PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

julieann
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
The Zhangs don't have the momentum but Sui/Han do. And Zhangs have been slipping backwards for a while. It's not as if they became injured while at the top of their game.

Sui and Han would have had nothing in the senior GP unless D/D, Z/Z and K/S had dropped out due to injury. Their scores were no where near what the Zhangs had at the 2010 Worlds, their highest was about 17 points less. Their average was about 25. I don't think the Zhangs have been putting their heart and soul into their skating recently but I also don't consider 5th at the 2010 Olympics and 2010 Worlds as being too shabby, many teams would have loved to have been.

I don't know why S/H only got one assignment but I know why the Zhangs deserve theirs.

Also, at only about 4'6" or 4'7" depending on who you believe, she still has some growing to do which may hinder their partnership, she is not yet 16. Only time will tell.

Jeschke
06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Sui and Han would have had nothing in the senior GP unless D/D, Z/Z and K/S had dropped out due to injury. Their scores were no where near what the Zhangs had at the 2010 Worlds, their highest was about it was about 17 points less. Their average was about 25. I don't think the Zhangs have been putting their heart and soul into their skating recently but I also don't consider 5th at the 2010 Olympics and 2010 Worlds as being too shabby, many teams would have loved to have been.

I don't know why S/H only got one assignment but I know why the Zhangs deserve theirs.

Also, at only about 4'6" or 4'7" depending on who you believe, she still has some growing to do which may hinder their partnership, she is not yet 16. Only time will tell.

nice words; zhangs back on the list makes me smile. although they seem to have had some rough time, I really enjoyed them. They improved so muched, compared torino2006 with vancouver2010. they have had to make some place for shen/zhao. but i pray for them coming back stronger and rocking da house.

another smile for caroline ZHANG, unbelievable she got n invitation, but gorgeous. i love her and just hope to see her rock again like her senior debtu season.

and finally, zhiganshina/gaszi with 2 deserving spotsm yes :D

foreverkwanfan
06-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Very pleased with Rippons assignments.

Wyliefan
06-27-2011, 11:19 PM
I just found this really cool pic of the Grand Prix Men on Facebook and couldn't help sharing it here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262064_157315257672385_100001817363477_327148_2671 242_n.jpg

Nice! Gotta love the picture of Gachinksy they chose. :lol:

Cheylana
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice! Gotta love the picture of Gachinksy they chose. :lol:
:rofl: It looks like a small pink alligator is attacking his face!

gofigure
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
There is a story on the International Figure Skating site that explains the Grand Prix changes.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/551-grand-prix-series-evolves

Sayana_mnk
06-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Well, in reference to the above IFS article, I must say it is good the ISU is "rethinking" the minimum score proposal. 2/3 of the top score was simply far too high of a number at least in the men's discipline. I also like Peter Krick's suggestion that the alternates list should also include the winners of "Senior B" competitions. That way there could still be a path available for obscure skaters to compete on the Grand Prix.

maggylyn
06-28-2011, 12:55 AM
I just found this really cool pic of the Grand Prix Men on Facebook and couldn't help sharing it here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262064_157315257672385_100001817363477_327148_2671 242_n.jpg

Really nice! Thank you for sharing.

HisWeirness
06-28-2011, 12:59 AM
There is a story on the International Figure Skating site that explains the Grand Prix changes.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/551-grand-prix-series-evolves

Thanks for sharing. Some of this information was in SUN's posts, but it is helpful to have some additional information and Krick's comments. Without a 2011-12 GP announcement, this is all we have to go on.

Key quotes:

“We want to raise the level of the senior Grand Prix,” said Peter Krick, chair of the ISU sports directorate. “We want to avoid the problems we experienced last season when invitations were extended to too many lower-level skaters.”

The top six ranked skaters and teams from the 2011 World Championships will have the right to compete at three Grand Prix events, just as they could in the first years of the Series. Skaters will have to identify, in advance, which two of the three will be point earners, but are eligible to win prize money at every event.

In order to be eligible for a Grand Prix assignment, skaters and teams will have to have earned a minimum number of points at any international competition that was on the ISU calendar last season.

It was originally planned that the minimum points required would be two-thirds of the top point earner’s score from the previous season. However, this may change. “Both Patrick Chan and Meryl Davis and Charlie White earned an incredibly high number of points in Moscow,” Krick explained. “If we used this premise, some fairly good skaters would be excluded. We are rethinking this.”

