PDA

View Full Version : Shocking/disappointing breakups in FS

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Vash01
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Grishchuk & Platov- right after their second OGM when they should have been making lots of money as pros, they split. From what I read, years later they even had some regrets about it (at least Oksana/Pasha did).

Wyliefan
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Although we spectators didn't know this at the time, Rudy later admitted that he sometimes had shown up for pairs practices after drinking. In that dangerous situation I would have ended the partnership immediately!

You're kidding! Man, I'd be scared stiff to be hoisted up in the air by a partner who'd just been hitting the sauce. :scream:

aliceanne
06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
You're kidding! Man, I'd be scared stiff to be hoisted up in the air by a partner who'd just been hitting the sauce. :scream:

Also, I think he just wasn't big enough to make it at pairs much longer.

Averbukh dropping Anissina to skate with Lobecheva was also a shock, although it worked out well for Gwendal Peizerat.

casken
06-28-2011, 12:41 AM
I think it had to partly to do with Morozov. Kraatz claimed he still wanted to train seriously and apparently Morozov wasn't that into it. Kraatz said in one inter view something to the effect that 'I don't know what he is doing (meaning Morozov)'. It's interesting that he and Bourne weren't even communicating until after she divorced Morozov.

I remember her spending far more time hugging Morozov than Kraatz when she found out they won worlds. :lol:

Cheylana
06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
To me the most shocking one still remains- Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll just before the 2002 Olympic season.

I amaze myself. I skimmed your post quickly and read every single one except Michelle and Frank. Sorry! Then I agree!
That's ok; it was shocking enough to bear repeating!

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I still wonder what the real reason for that split was?

Money?

Frank becoming an unbearable bitchy old queen?

The Observer
06-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I still wonder what the real reason for that split was?

Money?

Frank becoming an unbearable bitchy old queen?

From what I remember Michelle and Frank saying in interviews at the time, they didn't have an epic big fight or anything - she got to the point where she wanted to take more control over her own skating and evolve on her own. Supposedly they remain friends.

miki88
06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
The breakup between Michelle and Carroll really shocked me (perhaps still do). Although I understand the possible reasons for the breakup, I felt the timing was not good at all.

Cheylana
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
The timing was horrendous. When I found out, I said, "it's that dopey hockey player she's dating; he's a bad influence!" :mad: :lol:

reese
06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Frank had some kind of provision where he got a certain % of all of Michelle's money-- comps, endorsements, tours, anything. Same thing that Fassi had with Dorothy Hammill. I'm not sure how common or unusual that kind of arrangement is. I think the financial side of things impacted Michelle's decision, although the timing of the split was certainly less than ideal.

aliceanne
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Frank had some kind of provision where he got a certain % of all of Michelle's money-- comps, endorsements, tours, anything. Same thing that Fassi had with Dorothy Hammill. I'm not sure how common or unusual that kind of arrangement is. I think the financial side of things impacted Michelle's decision, although the timing of the split was certainly less than ideal.

I think they had that financial arrangement for a long time.

I read an interview with Lori Nicholson where she said Michelle was starting to go her own way and wanting to do things outside of skating like going to college, while they were trying to "take her to the next level". It sounds to me like Michelle became an adult and wanted to start making her own decisions and expand her horizons outside of skating, while Frank and Lori were used to having her undivided time and attention. That seems normal to me. The timing may have been a shock, but when you're ready to go, you're ready to go. Maybe the OGM wasn't the be all end all for her any longer.

Cheylana
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
OGM or no, Michelle Kwan was a phenomenal skater and had an amazing skating career, but I still can't help but wonder what might have been had she stayed with Frank through the 2001-02 season. She was probably a triple flip away from Olympic glory; having FC at the boards might have made the difference. Or not. Oh well.

orbitz
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I read an interview with Lori Nicholson where she said Michelle was starting to go her own way and wanting to do things outside of skating like going to college, while they were trying to "take her to the next level". It sounds to me like Michelle became an adult and wanted to start making her own decisions and expand her horizons outside of skating, while Frank and Lori were used to having her undivided time and attention. That seems normal to me.

Um...couldn't she decide on that AFTER SLC ? :lol:

The timing may have been a shock, but when you're ready to go, you're ready to go. Maybe the OGM wasn't the be all end all for her any longer.

MK was the reigning WC, a heavy favorite in 2002 and competing in her home country. I place my bet that winning the gold in SLC was numero uno on her mind.

Macassar88
06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Chen Lu splitting from her coach of many years after winning a world gold (95) and world silver (96) was also shocking, and it really affected her skating in 1997.

IIRC, She had wanted to split with her coach before 97 because it wasn't working out anymore. But the Chinese fed forced her to stay with said coach which is why she was doing so terribly in 97.

aliceanne
06-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Um...couldn't she decide on that AFTER SLC ? :lol:

MK was the reigning WC, a heavy favorite in 2002 and competing in her home country. I place my bet that winning the gold in SLC was numero uno on her mind.

She did all the right things, skated cleanly and didn't win in Nagano. Maybe she felt she needed to change her image as a non-risk taker.