PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Celine82
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry Machida and Mura didn't get a spot and will have to fight for the 1 "TBA" at NHK, while skaters like Majorov, Rogozine (who?!) or Song got invited by a federation other than their own.

In for 3 GPs are Carolina Kostner, Alena Leonova, Michal Brezina, Pechalat/Bourzat and Kavaguti/Smirnov. Strange that only Europeans wanted to 3 GPs.

Proustable
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Weaver/Poje also have three.

Rogozine is the World Junior champion.

Yu Na announced soon after Worlds that she wouldn't compete on the GP circuit due to her committment to Pyeonchang's bid for 2018.

Celine82
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Weaver/Poje also have three.
Oops, sorry, thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks for the info about Rogozine.

Proustable
06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
You know what's weird? Sui/Han only have one spot, despite being JWC and SGP Bronze medalists. Especially with three "up-from-junior" teams from Canada each getting a spot (which I don't think was especially deserved, but whatever).

Also, Rogozine was born in Russia before emigrating to Canada when he was five, so that might play a little into it.

Also also, am glad Kadlecova/Bidar got a spot. They rock.

npavel
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry Machida and Mura didn't get a spot and will have to fight for the 1 "TBA" at NHK, while skaters like Majorov, Rogozine (who?!) or Song got invited by a federation other than their own..

Majorov was junior worlds medallist too.
Why no Faiella-Scali?

Zemgirl
06-27-2011, 01:46 PM
You know what's weird? Sui/Han only have one spot, despite being JWC and SGP Bronze medalists. Especially with three "up-from-junior" teams from Canada each getting a spot (which I don't think was especially deserved, but whatever).
Also strange - why do Lawrence/Swiegers have only one assignment? They're also GP medalists from last year, and 4CC medalists, and yet they only get SC? I don't understand the reasoning here.

Cheylana
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
The biggest :eek: is Evan competing.
I'm kind of surprised. It seems to me he has already won everything and there's nothing left to prove. Unless he wants to prove he can regularly land quads. Is there a rematch with Plush on the horizon?

This could be good for Mirai. A big brother to give her support and advice, and push her around the rink a little bit :)

Proustable
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Also strange - why do Lawrence/Swiegers have only one assignment? They're also GP medalists from last year, and 4CC medalists, and yet they only get SC? I don't understand the reasoning here.

Thinking about it.....

Okay, if my understanding of the new assignment system is correct, it goes by season best scores, right? Sui/Han's score is seventh, which has them at the top of the list of pairs skaters with only one GP event. So if someone withdraws, they should be the first team offered/slotted in. China probably new that and gave Zhang/Zhang (who didn't have a SB due to not competing last year) some political push (they do have two). Lawrence/Sweigers are 11th (2nd after splits and weeding out those who have two) so maybe SC thought the same way. Which was silly for them - have the three up from junior teams even aged out of juniors yet?

shutterbug
06-27-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm quite surprised by this too. :( Obviously those medals don't mean very much. Are they that low in the ISU rankings? The ranking lists seems to be down right now so I can't check.

ETA: Thanks for the extra info Proustable! And yes, the 3 young Canadian teams have all aged out of juniors.

NMURA
06-27-2011, 01:53 PM

It can't be helped. Only two pairs outside of the worlds top 12 got 2 spots - Zhangs and I/M. Not many foreign spectators are interested in the Canadian No.3 or 4 team.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
But really the biggest news are : Hurtado/Diaz got a GP! :cheer2:

Proustable
06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
NMURA, so why are they interested in the number 5 or 6 or 7 Canadian team?

Zemgirl
06-27-2011, 01:59 PM
It can't be helped. Only two pairs outside of the worlds top 12 got 2 spots - Zhangs and I/M. Not many foreign spectators are interested in the Canadian No.3 or 4 team.
I can't imagine those same spectators are more interested in just out of juniors Canadian teams.* Skate Canada really should have made sure L/S get a foreign assignment in addition to SC - surely there was no need to spread the assignments between so many Canadian pairs?

* Proustable beat me to it...

But really the biggest news are : Hurtado/Diaz got a GP! :cheer2:
I kind of agree.. love them! I hope they'll have a :kickass: season.

NMURA
06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
NMURA, so why are they interested in the number 5 or 6 or 7 Canadian team?

Not many foreign spectators are interested in any one of them. But the host federations will welcome weaker teams in their skaters' interests.

Lara
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I've just realized that SC is in Missiauga (or however you spell it). My aunt and uncle live there. Nagasu, Tuktamysheva, Iliuschekina/Maisuradze, Volosozhar & Trankov, Weaver/Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat. Hmmmm. Just got my green card and I don't live that far from the border....:shuffle:

(that is, if the border patrol lets me in after the bashing I've done of some Canadian skaters :drama:)

I have a friend in Mississauga. After seeing the entry list, I think it's time I paid a visit. ;) Just wish I knew what the heck I'll be doing then, arrgh.