PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

stjeaskategym
07-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Regarding all the concerns that Sui-Han got only 1 GP assignment.

I heard that they could get 2 but the CHN Federation wanted only one Senior GP for them as they also plan to participate in Junior GP.

Even if they skate Jr again, that won't stop them from competing twice on the Sr GP, just as they did last season. So I can't see why they would only want one Sr assignment.

I'm not surprised they would skate Jr again because it gives them additional chances (and better chances) to win medals/prize money. I mean, they didn't "make" Cong Han over 3 years younger for nothing. :rolleyes: Also, the lack of depth in Chinese pairs may make them reluctant to take S/H off the Jr circuit. If Takahashi/Tran hadn't aged out, I would have expected them to keep competing in Jr as well. At this point, I would prefer that the ISU requires pairs to choose between Jr or Sr, but until then, countries without depth may try to have pairs doing both.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Well, that's debatable.

If we're talking about results and achievements, it really isn't.

millipied
07-02-2011, 01:59 AM
If we're talking about results and achievements, it really isn't.

If we were talking about results and achievements, a lot of talent would be lost AND many "one hit wonders" would prosper.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 02:17 AM
If we were talking about results and achievements, a lot of talent would be lost AND many "one hit wonders" would prosper.

Okay...I agree. What does that have to do with S/H being more talented than T/T and S/K?

millipied
07-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Okay...I agree. What does that have to do with S/H being more talented than T/T and S/K?

That they are not. all three teams beat each other repeteadly and while one team is a "one tricky pony", others show more talent all around.

oleada
07-02-2011, 02:22 AM
A team has a right to decide how to move with their careers, yes, but this is a figure skating forum...where we discuss skating. And skaters.

I think it shows lack of forward thinking from the CHN federation to send S/H to the JGP again. Also, its sandbagging, plain and simple. S/H have shown they can compete with the seniors; why sink down a level? It's not beneficial to them. China is also keeping spots in the JGP from its own teams, who could use them while S/H compete as seniors.

Regarding S/H vs S/K and T/T, I think there are elements and things the latter two teams are superior at, but sadly never got credit for. I really thought S/K should have won the LP at junior worlds, at least.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 02:26 AM
That they are not. all three teams beat each other repeteadly and while one team is a "one tricky pony", others show more talent all around.

S/H definitely are not a one trick pony, if that's what you're referring to! Their twist and their throws are huge, their lifts are effortless, and their speed is impressive. Sure, they could use work in the skating skills, choreography, maturity department, but she is is so young (and possibly younger than we think!).

Looking back at results from the JGP, it seems that S/K only beat S/H once, and T/T have never beaten S/H in more than a single segment.

millipied
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM
S/H definitely are not a one trick pony, if that's what you're referring to! Their twist and their throws are huge, their lifts are effortless, and their speed is impressive. Sure, they could use work in the skating skills, choreography, maturity department, but she is is so young (and possibly younger than we think!).

Looking back at results from the JGP, it seems that S/K only beat S/H once, have never beaten S/H in more than a single segment.

Not once.
As for huge twists and throws, you just stated yourself the questionability of those achievements as one of the partners may have doctored her age. Hence, I have to question who is more talented, a cheat or someone who plays by rules.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Keep in mind that there a lot of documents out there, and nothing has been proven.

millipied
07-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Keep in mind that there a lot of documents out there, and nothing has been proven.

Well, I am quoting you.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Well, I am quoting you.

I alluded to the fact that Wenjing Sui might be younger than what the ISU documentation states, but nothing is set in stone.

millipied
07-02-2011, 03:03 AM
I alluded to the fact that Wenjing Sui might be younger than what the ISU documentation states, but nothing is set in stone.

So am I alluding, if you read carefully.

Jenna
07-02-2011, 03:04 AM
So am I alluding, if you read carefully.

Well, you referred to her as "a cheat" outright, Sounds like more of an accusation to me, but I'm not going to get into semantics.

millipied
07-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Well, you referred to her as "a cheat" outright, Sounds like more of an accusation to me, but I'm not going to get into semantics.

In the context of what I wrote, yes. Semantics are important.

kwanfan1818
07-02-2011, 03:19 AM
I've always been surprised that the ISU allows repeat champions in Juniors.