PDA

View Full Version : Lysacek Eyeing Return to Competitive Skating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

kittyjake5
06-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Who has really had a consistent quad along with the other skills (choreography, footwork, transitions, etc) necessary to contend for a major title? Counting this year I count Chan and maybe Kozuka. Both have not exactly been 100% successful in their attempts, but good enough. Lysacek has done the quad in the past and is capable of one. He is not consistent but neither are many of the other guys. He has the rest of the goods besides the quad. He also doesn't tend to unravel in his programs and nails his jumps. Some of the top guys haven't been able to hold it together on the big stage. That is another big strength of Evan's, mental toughness.

This.

I don't understand what the big deal is about Evan's possible comeback.
If folks don't like him or his skating they can always take a fridge break. Me, myself and I will be watching him skate. GO Evan!!!!

PeterG
06-30-2011, 08:05 PM
OPM = Olympic Platinum Medal

:confused:

Two golds = platinum?

Cyn
06-30-2011, 08:08 PM
:confused:

Two golds = platinum?

It has to do with the rabid Plushenko fans who were outraged that Evan won the OGM in Vancouver -- they had a special platinum medal made for him to "trump" the gold earned by Evan :rolleyes: .

danceronice
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
This.

I don't understand what the big deal is about Evan's possible comeback.
If folks don't like him or his skating they can always take a fridge break. Me, myself and I will be watching him skate. GO Evan!!!!

Yep. Special bonus irony points that the same people calling Evan old and stagnant and crippled are some of the ones cheering the return of Plushy, who by that standard is ancient, stagant, and practically in a wheelchair.

Evan at least I can buy putting in the work to make a seriously run at it. If he (or for that matter Plushy) think they can manage it, go for it. Only on Planet Skating are they ancient.

PeterG
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
It has to do with the rabid Plushenko fans who were outraged that Evan won the OGM in Vancouver -- they had a special platinum medal made for him to "trump" the gold earned by Evan :rolleyes: .

:eek: I can't believe the ISU allowed that!!!

:P

Rob
06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Troublemaker

caseyedwards
06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
I am pretty sure the fans made a gold medal. The Platinum started with a radio host.

Yazmeen
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Shortly after the 2010 Olympics, Evgeny's "official" website listed his 3 Olympic medals as the "Silver of Salt Lake," "Gold of Torino" and "Platinum of Vancouver." This cause a minor kerfluffle when the press picked up on it and he was fingered for doing this. I believe this was done by a fan/fans, not EP, but it was quickly changed once it made the press. If someone has more/better recollection of the events here, please chime in.

Edited to add: Here's a picture of the way the website looked from Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/evgeni-plushenkos-platinu_n_472590.html

senorita
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Yep. Special bonus irony points that the same people calling Evan old and stagnant and crippled are some of the ones cheering the return of Plushy, who by that standard is ancient, stagant, and practically in a wheelchair.

Evan at least I can buy putting in the work to make a seriously run at it. If he (or for that matter Plushy) think they can manage it, go for it. Only on Planet Skating are they ancient.

I was kind commenting the same, that people who were outraged for Plushenko's comeback before Vancouver because of age and what else does he want and repeated it like 100times/per post, now have changed tune and suddently 26 is not old, if Evan wants to keep competing cause he feels like it it ''s fine, which it is btw.
As far as I m concerned if Dick Button wants to make a comeback, who would tell him not to?

attyfan
06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
:eek: I can't believe the ISU allowed that!!!

:P

Not sure what the ISU would have to say about it. I don't think any sporting entity has the right to tell fans what they can or cannot give to their favorite athlete ... unless it was made to resemble the actual Oly medals so closely that it was copyright infringement or something ... but I would think that the IOC or the host Oly Committee would hold the rights to the design of the actual medal.

dinakt
06-30-2011, 09:45 PM
In other sports, we admire the veterans. Federer, Dara Torres... IF Evan, or Evgeny, whoever, can come back at the highest level, they have my utmost admiration. Now, I am not a fan of Plushenko, and Evan- only slightly more, but that's beside the point completely. If they want to compete and have the ability to do it, they are great athletes.

query5
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
evan is who he is. a good athlete, i just wish him to do what is wants , not what we, anyone else.
i just want him to be happy, healthy, do what he wants this season.

foreverkwanfan
06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
If Frank Carroll turned down Adam Rippon because of Evan then I am grrrr. I think Frank could have done great things for Adam. I guess there is no way to find out though.

GoldenMichelle
06-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't get it - if Evan is thinking of coming back, what is he thinking of doing with his Stars on Ice contract? He can't just blow it off - it's a contract. While SOI allowed for his schedule when he was doing that DWTS program, that has national exposure here in the US and they probably figured would augment ticket sales. The GP does nothing for ticket sales here so how does it work, or are his assignments spaced so that he could do them and not miss any SOI shows?

Perhaps he had the contract written so as to allow for a return to competitive skating.

Agreed. Evan has still been doing his triple jumps (minus the axel) seemingly effortlessly in his SOI shows and other exhibitions. He has stayed in shape despite not training the same number of hours he did in the years prior to the 2010 Olympics. I just don't understand why some are saying he can't be competitive with the best skaters. Now that he'll be back training with Carroll, he can really get back into kick-butt mode. He is one of the most determined and hard-working athletes I've watched and I don't doubt that he can still contend for medals at the major competitions.
^This^

Yazmeen
07-01-2011, 12:33 AM
If Frank Carroll turned down Adam Rippon because of Evan then I am grrrr. I think Frank could have done great things for Adam. I guess there is no way to find out though.

I somehow can't picture Frank Extremely Tough Love Carroll working well with Adam. And Adam seems to be getting what he needs from Jason D which is a reworking of his technique in a more gentle collaborative manner ala Alyssa.