PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

millipied
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Waiting for what? Why didn't the Russian Fed just outright assign them to CoR?

waiting to be assigned to other events according to ISU substitution rules. In that case COR could be used for someone else.

taz'smum
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Waiting for what? Why didn't the Russian Fed just outright assign them to CoR?

It's called politics. If they assign them to COR, then they will be seen as having a GP and will be removed from the substitute list.
By waiting until they are assigned a GP in their own right elsewhere, the Russian Fed can then assign them COR and hey presto, they have 2 GP's.

NMURA
07-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't think it's anything political. Russian fed just don't have much expectation on an elder team, threfore no need for special considerations.

millipied
07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't think it's anything political. Russian fed just don't have much expectation on an elder team, threfore no need for special considerations.

:confused::confused:

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
It's called politics. If they assign them to COR, then they will be seen as having a GP and will be removed from the substitute list.

That's just good strategy, if that's how the alternates list will work, i.e., go to the first team with no events. That would undermine the ISU's argument that they want the best competition in any given event, in which case the alternates would be the team with the highest SB that hasn't maxed out with two or three assignments.

euterpe
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
By waiting until they are assigned a GP in their own right elsewhere, the Russian Fed can then assign them COR and hey presto, they have 2 GP's.

Khokhlova / Andreev did 3 Senior Bs last season, finishing 2nd, 2nd and 5th and are #50 on the ISU World Ranking, but are not on the Season Best list because they did not skate in a GP or an ISU championship last season. If the SB list is the source for the substitute list, then K/A won't be on it.

SamuraiK
07-01-2011, 07:09 PM
With these new changes I think is a Must that Senior B Scores be included in the Season Best list.

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Maybe they'll publish it with the GP announcement in July, as a separate list for tracking the alternates list. (I thought in the past I saw Nebelhorn in the Season's Best lists, but not other international competitions that don't earn WR points but can be used for SBs.)

I hope they also publish minimum score lists in their statistics.

Ziggy
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Scores from Senior Bs will have to count if they will go by SBs because otherwise, there would be no way of earning SBs in the current season.

SamuraiK
07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Maybe they'll publish it with the GP announcement in July, as a separate list for tracking the alternates list. (I thought in the past I saw Nebelhorn in the Season's Best lists, but not other international competitions that don't earn WR points but can be used for SBs.)

I hope they also publish minimum score lists in their statistics.

The only year Nebelhorn counted for the SB list was in 09-10 when it served as the olympic qualifier.

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 08:00 PM
The only year Nebelhorn counted for the SB list was in 09-10 when it served as the olympic qualifier.
Oh, yes, I had forgotten that. Thank you!

As Ziggy said, they've got to have a list including international competition SB's for the alternates list, or why bother? (To rank everyone with one invitation or host slot already?) I'm curious to see whether they include only this season's international competition SB's along with GP/championships scores from last season, or whether they'll allow last year's international B scores to count as well. If the former, K/A will have to compete this season to establish a SB for the alternates list. If the latter, then their scores from last season

Are all international competitions on the ISU list for minimum score qualification considered Senior B's? Or are Senior B's only those that count towards WR points? For example, competitions with regional (ex: Nordics) or educational (ex: Universiade) restrictions don't count toward WR points, but they do count for minimum scores. It isn't clear yet whether they count towards SB for the alternates list. (Theoretically, they should, because a score is supposed to be a score is supposed to be a score, and the ISU is sticking to that.)

Ziggy
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
So many questions!

They really have an opportunity to do it right and reform the GP to be based on really choosing the best skaters. Let's hope they do it!

And I think that competitions that count towards WR should also count towards SBs and PBs, not just for GP alternate list purposes, but in general.

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Some Senior B scores can appear to be inflated, however, when compared to the Season Best scores approved by the ISU. Check out, for example, the 2010 Coupe de Nice scores, for example, in this thread in the Trash Can (I stopped posting the SB score lists that included Senior B scores in December 2010): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75343

Ziggy
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah but maybe ISU could address that somehow.

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah but maybe ISU could address that somehow.
Such as having a select number of "approved" Senior B competitions with technical panels and judges on par with the standard of the Senior Grand Prix?