PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Sasha'sSpins
06-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm a bit :eek: at Mirai having back to back competitions instead of them being spread out. But if she's in shape it shouldn't matter much. I see she'll be going head to head with the Russian babies so it should be interesting.

It just hit me as I was reading your post !:eek: And those 'babies' have some fierce jumps in in their arsenal including triple/triple combos and the triple axel! Rachael, Mirai, and Ashley too have to bring their A game if they don't want to be shown up in the jump department-of course that's true of EVERY competition.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the GP! :cool:

Sasha'sSpins
06-28-2011, 04:51 AM
*double post* Now how'd I do that?

tkaug
06-28-2011, 05:17 AM
SK CANADA will be one of the most exciting and packed of the 6 events,

I really hope it will be and that they will judge fairly.
They EXTREMELY overscore Canadians and underscore some non-Canadian competitors in Skate Canada.

JJH
06-28-2011, 05:19 AM
I will not reply. I will not reply. I will not reply. I will not reply

jlmart
06-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Don't forget they also invite weak competitors from other countries so their own skaters will medal.

stjeaskategym
06-28-2011, 08:00 AM
There's no such thing as a perfect selection system, but when Sui/Han aren't even given a second assignment (they of course will get one once a slot opens, but that's beside the point), the system should be tweaked. Sure, they weren't at Worlds, but it shouldn't matter given everything else on their resume.

It's fine that host countries are allowed to select their own skaters as "host picks" even if they don't rank so highly on the Seasons Best list-- that makes sense. But the ISU should determine the remaining entrants themselves. It's strange that skaters who, for example, have barely medaled on the JGP, never mind at Jr Worlds, are allowed to be selected before teams like Sui/Han, Lawrence/Swiegers and even Gerboldt/Enbert, Stolbova/Klimov are given a second assignment. With only 8 entries in pairs and the new rule that's enabling skaters to compete in 3 events, there's no room to "spread the wealth" without gypping some relatively high ranked teams out of second GPs. Ideally, the field would be expanded to 10, but since it's not, the ISU should care more about where these assignments are going.

luCN
06-28-2011, 08:03 AM
well,I'm really disappointed about the man list...except Evan may come. many talented skaters don't get any GPs or get only one.while someone like Mroz get two.yes,he deserve it,but his programs are so boring.

It's strange that SH didn't get two slot,but I think they may get two,the pair list is always changing,and other chinese pairs are uncertain...

glad COC will have AS,caro,mirai,Murakami!the ice dance is just soso...

NMURA
06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
After the worlds 6th Y/C had split, I believe S/H were bumped up to a 2 GP guaranteed team in order of SB. Yet they got only one assignment. Probably the Chinese federation wants to treat Z/Z as the No.2 national team at this point. Or they are admitting Sui's age controversy secretly and not ready to promote S/H as a full-fledged senior team. Maybe some of the federations are still doubtful about the Chinese side's lame excuse ("paper work error"), reluctant to invite them. If one of P/T or Z/Z are out of COC, S/H could be invited instead.

ciocio
06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh, I wanted more spots for Armin!!!!!:slinkaway
But Im very excited about Russian ladies!!!!:cheer:

kwanfan1818
06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
After the worlds 6th Y/C had split, I believe S/H were bumped up to a 2 GP guaranteed team in order of SB. Yet they got only one assignment.
If a team from the top six does not skate and is replaced, and there is at least one team with a SB score higher than any top six team's SB from last year, the team with the highest SB score is the replacement.

Last season, Duhamel/Radford (181.79 at 4C's), Sui/Han (179.04 at GPF), and Iliushechkina/Maisuradze (177.44 at GPF) had higher SB's than Yankowskas/Coughlin's (175.94 at Worlds). With the highest of the three SB's, D/R moved to the sixth, seeded spot. Had there been a second team not skating, then S/H would have been next in line for a seeded spot.

senorita
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Most thrilled of all I m about russian babies invasion in 4 Gps:kickass: and I/M getting two spots!:cheer2:
TEB has a GREAT line up! Almost perfect ;)

Jaana
06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Evan is this season's Sasha: brought back into the game to prop-up ratings. I'm sure that the NBC cameras will be following him through the back hallways of the arena, like they did with Sasha at 2010 Nationals. :lol: Plush too; I'm sure that he'll nab that 3rd spot for a Russian man in Cup of Russia & that he's back to bolster insterest in Sochi 2014. It's all so obviously commercial. But if the 'vets' EARN their medals and spots in the G-P finals fair-and-square, then all power to them.

Evan has not been "brought back", his comeback is something he himself wishes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0628-lysacek--20110627,0,2230324.column

He apparently has missed competing very much (refering to his phone calls to Frank C.).

figurefan
06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Evan - No way! I will believe it when I see it.

Suprised Kostner is coming back...wonder if she will try to hang until the next Olympics. I wonder if the great Asada will return or will it be more of the mediocre Asada.

I will be curious to see the progress of Marley and Brubaker. I would like to see E/L have a break out season. I could still cry over Y/C...

Hope Alissa has the head case thing worked out because she needs to up the technical ante. Hope Jeremy has his head case thing worked out also. If Alissa and Jeremy have worked out the head case stuff then they need to call up Mirai and give her some pointers.

Rippon just needs to bring it...he has the goods.

I wonder if the French or even the Shibs will be able to challenge D/W and/or V/M for anything during the season.

Pairs will be interesting if the Russians keep up their momentum, the Chinese pairs come back healthy and S/S keep their game face on.

Has the new season started yet? I am so ready for the distraction.

NMURA
06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Last season, Duhamel/Radford (181.79 at 4C's), Sui/Han (179.04 at GPF), and Iliushechkina/Maisuradze (177.44 at GPF) had higher SB's than Yankowskas/Coughlin's (175.94 at Worlds). With the highest of the three SB's, D/R moved to the sixth, seeded spot. Had there been a second team not skating, then S/H would have been next in line for a seeded spot.

Maybe I/M have been treated as the last 2 spots guaranteed team, not S/H. Their SB are close, and as long as there is no stated rule that replacements are done automatically in order of SB, the ISU sports directorate can execute some discretion.

Finnice
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I just found this really cool pic of the Grand Prix Men on Facebook and couldn't help sharing it here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262064_157315257672385_100001817363477_327148_2671 242_n.jpg

Love it! But is Kevin van der Perren still continuing?:confused: