PDA

View Full Version : Lysacek Eyeing Return to Competitive Skating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Iceman
07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
E

As many people said, there's not much he could gain but there could be a lot to lose when he chose to return to competitive skating, I'm sure he's fully aware of that too. But he still decided to go for the tough route, because that's where his heart belongs to. When you do something because of pure passion and love but not just for fame or money, that's where the success will come along. Not to mention this is a guy who always gives it 120% whatever he's determined to do.

So I think he'll make a successful comeback, and I wish him all the best.
Do you think Yuna lost much when she competed at Worlds and didn't win?
It doesn't seem that she did. When one has an OGM, it seems to me that much is overlooked and forgiven. The OGM rules.

BoobLess
07-08-2011, 07:34 AM
When one has an OGM, it seems to me that much is overlooked and forgiven. The OGM rules.
Sarah Hughes would beg to differ :sheep:

Sally1214
07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm really not trying to be mean. Evan is a terrific skater. BUT, he's got nowhere to go but down. He was VERY lucky to win his Olympic gold and I personally don't think he'll ever come close to that again. So, if I were him, I would take my Oly. title and run with it. But, maybe he doesn't really mind if he never reaches the top again. In the end, it's his decision, so I'll just wish him luck with whatever he decides to do. :)

Jenna
07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm really not trying to be mean. Evan is a terrific skater. BUT, he's got nowhere to go but down. He was VERY lucky to win his Olympic gold and I personally don't think he'll ever come close to that again. So, if I were him, I would take my Oly. title and run with it. But, maybe he doesn't really mind if he never reaches the top again. In the end, it's his decision, so I'll just wish him luck with whatever he decides to do. :)

Lucky?? He worked his @$$ of for that medal for a very long time, and he did skate the cleanest and most consistent programs of all the men combined. I find it kind of rude that you call his victory "lucky." Evan's a hard worker, and a naturally gifted skater. He might not be World Champion again, or win a world medal of any color, but I'm very confident he won't embarrass himself.

l'etoile
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
is there any info on his music choice yet? handsome face with inspiring attitude getting back to the ice is always a good news to hear:)

Iceman
07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Evan is a fine tuned machine and his experience with DWS only enhanced that.

Spartacus
07-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Evan is a fine tuned machine and his experience with DWS only enhanced that.
Oh yeah, he's "fine tuned" for sure! :swoon:

Japanfan
07-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Do you think Yuna lost much when she competed at Worlds and didn't win?
It doesn't seem that she did.

Her tears on the podium spoke volumes. I think it was more than disappointment about not winning. Most likely she would rather not continue to skate but is being pressured to do so by her mother and her federation. After the Olympics she ran out of steam and her performance at that Worlds was uninspired. Then she missed the GP series and was again uninspired at worlds.

To me her tears spoke of relief that it was over, and also of unhappiness in general. It is likely very hard for her to defy the wishes of her mother and the federation, especially since she feels such a huge responsibility to Korea - a responsibility to earn 2 spots for her country, a responsibility to win titles for her fans.

l'etoile
07-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Her tears on the podium spoke volumes. I think it was more than disappointment about not winning. Most likely she would rather not continue to skate but is being pressured to do so by her mother and her federation. After the Olympics she ran out of steam and her performance at that Worlds was uninspired. Then she missed the GP series and was again uninspired at worlds.

To me her tears spoke of relief that it was over, and also of unhappiness in general. It is likely very hard for her to defy the wishes of her mother and the federation, especially since she feels such a huge responsibility to Korea - a responsibility to earn 2 spots for her country, a responsibility to win titles for her fans.

so you know everything about Yuna huh?
don't make her a victim of some kind of freudian complex and policitical play. she's not that kind of person and certainly not in that position to be mal-handled. PLUS she just helped her own country win the bid for the olympics. GIVE HER SOME CREDIT.

btw this is Evan's thread but why do you keep insisting talking about Yuna?

Japanfan
07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
so you know everything about Yuna huh?
don't make her a victim of some kind of freudian complex and policitical play. she's not that kind of person and certainly not in that position to be mal-handled. PLUS she just helped her own country win the bid for the olympics. GIVE HER SOME CREDIT.

:confused::confused:

That Yunah cried on the podium and not with joy is self-evident. That she told reporters she was distracted and tired after the Olympics is fact, not conjecture. That she was uninspired at the post-Olympic WC and 2011 WC was self-evident. That she missed the 2010-11 GP series and IIRC, has said she will not compete in the next GP series suggests that competing is not her priority - not surprising given the demands on her time.

Figure skating is political in case you haven't noticed and if you think the Korean Federation doesn't have political goals with their star Yunah Kim, you're kidding yourself.

And, there is nothing Freudian or mysterious about feeling a responsibility to parents, relevant authorities (in this case the federation) and country. The Confucian-based principle of filial piety (devotion to parents) is standard in Asian cultures and many youth struggle with the conflict that may arise between wanting to satisfy their own goals and wanting to satisfy the goals their parents set for them. (This I know through my considerable contact with Asian youth, who I work with regularly in the course of my job).

Where you got that I gave her no credit, I have no idea.

At the moment, there is no woman who in the world who compares to Yunah at her best. Her inability to capitalize on that at the last two WC, when she was beat by arguably inferior competitors (and I say this as a huge Mao fan hoping that the best from Mao is yet to come) suggests that she has wearied of competition. And you don't need to be Freud to see that.

Jaana
07-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Her tears on the podium spoke volumes. I think it was more than disappointment about not winning. Most likely she would rather not continue to skate but is being pressured to do so by her mother and her federation.

A totally different situation with Evan. He is coming back because he wants to compete and besides his expectations are very realistic.

Athena
07-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Agree. Here's a quote from one of the interviews Evan did in March, which IMO perfectly answered the doubts and questions addressed in previous pages.

"I think that after Vancouver, my logic was to stop competing," Lysacek said. "I thought, ‘I have a lot more to lose than I do to gain.’ But my heart or my emotions begged to differ with my brains. It just told me I wasn’t finished. I still have a desire to do this."

I'm so proud that he has the guts to follow his heart.

When he won Sullivan Award earlier this year, he said

I am an amateur athlete in its purest form and I perform because I love it. :respec:

jjane45
07-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Love those quotes, thank you Athena!

Louise
07-10-2011, 05:12 AM
What exactly is being 'an amateur athlete in its purest form', if Evan believes he qualifies for that? He makes $$$ skating, winning prize money for competing, etc. I'm not sure I understand what he means.

Japanfan
07-10-2011, 06:49 AM
What exactly is being 'an amateur athlete in its purest form', if Evan believes he qualifies for that? He makes $$$ skating, winning prize money for competing, etc. I'm not sure I understand what he means.

I would assume he means he loves to compete an amateur.

But yes, one could argue against "in its purest form". That would suggest someone who does not earn money at the sport professionally and loves to compete for the sake of competition itself and for love of the sport. Had Evan not been World and Olympic champion, would he still be inspired to compete?

IMO Fumie Suguri is a better fit with 'amateur athlete in its purest form'. She wanted to keep skating long after she reached her peak, knowing that she might not even make the world team. And she sought out and found sponsors to help her.