PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Requiring a minimum score along with new alternate rules would be enough to guarantee that top skaters compete at the GP, there was no reason to further reduce the number of spots. :(

hoptoad
06-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Requiring a minimum score along with new alternate rules would be enough to guarantee that top skaters compete at the GP, there was no reason to further reduce the number of spots. :(
1000 X agree.

I hope the alternate process is truly fixed in a way that allows alternates to get visas and make it to a competition at the last moment. I hatehatehate it when spots go unfilled. And even more this year.

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
1000 X agree.

I hope the alternate process is truly fixed in a way that allows alternates to get visas and make it to a competition at the last moment. I hatehatehate it when spots go unfilled. And even more this year.

Well the ISU can make the alternate system more fair but the visa problem is going to remain. :/

hoptoad
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's always going to be an issue, but if the alternates KNOW they're the alternates, at least they can choose to be ready just in case.

MarieM
06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Ok I don't see Faiella / Scali there :( Please make it a mistake !

~tapdancer~
06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
In pairs I'm looking forward to E/L, V/T, and hoping that Marley/Bru and Law/Sweig get two spots eventually. Most excited for dance as usual!

flowerpower
06-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Absolutely, and can you imagine how much worse the situation would be if it weren't for of all the unfortunate dance and pairs splits? If Samuelson/Bates, Crone/Poirier, Chock/Zuerlein, Dube/Davison, Coughlin/Yankowskas, etc. all had to be fit into the mix as well.....

sk9tingfan
06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I wasn't planning to go to Skate Canada this year, but after seeing the entry lists, I think I'll try very hard to make it.

Just made my plane reservations. :)

Vagabond
06-28-2011, 03:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Sui & Han are among the subjects of a pending ISU investigation for Rules violations and could be banned for a year if it transpires that she didn't meet the age criteria to skate on the Grand Prix. The possibility that this pair will be banned by the time this year's Grand Prix comes around might have been the factor that dissuaded the selectors from giving them a second berth.

Just a thought....

kwanfan1818
06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Maybe I/M have been treated as the last 2 spots guaranteed team, not S/H. Their SB are close, and as long as there is no stated rule that replacements are done automatically in order of SB, the ISU sports directorate can execute some discretion.
There was only one spot open for a "guaranteed" top six team, to replace Y/C, since the top five teams intend to compete. Technically, I/M and S/H could have gotten no spots, even though I/M and S/H had higher SBs than #8-#13 at Worlds, all of whom were guaranteed two spots after Y/C were replaced. (D/R were 7th before moving into the seeded spot.)

The ISU directorate sets the rules for selection, but the host Federations are the ones making the selections, based on their own strategies.

This.

Bookslut
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
When do the envelopes for the USFSA get announced? How about the skaters for the Junior Grand Prix events? Does anyone have an idea?

oleada
06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
When do the envelopes for the USFSA get announced? How about the skaters for the Junior Grand Prix events? Does anyone have an idea?

JGP event rosters are typically announced a month or 4 weeks before the event takes place.

(btw - I love your username :lol:)

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's always going to be an issue, but if the alternates KNOW they're the alternates, at least they can choose to be ready just in case.

Yeah, since the alternate list is going to be up on the ISU website and updated regularly, the people who are on top will hopefully have enough time to secure visas just in case.

Absolutely, and can you imagine how much worse the situation would be if it weren't for of all the unfortunate dance and pairs splits? If Samuelson/Bates, Crone/Poirier, Chock/Zuerlein, Dube/Davison, Coughlin/Yankowskas, etc. all had to be fit into the mix as well.....

Sui/Han would have no spots then... :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, Sui & Han are among the subjects of a pending ISU investigation for Rules violations and could be banned for a year if it transpires that she didn't meet the age criteria to skate on the Grand Prix. The possibility that this pair will be banned by the time this year's Grand Prix comes around might have been the factor that dissuaded the selectors from giving them a second berth.

Just a thought....

That is not a factor in the selection.

Not having been at Worlds (and in top 12 there) means it's almost impossible to get 2 spots.

I am happy this investigation is taking place, though. But I can't see how it could possibly succeed. I mean if the Chinese government is in on this, they can just provide a falsified birth certificate.

Sylvia
06-28-2011, 09:37 PM
When do the envelopes for the USFSA get announced?
The A-C envelopes were announced on June 2 -- link to the thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77487

There's a general discussion thread for 2011-12 U.S. JGP assignments/predictions in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77233

ETA link to the 2011-12 JGP info/discussion (all countries) thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78782

Vagabond
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
That is not a factor in the selection.

How do you know? Is there some published listed of criteria the host federations are prohibited from considering?

I am happy this investigation is taking place, though. But I can't see how it could possibly succeed. I mean if the Chinese government is in on this, they can just provide a falsified birth certificate.

Again, how do you know? Why can't the ISU choose to believe the infamous spreadsheet instead of a possibly falsified birth certificate (especially since one of the claims that was reported on FSU (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3078664&postcount=564) was that Sui's birth certificate was allegedly lost due to a leak from a water pipe)?