PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

HisWeirness
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Plushenko was added back to the WR list after his reinstatement, but he's in 33rd. According to the headers, only ISU World Championships and Olympic Winter Games count, but that must be a typo, since the totals do include Euros and 4C's, but only one ISU championship score or Olympics score (ex: Abbott's 680 championship points in 2010/11 for his 4C's bronze).
Yeah, that is a typo. What it should say is "ISU Championships and Olympic Winter Games." Communication 1629 (http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1949) states the following:

Within the preceding two seasons and the current season the following events will be considered for the ISU World Standings order, season’s factors as per C.1. to be considered:

2.3.1 ISU Championships and Olympic Winter Games: The best result by points per season; the best two results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed seasons plus the current season;

haribobo
07-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Based on kwanfan's lists, at this point, the top 6 subs aside from comeback skaters would be:

MEN
1. Kevin Van der Perren
2. Armin Mahbanoozadeh
3. Denis Ten
4. Alban Preaubert
5. Peter Liebers
6. Alexander Majorov

LADIES
1. Viktoria Helgesson
2. Joshi Helgesson
3. Sofia Biryukova
4. Ira Vannut (unless JGP)
5. Mae Berenice Meite
6. Min Jung Kwak

PAIRS
1. Sui/Han
2. Lawrence/Swiegers
3. Gerboldt/Enbert
4. Castelli/Shnapir
5. Stolbova/Klimov
6. Zhang/Wang
(Dube/Wolfe and Denney/Coughlin as comeback skaters)

DANCE (status of Faiella/Scali?)
1. Hoffman/Zavozin
2. Paul/Islam
3. Pushkash/Guerreiro
4. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
5. Lichtman/Copely
6. Reed/Reed
(Gilles/Poirer and Chock/Bates as comeback skaters)

euterpe
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Based on kwanfan's lists, at this point, the top 6 subs aside from comeback skaters would be:

DANCE (status of Faiella/Scali?)
1. Hoffman/Zavozin
2. Paul/Islam
3. Pushkash/Guerreiro
4. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
5. Lichtman/Copely
6. Reed/Reed
(Gilles/Poirer and Chock/Bates as comeback skaters)

Gilles/Poirier will not compete internationally until next season.

flowerpower
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
^^

Thanks for the list! Just to note though, Gilles apparently won't be released for another year, so Gilles/Poirier won't be able to skate internationally until 2012-2013.

ETA: Whoops, euterpe beat me to it.

kwanfan1818
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
There's a provision that all top 24 SB and WR teams must get a second before anyone else (presumably below them) gets anything, but there's nothing about come-back skaters (who don't use their one-time guarantee for two) or split team skaters.

Does that mean that split couples go back to the top of the list to get a second spot, and then the top 24 SB/WR with one get a second spot, and then they go to the top 75/winners of senior B's list? Or that they get one each, then the top 24 SB/WR get a second, and the split teams are in the groups of three that are selected by the feds?

npavel
07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Ice Dance
[INDENT]Faiella/Scali -- were their names even submitted in time?

They aren't listed on the Italian team either
http://www.fisg.it/public/5/news/danza%20squadra%20nazionale%202011-2012%20approvata%20cf%201%20luglio%202011.pdf

kwanfan1818
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Sigh. I think it's sad that F/S changed their minds about coming back...

I also missed that Alban Preaubert is #14 on the WR list, which means he is #2 on the substitutes list above Mahbanoozadeh and Ten, which should mean Liebers' SA spot.

Another think I noticed when looking up the revised WR which added Plushenko back in is that Shawn Sawyer was removed from the list, and Nan Song is now #24. That wasn't in time for the initial GP selection, but, going forward, when determining alternates:

Will the ISU use a snapshot in time of the WR to determine who is in the top 24, i.e., the list used for the initial ISU selection? Will they use the snapshot in time before the seniors B's start, i.e., before anyone has a chance to earn more points, but where Nan Song would be #24 and #6 on the alternates list (after Majorov, with Liebers removed), entitled to a second invitation before the top 75/winners of senior B's? A snapshot in time just before the GP's start, which could bump up participants in the top 75 list and drop down skaters in the original top 24? A snapshot in time at the time of substitution, which could mean not only the six senior B's before the GP, but the GP's themselves and other senior B's?

