PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58

kwanfan1818
10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
1. Is there time to replace them? IIRC there are two nearby teams at the top of the sub list. Lichtman/Copely or K/G-S might still be able to get there?
From the GP Announcement:

At the seven day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.
Lichtman/Copely are highest on the substitutes list. There is only one other US couple scheduled for SC. Visas are not an issue for them. There should be no unduly high travel costs to SC; however, they are scheduled for CoC the week after, and it might be too expensive for the Chinese Fed to get them to Shanghai from Toronto, if they've already made travel arrangements for them.

That's everyone from the top 24 SB. If they go to top 24 WS, then Zahorski/Miart (no visa issues, many flights from Paris to Toronto, not sure about Lyons) are next, if they're ready, then Coomes/Buckland, followed by Yu/Wang, both of whom are also scheduled for CoC. After that are Ralph/Hill, but there are already three Canadian teams at SC.

If they go to top 75, then it's a choice of:
Kriengkrairut/Guilietti-Schmitt (NHK, no visa issues, no unduly expensive travel)
Zahorski/Miart (see above)
Gorshkova/Butikov (TEB, not sure about visas, maybe expensive travel, but it's hub to hub).

2. Will this mean P/B also have to withdraw from TEB? (Wasn't there some rule which didn't allow those with 3 assignments to withdraw from just one of them?)
No, there's a rule that deducts 20% of their winnings if they withdraw, the way the text is written, from the last of three for any reason. It isn't clear this would apply to P/B, because they withdrew from their second (for obvious illness with an ISU doctor on site at SA). If he's still not well for TEB, it isn't clear that it would apply at all.

julieann
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
No, there's a rule that deducts 20% of their winnings if they withdraw, the way the text is written, from the last of three for any reason. It isn't clear this would apply to P/B, because they withdrew from their second (for obvious illness with an ISU doctor on site at SA). If he's still not well for TEB, it isn't clear that it would apply at all.

20% of their total winnings from SA and TEB? Sorry, I just don't understand how the money works.

Skittl1321
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I really hope P/B are not penalized for withdrawing. It is very clearly a valid reason. He came off the ice at SA with blue lips, my immediate thought was that he needed to recieve oxygen, not wait for scores!

I can completly understand them not wanting to do SC, even if they were able to skate fairly well at SA- he must have been miserable, and continuing high level competition this sick just puts his long term health at risk.

kwanfan1818
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
20% of their total winnings from SA and TEB? Sorry, I just don't understand how the money works.
Yes, if 1. They compete at TEB and 2. If it actually applies to withdrawing from the second (or first) event, since the announcement says 1. Penalty for withdrawing from the third event and 2. 20% deducted from winnings from the first two.

Jayar
10-27-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm fairly certain that they will receive an exemption from penalties. The doctors at SA were keeping tabs on him, and ultimately they withdrew from the Exhibition because he was so ill. I think the penalties are in place to keep people from staying home for lesser reasons.

Jeschke
10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I really hope that one of the American teams will be able to get there in time. :(

i hope so too and please let it be kriengkairut/giuleti-schmitt :)

casken
10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
So I'm guessing there will be no replacement for P&B. The draw is out and only 7 teams. :(

Jeschke
10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
So I'm guessing there will be no replacement for P&B. The draw is out and only 7 teams. :(

that is so :mad:

Ziggy
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Did the ISU scrap the minimum score requirement regarding host picks?

Because both Balde and Desanctis have been drawn for Skate Canada.

kwanfan1818
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I think the ISU put out that piece of crap document that has so many discrepancies, omissions, and contradictions, so that they could do whatever they wanted.

There are two possibilities: either they interpret a "TBD" as an original choice, and that any skater assigned to a TBD is, by definition, a replacement, and not subject to the minimum score and/or top 75 rule, or they are just blowing off their own rules.

Ziggy
10-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I think the ISU put out that piece of crap document that has so many discrepancies, omissions, and contradictions, so that they could do whatever they wanted.

:rofl:

Well, in fact it's extremely sad and not funny.

To think that the federation responsible for governing our sport is run like it's some kind of joke...

emason
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Isn't there some old joke about an elephant being a horse designed by a committee? That's basically what the ISU document is.

SamuraiK
10-28-2011, 01:40 AM

There are two possibilities: either they interpret a "TBD" as an original choice, and that any skater assigned to a TBD is, by definition, a replacement, and not subject to the minimum score and/or top 75 rule, or they are just blowing off their own rules.

Honestly, the rule of applying the minimun score to the Host Picks should have never been made in the first place.
But yeah, I think this is another classic moment of ISU silently saying "oops we didn't think well about that possibility (host skaters not being able to reach the minimun), so we'll ignore it from now on":lol:

haribobo
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Hmm, I'd imagine the chances that Joubert or Guan at CoC would be replaced are pretty slim eh? Too bad for Murakami and/or Machida that they didnt pull out a few days sooner...

Schultheiss and Messing are also high on the alt. list but just finished competing at Cup of Nice (where Adrian withdrew) so they wouldn't have been available anyway.

ETA: Anyone know who is next in line after the CHN and JPN guys and Messing and Schultheiss?

haribobo
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
With Schultheiss out of NHK, the next in line for replacements that could go (there's already 3 JPN men assigned) are Jialiang Wu, Keegan Messing, and Max Aaron. Or the spot could be left blank again. :o