PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

seabm7
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
i may be out of the loop on this one but did Chock/Zuerlein split up?

Yes. Zuerlein is moving on and will attend college full-time, I heard.

Sylvia
06-27-2011, 07:37 PM
i may be out of the loop on this one but did Chock/Zuerlein split up?
Yes, the official USFS press release was published on June 7: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=46224&type=media

BTW, I think Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are only competing as Sr's. on the GP Circuit. They aren't age eligible for Sr. Worlds?
Correct, they won't be old enough for ISU Senior Championships (Euros, Worlds) until the 2012-13 season.

Frau Muller
06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
My early assessments:

SK AMERICA very skimpy. Ladies should be a walk in the park for Kostner & Lepisto for top 2 spots. Czisny should make bronze. PAIRS a 'give away' for Savchenko/Szolkowy. DANCE an even easier give-away for D/W. P/B getting up in yrs. Only the men have great excitement with Kozuka, Amodia & Brezina the 'knowns' and Evan the unknown...although I doubt that he would enter anything without being in shape 101%.

SK CANADA will be one of the most exciting and packed of the 6 events, with loads of talent in each of the 4 disciplines. So this will be Sui/Han's only event? Vol/Trankov should win Pairs. North Am debut for one of the 2 Russian Baby Princess-Wonders, Tuki, but it won't be easy against Mirai, Perky, Suziki, Ashley. Chan should win Men but Takahashi often begins a season stronger and Rippon is coming back all-guns-blazing. V/M should easily win dance.

CUP OF CHINA will be our first look at the top Russian Baby-Princess-Wonder, Sotni but she'll have tough competition from Murakami, Mirai & Kostner. Pairs should be a Pang/Tong festival. Dance SHOULD belong to the Shib Kids. Men will be packed: Oda, Joubert, Gachinsky, Abbott!

NHK - Mao wisely begins her season later on, since she seems to need time to get comfy with her new programs. Suzuki, Perky, Ashley & Agnes could easily keep 'early Mao' off the podium. This will be a most exciting Pairs event with virtually all top teams except for Volo/Trankov. Dance is pretty easy - should be an easy 'lock' for the Shibs to the G-P Finals. Again, Men will be packed: Takahashi vs Kozuka, with Verner, Menshov & 3 strong USA guys in the mix.

TEB-Paris: Packed in singles, not so in couples. Perhaps the most anticipated Men's event with Chan, Oda, Evan, Adam, Brian, Florent...wheeee!!!! In Ladies, four should be battling for the podium - Lepisto, Kostner, Kanako, Tuki. Pairs is skimpy: an easy gold for Volo/Trankov, unless Vera & Yuri challenge. Dance: V/M already have their names on a 2nd set of golds for the fall season.

Russia: Ladies should be a fight between Perky, Sotni & Agnes although, by then, Mao should be settling into her programs and could make podium. Pairs is easy: another Savchenko/Szolkowy minted win. Dance - another walk in the park for Meryl/Charlie. Men should be fun with the 2 Czechs, Hanyu, Gachinsky, Abbott AND maybe Plushy!

For me, the most exciting events are, in this order:

Skate Canada
Cup of Russia
TEB-Paris

legaleagle88
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
2. Ice Dance TBD at SA - I'm sure that the 2d TBD will go to Kriegenkrarut / Giuletti Schmitt.

Yes, please!

olympic
06-27-2011, 08:02 PM
My early assessments:

SK AMERICA very skimpy. Ladies should be a walk in the park for Kostner & Lepisto for top 2 spots. Czisny should make bronze. .....

Ya think? I can see Kostner in front of Czisny, but not sure about Lepisto ...

Frau Muller
06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Could somebody please explain how Zhang/Zhang (who went AWOL last season) got two events but Sui/Han -- who won the sr G-P bronze medal last season, for cryin' out loud! -- got only one assignment. Punishment for their talent...or their age?

B.Cooper
06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Can someone direct me to where, and more importantly....why.... the ISU decided to reduce the number of entries? IMO, this further reduces the interest level of the sport by limiting the number of entrants in the fall international series (both SGP and JGP). As much as the sport is struggling for recognition around most of the world, with the exception of Asia, why in the world did the ISU decide to make the sport even more "exclusive"....by limiting numbers.