The substitute lists will be changed, updated and published on the ISU homepage after each fall competition. Substitute skaters will be selected according to either their personal best from the prior season or from a fall competition. Federations will no longer be able to play politics by inviting skaters from nations they favor, nor from those where travel expenses are lower because the skater(s) train in close proximity to the event.

ali_dorate
06-28-2011, 01:01 AM

How nice!!
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful photos.:)

kwanfan1818
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
The only Senior B with a pairs event that takes place before Skate America and is listed on USFS' 2011-12 International Assignments page (http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216) is Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 21-24). Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 6-9) has men/ladies/dance. Coupe de Nice (Oct. 26-30) is the week after Skate America and includes all 4 disciplines.
Is that it for the year? I can't find the ISU list. Last year there were at least two pages worth of competitions on a .pdf at which to meet the minimum score requirements. (I cannot find the file I saved.) Maybe last year had more because it was an Olympic year?

Could somebody please explain how Zhang/Zhang (who went AWOL last season) got two events but Sui/Han -- who won the sr G-P bronze medal last season, for cryin' out loud! -- got only one assignment. Punishment for their talent...or their age?
The explanation for the Zhangs is simple: they are assigned two spots as comeback skaters, which can only be used once. If Suguri were to take a time, assuming the comeback clause was still there, she would be eligible under the same clause, since she's been top six in the world, as long as the Japanese Fed submits her name.

The Zhangs don't have the momentum but Sui/Han do. And Zhangs have been slipping backwards for a while. It's not as if they became injured while at the top of their game.
This isn't relevant to the section process.

Ziggy
06-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I hate the ISU so much...

The three event rule is extremely unfair, especially considering that the spots have been reduced in the first place. I can't believe that teams like Sui/Han and Stolbova/Klimov have only one event as a result.

No entries at all for Cheltzie Lee or Ira Vannut...

There is no way Lysacek is really coming back.

His OGM winning performance would barely place him on the podium at Worlds this year, if at all.

It's surely nothing more but a publicity stunt.

I wonder how much those lists are going to change. Probably a lot.

Are both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White really going to continue?

Regarding what Krick said: I don't understand why the winners of Senior Bs should be placed on the top of the substitute list. Just go by the actual scores, considering the level at those competitions can differ greatly.

Also strange - why do Lawrence/Swiegers have only one assignment? They're also GP medalists from last year, and 4CC medalists, and yet they only get SC? I don't understand the reasoning here.

They didn't compete at Worlds.

So maybe we'll see a tonne of entrants at Thornhill, which now has a senior B in all but dance.

We surely will.

It's the only Senior B that is held in North America. :/

Can't believe it actually doesn't have dance considering the number of ice dance teams that train in NA. :/

And no Pairs either. :(

I still can't believe that USFS and SC can't sort themselves out and organise at least one proper Senior B each...

I'm fine with that ideology but where's the development program then??? I wish the main senior B competitions (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Ice Challenge, Golden Spin, NRW Trophy and Ondrej Nepela) could join and form a sort of "B League" for all the 2nd tier skaters and specially for those from not GP nations.

Precisely.

I can't believe that the ISU has the nerve to say that when there is no development program.

If you're not Junior-eligible, you're screwed. :(

(And entries in the JGPF are down from 8 to 6 :( )

Sylvia
06-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Is that it for the year? I can't find the ISU list. Last year there were at least two pages worth of competitions on a .pdf at which to meet the minimum score requirements. (I cannot find the file I saved.) Maybe last year had more because it was an Olympic year?
Sorry if I was unclear earlier. To clarify what I meant: USFS has 4 Senior B events currently listed on their fall 2011 schedule of international assignnments for USA skaters -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Coupe de Nice, and Golden Spin of Zagreb.

foreverkwanfan
06-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Have to admit it, as a serious Rippon fan, I'm not thrilled with Evans return. Adam has a crucial make or break season coming up and having Evan around is only going to add to the stress and pressure.

I know Evan has every right to come back but man, he has Nationals, Worlds and the coveted Olympic gold, what else does he want?

SamuraiK
06-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Sorry if I was unclear earlier. To clarify what I meant: USFS has 4 Senior B events currently listed on their fall 2011 schedule of international assignnments for USA skaters -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Coupe de Nice, and Golden Spin of Zagreb.

No Ice Challenge for 2nd tier US skaters this year??:(:(