PDA

View Full Version : Lysacek Eyeing Return to Competitive Skating

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

t.mann
06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
from the article:

"Another skater recently had asked Carroll about training with him. The coach would not take that skater if Lysacek wanted to try to compete again, so Carroll told Lysacek he needed to make a decision by mid-June."

There are probably lots of guys who would love to work with Frank, but my guess is Adam Rippon. He's in direct competition with Evan for making the Worlds team and was looking for a coach recently.

my thought too.

kwanette
06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Kwanette was referring to Sarah Hughes. :) But I also enjoyed watching Sasha skate again at nationals. Espana Cani is one of my favorite programs of hers. I'm jealous that you saw it live in the arena!

Thank you..I WAS talking about Sarah Hughes, NOT Sasha Cohen. I have always enjoyed Sasha's skating.

PeterG
06-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Kwanette was referring to Sarah Hughes. :)

:duh:

But I also enjoyed watching Sasha skate again at nationals. Espana Cani is one of my favorite programs of hers. I'm jealous that you saw it live in the arena!

I was sitting with a bunch of Kwan-ubers (they do exist! :lol:) and at first, they were harsh with Cohen, but after each practise, they eased up on her, seeing the effort she had put into her comeback. After the long, even though she didn't make it to the Olympics, they were all "hats off" to her. Although if it had been Kwan in her place, the fireworks would have been big enough to blow the roof off the place! :D

FSfan107
06-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Like Evan or not, he takes competing seriously, and I doubt he'd come back unless he feels he still has more to contribute to the sport. As for competing in the GP, it doesn't surprise me in the least that if Evan said he wants back in the game, they put him in one of the SA slots.

After his success on DWTS, his exposure and fame from that = filled seats at Skate America -- something that is desperately needed.

Now, whether or not he competes in the other GP is another story.

Agreed. Evan has still been doing his triple jumps (minus the axel) seemingly effortlessly in his SOI shows and other exhibitions. He has stayed in shape despite not training the same number of hours he did in the years prior to the 2010 Olympics. I just don't understand why some are saying he can't be competitive with the best skaters. Now that he'll be back training with Carroll, he can really get back into kick-butt mode. He is one of the most determined and hard-working athletes I've watched and I don't doubt that he can still contend for medals at the major competitions.

Ziggy
06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Agreed. Evan has still been doing his triple jumps (minus the axel) seemingly effortlessly in his SOI shows and other exhibitions. He has stayed in shape despite not training the same number of hours he did in the years prior to the 2010 Olympics. I just don't understand why some are saying he can't be competitive with the best skaters. Now that he'll be back training with Carroll, he can really get back into kick-butt mode. He is one of the most determined and hard-working athletes I've watched and I don't doubt that he can still contend for medals at the major competitions.

If he never had a consistent quad in the past, he's going to get one now at 28?

Nomad
06-30-2011, 04:34 AM
He's 26. The OPM is 28.

Ziggy
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
He's 26. The OPM is 28.

Oops you're right, sorry for that mistake.

26 is still "skater-old." ;)

FSfan107
06-30-2011, 04:38 AM
If he never had a consistent quad in the past, he's going to get one now at 28?

Who has really had a consistent quad along with the other skills (choreography, footwork, transitions, etc) necessary to contend for a major title? Counting this year I count Chan and maybe Kozuka. Both have not exactly been 100% successful in their attempts, but good enough. Lysacek has done the quad in the past and is capable of one. He is not consistent but neither are many of the other guys. He has the rest of the goods besides the quad. He also doesn't tend to unravel in his programs and nails his jumps. Some of the top guys haven't been able to hold it together on the big stage. That is another big strength of Evan's, mental toughness.

Nomad
06-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Oops you're right, sorry for that mistake.

26 is still "skater-old." ;)

I do have to agree with you, though. It seems late in the game to be trying to get a consistent quad.

screech
06-30-2011, 06:17 AM
He's 26. The OPM is 28.

I bet Evan is just coming back because Plushy is. Maybe to try to create a new rivalry of 'The previously non-competing Olympians who had a bit of O's snark and want to create buzz for their own countries' (Worst superhero names ever.)

Cyn
06-30-2011, 06:29 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop, but what does OPM stand for? :confused:

SkateFan66
06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop, but what does OPM stand for? :confused:

OPM = Olympic Platinum Medal

kia_4EverOnIce
06-30-2011, 08:40 AM
I do have to agree with you, though. It seems late in the game to be trying to get a consistent quad.

especially when he stopped practising it because of injury...
anyway, looking forward to GP :watch:

I bet Evan is just coming back because Plushy is. Maybe to try to create a new rivalry...

so, I want also Weir and Yags in the ring! :D

senorita
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I bet Evan is just coming back because Plushy is.
If thats the case I wish Yagudin would come back instead:shuffle:

Re injury of Lysacek that he losts his quad because of it, whenever i read this my mind goes to Lambiel, Dai, Plushy, Joub to name a few who were/are doing one surgery after the other season after season, knees, groin, sprained ankles, cutting their foot etc, and these were consistent quad skaters, it is not like Lysacek was Timothy Goebel jumper and suddently lost it because of an injury a season before Olympics. The list of injured skaters is looooong.

Satellitegirl
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
What can I say, it seems that he really wants to compete so I wish him good luck. :)

^this