PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

rfisher
06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Have to admit it, as a serious Rippon fan, I'm not thrilled with Evans return. Adam has a crucial make or break season coming up and having Evan around is only going to add to the stress and pressure.

I know Evan has every right to come back but man, he has Nationals, Worlds and the coveted Olympic gold, what else does he want?

I like Adam as well, but the fact is if he can't beat Evan, he's unlikely to beat Takahashi, Kozuka, Chan, Plushenko or even the other US skaters that beat him at US nationals. He either brings it or he doesn't.

Iceman
06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Last year wasn't the year to do it, but this year imo Alissa needs to work on upping her technical score if she wants to make the podium at next year's world.

HisWeirness
06-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Is that it for the year? I can't find the ISU list. Last year there were at least two pages worth of competitions on a .pdf at which to meet the minimum score requirements. (I cannot find the file I saved.) Maybe last year had more because it was an Olympic year?

ISU Communication 1676 (http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2685) contains the list of international competitions for 2011-12. Color-coded version. (http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2686)

Also, the calendar here (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-182502-199720-nav-list,00.html) lists all of them as well.

kirkbiggestfan
06-28-2011, 02:39 AM
I would not worry about Sui/Han. Looks like Canac/Bonheur won't do TEB. The alternate list hasn't been published, but they are probably number 1 on that list. There are always a lot of withdrawals in pairs in the summer.

Theatregirl1122
06-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Sad that Mroz got two, while Mahbanoozadeh only got one.

Brandon won the silver medal at Cup of China last year and the bronze medal at TEB last year and was the first alternate to the GPF. And Brandon has the higher season's best.

I wasn't planning to go to Skate Canada this year, but after seeing the entry lists, I think I'll try very hard to make it.

aka_gerbil
06-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Also while Universal Sports is a channel on cable many people get it "over-the-air" with a digital tuner. I would check into it if you live in the U.S. I know I watched it last year.

It's over-the-air coverage is still definitely very limited and mostly available around bigger areas. If you live in the middle of nowhere (where I am currently stuck) you are out of luck.

NBC also showed 2 hours of each event (recap coverage for a few disciplines) except for CoC last season.

The recap is better than nothing, but if you're a hard core want-to-see every skater, or see, you know, pairs and dance, then you're out of luck. It definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

Jenna
06-28-2011, 03:21 AM
More thoughts on US TBD's -

4. Ladies TBD at SA - I'm assuming that it will be someone like Joelle Forte or Alexe Gilles, since they even put Zhang in there? Is Yasmin Siraj Sr. GP eligible?

Japan Ladies TBD - I wonder why the JSF just doesn't give that to Suguri. It looks like all the other top JPN ladies have assignments. Are they perhaps sending her a message? :shuffle:

Yasmin is SGP eligible, but I doubt she would get it. She is a lock for 2 spots on the JGP.

Regarding the JPN ladies spot, I would rather see it go to a top junior like Risa Shoji or Miyabi Oba than Fumie Suguri.

Jenna
06-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Brandon won the silver medal at Cup of China last year and the bronze medal at TEB last year and was the first alternate to the GPF. And Brandon has the higher season's best.

I wasn't planning to go to Skate Canada this year, but after seeing the entry lists, I think I'll try very hard to make it.

All true statements. But Mahbanoozadeh's FS at Skate America was arguably the best one by an American man on the 10/11 Grand Prix. Plus, he placed higher at Nationals. Plus, I just like him better. ;)

Still, I understand why Mroz got the assignments and I don't challenge them.

Jenna
06-28-2011, 03:26 AM
My early assessments:

SK AMERICA very skimpy. Ladies should be a walk in the park for Kostner & Lepisto for top 2 spots. Czisny should make bronze.

I don't understand how you could so quickly dismiss Alissa after last season. I think she is 100% a contender for the gold in Skate America. Czisny was 1-1 against Kostner last year and Lepisto didnt' even compete at all. Unless she suddenly starts landing more than 4-5 (and sometimes even less than that) triples per program, I think Alissa can easily defeat her on the program components and spins themselves.

On another note, initially, the Shibutanis' chances for the final look very good. There is a real possibility that they can win both of their events.

cx3
06-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Yes! Shoji/Oba for NHK :cheer:

Sasha'sSpins
06-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Skate Canada ladies is like headcase central. :P

It's my favorite voidy line up! Can't wait! :summer:

I'm glad to see Evan back too. Hope he's in great shape by the GP-and Mirai too. Lysacek's presence on the same ice can be nothing but a positive for Nagasu.

foreverkwanfan
06-28-2011, 04:20 AM
I like Adam as well, but the fact is if he can't beat Evan, he's unlikely to beat Takahashi, Kozuka, Chan, Plushenko or even the other US skaters that beat him at US nationals. He either brings it or he doesn't.

True. This may push all the male skaters which could be a very good thing.

RumbleFish
06-28-2011, 04:32 AM
That's a lame excuse. It's the end of June, and she doesn't have time to come up with programs for October ? Um, ok. Besides, doesn't Morozov recycles the same choreography and only switches the music anyway? Just throw in some different hands stroking the face gestures to fool the audience :P

They have shuffled their mediocre programs in the middle of season so many times. :rofl: at not having enough time to come up with programs.

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Regarding the JPN ladies spot, I would rather see it go to a top junior like Risa Shoji or Miyabi Oba than Fumie Suguri.

Provided they don't want to return to JGP, yes.

Fumie Suguri should channel her passion in skating into coaching.

kwanfan1818
06-28-2011, 04:44 AM
ISU Communication 1676 (http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2685) contains the list of international competitions for 2011-12. Color-coded version. (http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2686)

Also, the calendar here (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-182502-199720-nav-list,00.html) lists all of them as well.
You :kickass: HisWeirness -- thank you so much!

Lots of events on the schedule, but not that many before Skate America.

I would not worry about Sui/Han. Looks like Canac/Bonheur won't do TEB. The alternate list hasn't been published, but they are probably number 1 on that list. There are always a lot of withdrawals in pairs in the summer.
The alternate list is based on the current season's ranking, and the first event of the season is Thornhill in August, and only for Ladies and Men. However, the Asian Figure Skating Trophy 2011/12 is listed for the end of August and is in Dongguan City China. I don't know if there are restrictions for entry that would disqualify them, but if not, then if the Chinese Fed wants them to be on top of the substitutes list, they could send them to this competition. Of course, if they compete in Juniors as well, they could rack up a bunch of points at the Junior GPs -- there are four with pairs before Skate America.