Obviously they're not going to rescind an invitation because a skater is no longer in the top 24, but there could be movement, based on the fall results, if they use a snapshot of WR at the time of substitution.

For example, among the men, the points cut-off for #24 is Mroz @1395 under the original WR, and #24 Song @ 1341 now. There are four active senior skaters who could overtake Song at a fall senior B, if he doesn't compete at a Senior B: Kovalevski, if he hasn't actually retired @1302, would need a 1-5 finish -- and he has no assignments now, and would be entitled to a chance for two if he moved into top 24 -- Machida @1291 (needs 1-5), Menshov @1138 (1-3, with 3rd being a tie with Song), and Rakimgaliev @ 1111 (needs win).

There's already going to be a spot at Skate America, due to Liebers' injury. Van der Perren is already doing SA, and Preaubert would get the spot at this point in time, as neither Ten nor Mahbanoozadeh can pass him mathematically on the WR list, and if they go SB score, then World Ranking, Mahbanoozadeh would need two good showings at two fall senior B's to get into the top 24, which is not the way USFS usually spends their money and assignments. USFS can always assign him to the TBD spot at SA.

Ten could get into the top 24 WR after SC with a podium finish; a 4th place finish would tied him with Song in #24, all depending on who competes in senior B's.

kwanfan1818
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Ok I don't see Faiella / Scali there :( Please make it a mistake !

An Icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22378098&vkey=ice_news) posted by Sylvia (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3247870&postcount=1) on the new Madison Hubbell/Zach Donahue pairing on confirms that he's back to Plan A and coaching with Krylova, Camarlengo, Punsalen, and Annenko-Deller in Detroit; the quote is from Madison Hubbell:

"Massimo is very good to work with because he was just [competing] last season, he's done all the things you need to with the [judging] rules. He's great at being the guy and the girl in the situation; he can skate with me and be very strong and be the leader, and he can then go skate with Zach and show me exactly what I'm supposed to do."

aemeraldrainc
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
An Icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22378098&vkey=ice_news) posted by Sylvia (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3247870&postcount=1) on the new Madison Hubbell/Zach Donahue pairing on confirms that he's back to Plan A and coaching with Krylova, Camarlengo, Punsalen, and Annenko-Deller in Detroit; the quote is from Madison Hubbell:

So does that mean they are retiring for sure after all?
I guess so if he went to Plan A, huh?

kwanfan1818
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Faiella is in Italy -- she started to work for the police department -- so they're at least taking a break.

Ziggy
07-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Faiella is in Italy -- she started to work for the police department -- so they're at least taking a break.

??!

What does she do exactly for the police?

Shame that she didn't stay involved in skating.

kwanfan1818
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I can't find the post where it was written, but I did ask whether she was in administration or was a cop, but I didn't see an answer.

Vagabond
07-29-2011, 10:23 PM
According to a June 13, 2011 blog post on Faiella & Scali's website, she is recuperating from the injury suffered before Easter, they are still planning to skate again, and the International Figure Skating Magazine article that came out after they announced that they were not retiring was written before they had made that decision and is therefore old news. I suspect that her need to recuperate is what is keeping them from competing on the Grand Prix.

http://www.faiellascali.com/eng/MenuNewENG.html

I find it interesting that both Federica Faiella and Christopher Dean have worked at some point in their lives as police officers. I wonder if any other famous ice dancers have done so too.

Cherub721
08-01-2011, 12:22 AM
??!

What does she do exactly for the police?

Shame that she didn't stay involved in skating.

I guess it's not uncommon for Italian skaters to hold regular jobs. Zanforlin & Degli Esposito worked while they competed and I remember reading how they struggled to find training time and had to use their vacation days to do competitions. Does Italy have the option for athletes to get funding through army service? Wasn't Margaglio in the army?

pingu
08-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I guess it's not uncommon for Italian skaters to hold regular jobs. Zanforlin & Degli Esposito worked while they competed and I remember reading how they struggled to find training time and had to use their vacation days to do competitions. Does Italy have the option for athletes to get funding through army service? Wasn't Margaglio in the army?

It is quite commont for italian athletes to be in the police services as they get a wage every month and in this way can more easily pay the sport expenses.
Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte are carabinieri IIRC, and Carolina Kostner is a penitentiary policewoman.