PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Tammi
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Would they really go there?

It'd just be so easy...If a team has to get ready in a hurry, then at least only one person would have to learn the choreography. Time is really not on their side if they want to get going for this season. I think under the rules, they have to compete somewhere before they can get an int'l assignment. Lake Placid is 26 days away and after that, I believe there is Skate San Francisco the last weekend of August. Don't know if that's too late for a Nebelhorn or Finlandia assignment.

Jenna
06-29-2011, 04:57 PM
If a team has to get ready in a hurry, then at least only one person would have to learn the choreography. Time is really not on their side if they want to get going for this season. I think under the rules, they have to compete somewhere before they can get an int'l assignment. Lake Placid is 26 days away and after that, I believe there is Skate San Francisco the last weekend of August. Don't know if that's too late for a Nebelhorn or Finlandia assignment.

Yes, you're right. If they have any intentions to compete on the GP, they need to get a "Senior B" assignment quickly to get a Season's Best score. I'm sure USFS will take care of them.

Alas, Lynn and Logan's chances for the world team are not as bright as originally expected; they will really have to work to get that bronze. I think it's going to be very close between K/G-S and C/B.

kwanfan1818
06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I can't find a GP Announcement for this year under ISU communications or Press Releases or posted to the GP page, where I think it appeared in the past.

If the rules are the same as last year, if C/B do well at a Senior B, each one of them would qualify to be on the alternates list for GP under the following clause

Pairs or Dance couples, who were placed amongst the ranks as previously mentioned in criteria a) and b) in the year 2008/09 or 2009/10 , but have split, will be considered in the alternate list with the new partner, if proof is given that they intend to continue the competitive career.

* one and two seasons ago

Criteria "a" is having placed 7-12, which Chock did last season with Zuerlein and Bates did two seasons ago with Samuelson, each placing 9th with the former partner.

Sylvia
06-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I can't find a GP Announcement for this year under ISU communications or Press Releases or posted to the GP page, where I think it appeared in the past.
That's because the 2011-12 GP Announcement hasn't been published online yet.
From: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4844-128590-19728-18885-313979-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

This season, in order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum score must be achieved. Detailed information on the minimum score will be published in the Grand Prix general announcement in mid July.

haribobo
06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
If the alternate list is decided by 10-11 seasons best scores, it would look like the following...

MEN
1. Kevin Van Der Perren
2. Denis Ten
3. Alban Preaubert
4. Peter Liebers
5. Daisuke Murakami
6. Konstantin Menshov
7. Jinlin Guan

LADIES
Yasmin Siraj, Vanessa Lam, and Risa Shoji all JGP?
1. Sofia Biryukova
Polina Shelepen JGP?
2. Viktoria Helgesson
Ira Vannut JGP?
3. Mae Berenice Meite
4. Joshi Helgesson

PAIRS
1. Sui/Han
2. Lawrence/Swiegers
3. Gerboldt/Enbert
4. Castelli/Shnapir
5. Stolbova/Klimov
6. Zhang/Wang

DANCE
1. Hoffman/Zavozin
2. Paul/Islam
3. Pushkash/Guerriero
4. Mysliveckova/Novak (if together)
5. Lichtman/Copely
6. Reed/Reed

YukiNieve
06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Does a minimum score mean season best, or personal best?

Sylvia
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
haribobo, I think all of the skaters/teams you've listed already received 1 GP assignment in the initial selection round? (except for the JGP age-eligible ladies on your list) Who are the ones next in line in each discipline that currently don't have a GP assignment? (as I don't have time right now to compile a list myself. ;))

Jammers
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
I just hope we see a more mature Mirai who doesn't let the pressure get to her. She can beat all these ladies especially since both Kim and Ando will not be skating in the GP. It's hers for the taking. She has beaten all the other ladies at least once. As for the Russian babies for all we know they could have had a growth spurt over the summer then what?

kwanfan1818
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Does a minimum score mean season best, or personal best?
Neither -- it means that the team has met the minimum score requirements at least once. Last year it was possible to meet the minimum score for the SP/SD and FS/FD in different competitions, but we won't know if that applies to this season until the GP announcement comes out.

Given how much the minimum scores have been raised from last year, based on info leaked for the last three months, it could be very tough to meet the new requirements in one competition for a lot of skaters on the cusp.

kwanfan1818
06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
If the alternate list is decided by 10-11 seasons best scores, it would look like the following...

Word is that it will be based on the current season's World Ranking -- i.e., only from competitions in the 2011-12 season. (The GP announcement in July should clear it up).

If done that way, then unless the skaters with one GP assignment already compete in senior B's before the GP season, the first substitute list will consist of teams with no GP assignment who've met the minimum score requirements through the senior Bs.

Once the GP season starts, skaters with one GP will have ranking points from the first GP.

For example, unless Nan Song gets the TBD from CHN, without competing in a senior B, he won't have season's ranking points until after TEB, and by then it would be too late to be a substitute for RUS.

YukiNieve
06-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Kwanfan!

Let me rephrase then - what will become "your score" to be compared with the minimum score? Is that your SB, personal best, or something else, and is that only based on TES or TES+PCS?

Sylvia
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Refer to my post above that quotes from the ISU site as follows:

This season, in order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum score must be achieved. Detailed information on the minimum score will be published in the Grand Prix general announcement in mid July.

YukiNieve
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Sylvia!

So we actually do not know what it is yet.

(And we have been discussing something we do not even know for sure?
Oh yes - this is the discussion board! :D )

kwanfan1818
06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks, Kwanfan!

Let me rephrase then - what will become "your score" to be compared with the minimum score? Is that your SB, personal best, or something else, and is that only based on TES or TES+PCS?
A skater could qualify through a SB or a PB (at one of the qualifying competition; nationals, for example, don't count), but that is coincidental. The skater just needs one score of the minimum or higher for each program, and it may be possible to qualify for the SP/SD minimum at one competition and the FS/FD minimum at another. (We'll know in July.)

Word so far has been only TES, and 2/3 of the TES for the highest scoring SP/SD and the highest scoring FS/FD of last season. That could mean scores posted by different skaters. For example, I think Patrick Chan's SP TES at Worlds was the highest TES for Men last season, but Takahiko Kozuka's FS TES at Worlds (higher than Chan's) was the highest TES for Men last season. Kozuka's FS TES was 98.53 at Worlds, which would make the minimum score for a FS ~ 66 points. Chan's SP TES was 51.48, which would make the minimum score for a SP ~35.

A skater/team qualifies when he/she/it earns TES of at least the minimum at one of the approved competitions last season, or in one of the approved competitions in ISU Communication 1676 during the 2011-12 season. (For GP at least, it would be almost impossible for every skater with a GP assignment to compete before GP to post a minimum score.) Any man, for, example, who scores TES 35 and over for a SP and 66 and over for a FS once has met the criteria.

YukiNieve
06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi, Kwanfan:

Thanks! That is very informative!