PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

julieann
06-29-2011, 12:26 AM
The cut-off point would be the number of spots available on the GP circuit.

So 8 in pairs then per competition.

I'm not sure why some people think skaters (i.e S/H) are not being treated fair. Maybe the federations are to blame.

MacMadame
06-29-2011, 12:57 AM
The spreadsheet can be treated as an authorized admission by the Chinese Federation acting on behalf of Sui Wenjing. At this point, any birth certificate Sui and the Chinese Federation come up with might not be admissible evidence, given questions about authenticity.
Not by any competent court of law. A birth certificate is issued by the *government*, not the Chinese Federation. It is a legal document and has to be accepted by the courts unless it can be proven to be a forgery.

And, even if it proven to be a forgery, no court of law is going to accept a spreadsheet instead. There is no way to prove the spreadsheet is accurate. They'll just write to the government for a new certificate and have it delivered to the directly to an officer of the court.

Jenna
06-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Didn't know where to put this but I guess it might be relevant here..

I spotted Pang and Tong today at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ. I was pretty surprised. Does anyone know why they're in NJ?

I also saw Florent Amodio and Elene Gedevanishvili, who is a regular there (she's back to being a brunette!)

sk9tingfan
06-29-2011, 01:13 AM
I also saw Florent Amodio and Elene Gedevanishvili, who is a regular there (she's back to being a brunette!)

Re:Elene, going from almost black hair to platinum blonde is so difficult to maintain. I could never get used to her as one.

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure why some people think skaters (i.e S/H) are not being treated fair. Maybe the federations are to blame.

I don't think they aren't being treated fair.

I think the problem is there's only 8 spots per event AND best teams are allowed 3 events, which means some good skaters either don't get a chance to compete or get only one spot.

I think that the option to do 3 events shouldn't be there and there should be 10 spots in Pairs and 12 for Singles.

The low level skating at last GP was due to:
- federations inviting "convenient" skaters and not best available
- unclear substitution rules meaning last minutes replacements were usually impossible because of visa issues

Those two problems should be sorted now, with the new rules. So no reason to also reduce the number of spots and introduce minimum score.

I spotted Pang and Tong today at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ. I was pretty surprised. Does anyone know why they're in NJ?

Morozov is spending the Summer in Hackensack. And all the skaters you mentioned work with him so I'm pretty sure they are all there to get new programs choreographed by him.

And I'm glad to hear Elene is a brunette. :)

Did you get to see them practice?

luCN
06-29-2011, 02:06 AM

Morozov will choreograph PT's new SP

t.mann
06-29-2011, 02:51 AM
I just hope the Lovely Laura is healthy. Between she and Alissa, the sheer volume of elegance will overpower all those in the arena.

yes!

icellist
06-29-2011, 03:12 AM
does anybody know when the alternates list will be up?

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 03:36 AM
does anybody know when the alternates list will be up?

When the season starts, I think.

It should get updated after each event.

t.mann
06-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Evan is a brave man. :respec:

I am excited to see soon whether or not Adelina will become a GPF champion.
If she becomes a champion, she is the 4th skater who wins GPF in the senior debut year?
Tara(1996), Mao(2005), Yuna(2006), Adelina(2011)? :)

Jenna
06-29-2011, 03:44 AM
Morozov is spending the Summer in Hackensack. And all the skaters you mentioned work with him so I'm pretty sure they are all there to get new programs choreographed by him.

And I'm glad to hear Elene is a brunette. :)

Did you get to see them practice?

Morozov will choreograph PT's new SP

Thank you both for the info.! Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them practice, but I'm there quite regularly during the summer months so maybe I will in the future!

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 04:34 AM
I am excited to see soon whether or not Adelina will become a GPF champion.
If she becomes a champion, she is the 4th skater who wins GPF in the senior debut year?
Tara(1996), Mao(2005), Yuna(2006), Adelina(2011)? :)

Both Adelina and Liza can definitely do it.

It will be interesting to see how their PCS will compare to other Senior ladies.

Even if they will be much lower (and at this stage, they should be), they probably can make up for that difference by outjumping everyone.

Coco
06-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Well, now that alternates have to be off the list instead of the most affordable for the host federation, I bet the federations wanted the # of competitors cut to limit their expenses.

Jenna
06-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Both Adelina and Liza can definitely do it.

It will be interesting to see how their PCS will compare to other Senior ladies.

Even if they will be much lower (and at this stage, they should be), they probably can make up for that difference by outjumping everyone.

I'm very curious to see how both of them match up to Mirai Nagasu. If Nagasu skates clean against both Liza and Adelina, which is sort of unlikely given how early it is in the season, she should easily beat them. But, Mirai is prone to having subpar performances on the grand prix circuit, especially in the free skate. It's very possible that Liza and/or Adelina can beat her.

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 04:51 AM
Well, now that alternates have to be off the list instead of the most affordable for the host federation, I bet the federations wanted the # of competitors cut to limit their expenses.

But skaters pay their own travel costs, don't they?

All that the organiser provides is accommodation, I think.

I'm very curious to see how both of them match up to Mirai Nagasu. If Nagasu skates clean against both Liza and Adelina, which is sort of unlikely given how early it is in the season, she should easily beat them. But, Mirai is prone to having subpar performances on the grand prix circuit, especially in the free skate. It's very possible that Liza and/or Adelina can beat her.

I think I'd give a clean Mirai the edge on the overall quality of skating and elements. But she's inconsistent and prone to UR.

Even without Ando and Kim, Ladies are going to be super exciting. :)