PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

reese
06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
But they definitely showed other GPs (with the exception of China) and the GPF. I have the recordings.

They did not show Worlds, though.

NBC did? Wow I have no memory of that. I thought it was Universal.

RD
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
NBC did? Wow I have no memory of that. I thought it was Universal.

Universal Sports had coverage as well. NBC showed the top singles in each event on Sunday afternoon.

lavenderblue
06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
NBC's broadcasts are extremely selective, though -- they'll skip one or two disciplines entirely, and a few skaters in the ones they do show. IIRC, they skipped dance and pairs(?) in last year's Skate Canada broadcast, for example.

Frau Muller
06-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Why do you think the Zhangs should be penalized because they were injured? .....

The Zhangs don't have the momentum but Sui/Han do. And Zhangs have been slipping backwards for a while. It's not as if they became injured while at the top of their game.

ISU seems to be becoming more a producer of pro events than an 'amateur' sports body. Blending with Scott Hamilton's SOI productions. Evan is this season's Sasha: brought back into the game to prop-up ratings. I'm sure that the NBC cameras will be following him through the back hallways of the arena, like they did with Sasha at 2010 Nationals. :lol: Plush too; I'm sure that he'll nab that 3rd spot for a Russian man in Cup of Russia & that he's back to bolster insterest in Sochi 2014. It's all so obviously commercial. But if the 'vets' EARN their medals and spots in the G-P finals fair-and-square, then all power to them.

Edited to add: Lavenderblue (above) is right: NBC is highly selective in its SkAmerica coverage. I have no doubt that this yr's competition will be "All About the Evan"! [Especially with Scott in the booth...eeek!] If we're lucky, they'll show some of Meryl & Charlie...they SHOULD be planning their telecasts around the current #1s (Meryl/Charlie) & not the comeback kid.

VALuvsMKwan
06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Ya think? I can see Kostner in front of Czisny, but not sure about Lepisto ...

And not necessarily even Kostner - will good Caro or Bambi Caro show up?

I realize the same can be said about Czisny, but I have faith in Jason and Yuka's abilities to steady her.

Jarrett
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I think the assignments are good for Mirai. Barring any injury setbacks hopefully Frank can have her peaking (not best of the season but solid with no major flaws) at the right time for these two weeks then the GPF if she makes it.

euterpe
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
UniversalSports is what showed events other than Skate America. And US is a CABLE network, not a TV network, and carried only by specific cable companies and therefore not available to the general public. Supposedly US will be covered by DirecTV (what I have), although I haven't noticed it in the most recent channel listings.

I have paid to watch skating on the US webcast, though, but that is internet and not cable OR TV.

chipso1
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, if the NFL lock-out really does happen, we could be seeing a lot more GP coverage on NBC this season... ;)

not that I'm hoping for that or anything :saint:

chipso1
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
UniversalSports is what showed events other than Skate America. And US is a CABLE network, not a TV network, and carried only by specific cable companies and therefore not available to the general public. Supposedly US will be covered by DirecTV (what I have), although I haven't noticed it in the most recent channel listings.

I have paid to watch skating on the US webcast, though, but that is internet and not cable OR TV.

NBC also showed 2 hours of each event (recap coverage for a few disciplines) except for CoC last season.

Jarrett
06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
NBC also showed 2 hours of each event (recap coverage for a few disciplines) except for CoC last season.

Also while Universal Sports is a channel on cable many people get it "over-the-air" with a digital tuner. I would check into it if you live in the U.S. I know I watched it last year.

Allen
06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Ya think? I can see Kostner in front of Czisny, but not sure about Lepisto ...

I think it depends on which Carolina and which Alissa show up that day. I feel like Alissa is at a point that she can win against both Lepisto and Kostner, even if both skate well. Now, the chance of all three skating well at the same time is fairly slim.

rfisher
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
ITA. I wouldn't pick either of the 3 as a winner in advance. They are all about that performance on that day. :lol: I just hope the Lovely Laura is healthy. Between she and Alissa, the sheer volume of elegance will overpower all those in the arena.

SamuraiK
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
All this is in line with the ISU policy that Senior GP is not a development program but a commercial series for top skaters to attract TV.

I'm fine with that ideology but where's the development program then??? I wish the main senior B competitions (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Ice Challenge, Golden Spin, NRW Trophy and Ondrej Nepela) could join and form a sort of "B League" for all the 2nd tier skaters and specially for those from not GP nations.

Eislauffan
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
As for reducing the entries, I understand that the ISU wants to promote the Grand Prix series as a premium event with only the best skaters competing. It is true that in some events, rather weak skaters were invited (especially as subsitutes), hence the minimum score that is to come. I still regret that they reduced the numbers of participants, because I think there are enough strong skaters that can be invited. The minimum score would suffice as a tool to exclude the invitation of comparatively weak skaters (that maybe were invited to do another Federation a favor).

SamuraiK
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I just found this really cool pic of the Grand Prix Men on Facebook and couldn't help sharing it here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262064_157315257672385_100001817363477_327148_2671 242_n.jpg