PDA

View Full Version : Lysacek Eyeing Return to Competitive Skating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Iceman
07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
IMO The real amateurs are those who compete without being able to earn a living at it (and there are many)---so that excludes the Michelles, the Evanses, the Sashas. They were amateurs at one time but imo lost amateur status, even though the official world says they haven't. So to those who think Evan is not an amateur "in the purest form", I agree. Since society is confused about the issue , no surprise that an athlete would be .

One of the worst moves the OLympics ever made imo was allowing blatantly professionals to
compete in tennis, basketball etc. The lines certainly have become blurred, but I don't see the clock ever being turned back.

Athena
07-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I see what you mean, but hey why be so nitpicky? :lol: Watch his whole speech then you'll get the point. He's talking from a figure skater's perspective, giving credit and showing respect to his sport, not himself.
http://www.officialevanlysacek.com/blog/?p=828

IMO, comparing to most of the mainstream sports in US (Football, basketball, tennis, baseball, hockey, golf etc), figure skating is 'pure amateur'.

As for Evan, although he is doing very well, he's not Michelle, Yuna or Mao. It might be a different situation in Europe, Asia and Canada, but in America, figure skating is still regarded as a sissy sport, which means that no matter how successful he is, a male figure skater will never get the same level of sponsorship, attention and respect as female skater with the same achievement. Same case for male gymnasts and divers. It's not fair, but it's the fact. So keep headlining skating shows like SOI and Disson would be the easiest and most comfortable choice for him to live a rich and famous life and cash in his Olympic victory till 2014. He EARNED it through 18 years of hard work and he deserves it.

However, if he decides to return to competition, he'll have to decline those shows, give up all the other opportunities for making $$$ and focus on nothing but training, which is what he chose to do and is doing now. Even if he keeps wining after return, the prize money will be nothing comparing to the high expenses of his training and comparing to what he could make from attending skating shows, not to mention how deep the current men's field is, and how many FSUers already wrote him off the podium as soon as he got the GP assignments. :rolleyes:

By the way, I ALWAYS have high respect to those 'pure amateur' skaters, especially Ms Fumie Suguri. ;)

jjane, glad you like it! :swoon:

Good luck Evan. :kickass:

Cheylana
07-10-2011, 09:45 PM
^ Very well said Athena! :respec:

skatesindreams
07-10-2011, 09:50 PM
^ Very well said Athena! :respec:

Indeed!

Japanfan
07-10-2011, 11:44 PM
As for Evan, although he is doing very well, he's not Michelle, Yuna or Mao. It might be a different situation in Europe, Asia and Canada, but in America, figure skating is still regarded as a sissy sport, which means that no matter how successful he is, a male figure skater will never get the same level of sponsorship, attention and respect as female skater with the same achievement.

I very much doubt that Evan is hurting for sponsorship, attention and respect. His SYTYCD (? think that's the name of the American show?) accomplish, on the heels of his Olympic win, set him up very well.

However, if he decides to return to competition, he'll have to decline those shows, give up all the other opportunities for making $$$ and focus on nothing but training, which is what he chose to do and is doing now. Even if he keeps wining after return, the prize money will be nothing comparing to the high expenses of his training and comparing to what he could make from attending skating shows, not to mention how deep the current men's field is, and how many FSUers already wrote him off the podium as soon as he got the GP assignments. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he can comfortably afford to take some time off and pay for training. And who knows how well this planned return to competition will go? It might not even happen at all.

pattycake
07-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Evan's win was Dancing with the Stars.

centerpt1
07-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Evan's win was Dancing with the Stars.

I thought he came in 2nd?

Proustable
07-11-2011, 01:01 AM
pattycake is correcting the SYTYCD (So You Think You Can Dance is one show, the one Evan was on was Dancing with the Stars)

Japanfan
07-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I thought he came in 2nd?

I think Pattycake means 'win' in the sense that he second place finish enabled him to capitalize exceptionally well on his position as Olympic champion. The show made him a household name among people who didn't know him before the Olympics or know him at all. People who avidly follow the dance shows may not follow figure skating, so he got more than double the exposure and publicity - which translates into celebrity and $$.

Spartacus
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Evan is a great athlete and human being, and there can be no doubt his intentions are pure. Not only because Evan is a man of honor, but because you can believe Mr. Frank C is not going to waste his time coaching someone only in it for the publicity.

Gil-Galad
07-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Evan is a great athlete and human being, and there can be no doubt his intentions are pure. Not only because Evan is a man of honor, but because you can believe Mr. Frank C is not going to waste his time coaching someone only in it for the publicity.
Well, I sincerely hope he is Catholic then. I'm not sure he would qualify for a beatification otherwise.

senorita
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
^ LOL!:rofl:

Spartacus
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, I sincerely hope he is Catholic then. I'm not sure he would qualify for a beatification otherwise.
And yet he still has that 2010 OGM. Oops...

ciocio
07-12-2011, 07:33 AM
And yet he still has that 2010 OGM. Oops...

I didnīt know the ogm was a requirement for beatification. :confused: :D

senorita
07-12-2011, 10:24 AM
^ I think the IBU (International Beatification Union) they changed the rules this season and now you have to have the platinum to apply for the post.