery by her though.

Not a fan of Jess & Clarice but thought they did a great job last night.