I started thinking about this while watching Wimbledon last week (and even today, with the upsets in the ladies events)....that you have the chance of an relative unknown squeaking thru and that increases the interest level across the board. Kind of like the Cinderella teams that make it thru to the round of 16 or even to the final during March Madness. You draw in the smaller viewing markets. Oh, yeah, I forgot...skating isn't really televised. So, all of this is a moot argument! ;-)

But, back to my original question...maybe Sylvia knows the answer....why DID the ISU drop the number of entrants per event?

julieann
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Could somebody please explain how Zhang/Zhang (who went AWOL last season) got two events but Sui/Han -- who won the sr G-P bronze medal last season, for cryin' out loud! -- got only one assignment. Punishment for their talent...or their age?

Why do you think the Zhangs should be penalized because they were injured? They are still 18th in the world rankings even with missing a whole season.

I doubt S/H are being punished for being talented, otherwise the top teams wouldn't be competing.

Sylvia
06-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Can someone direct me to where, and more importantly....why.... the ISU decided to reduce the number of entries?
See this 5/26 Kyodo News article translated from Japanese: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3194422&postcount=67

The ISU executive explained that, saying "It is the aim to improve the quality of the event by getting the top players to participate to a lot of event". As for each event, reducing the participation frame which was 12 Men and Ladies for each in this season to 10, it suppresses the unevenness of the competitive ability.

ETA this 5/23 post: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3190949&postcount=25

This is what I heard about the coming GP rules changes.

1. Only 1-12 Worlds finishers are guaranted events (1-6 may do 3 if they want).
2. Wording for Junior Worlds medalists, JGPF medalists, 1-24 SB and 1-24 WS is different now. Last year they were guaranteed min 1 event. Now it says they'll get 1 event provided there are open spots.

3. 1-6 WC finishers may do 3 events. 2 best results will count for the Final. By June 1 they are supposed to inform the ISU if they plan to do 3 or 2 events. If somebody opted for 3, and got 3 but will decide later to withdraw (even for serious medical reasons, as everybody withdraws for medical reasons) from the 3rd event, there will be prize money deduction for the previous 2 events. On the contrary-doing 3 events will add bonus to the prize money.

4. Host countries can still eneter anybody for home events, regardless of the ratings, SB, etc.

All this is in line with the ISU policy that Senior GP is not a development program but a commercial series for top skaters to attract TV. They were really disappointed last year when really weak skaters were invited as substitutes.
(I bolded the sentence above.)

euterpe
06-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I think it's rather funny that the ISU emphasis is on TV ratings when in many countries, there is little or NO skating shown on TV, let alone GP events. The TV audience for skating is shrinking year by year because the networks assign time slots according to what advertisers are willing to support. Advertisers want to target their sports $$ to what the 25-35 male crowd wants to watch, and that is certainly not figure skating.

Most hard core skating fans watch the GP events on the internet.

Tesla
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Most hard core skating fans watch the GP events on the internet.

Because they have no choice. The GP isn't shown on a channel that most people can watch. I have DISH, so I don't get Universal Sports.

RD
06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Because they have no choice. The GP isn't shown on a channel that most people can watch. I have DISH, so I don't get Universal Sports.

Hmm...wasn't most of last year's GP shown on NBC- a "channel that most people can watch"? Of course it doesn't rate that highly, given that it airs opposite football, but at least they bother to show it.

reese
06-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Hmm...wasn't most of last year's GP shown on NBC- a "channel that most people can watch"? Of course it doesn't rate that highly, given that it airs opposite football, but at least they bother to show it.

I think Skate America was (ladiezzz and maybe men's?) on NBC last year. That was it. No other GPs, no ice dance and pairs, no GPF, no World Championships.

They did show the Nationals LPs of the top skaters.

sk9tingfan
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Supposedly DISH will be getting access to Universal Sports in certain markets. Here is the link that indicates where it is and/or going :)

RD
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I think Skate America was (ladiezzz and maybe men's?) on NBC last year. That was it. No other GPs, no ice dance and pairs, no GPF, no World Championships.

But they definitely showed other GPs (with the exception of China) and the GPF. I have the recordings.

They did not show Worlds, though.