PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

NMURA
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
TBD for mens Cup of Russia could go to Plushenko but Menshov has been invited to one GP event and being Russian champion wouldn't it make sense to give him a second in Russia? That third spot is almot always decided by Nebelhorn and I don't think Plushenko is going there but I bet Menshov will.

Nebelhorn or not, Menshov will get COR unless Plushenko really wants to compete. It seems that they didn't give 2 spots to skaters without a guaranteed spot even as a host pick.

sk9tingfan
06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
With 0 quotes from Evan.

Yeah, I'll buy Evan coming back when I actually see it.

Updated comments from Universal Sports with respect to your point

http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=539253.html

Sylvia
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
As long as a US pair earns the minimum score at an approved competition before SA starts, they are eligible. They'd also be eligible to be on the substitute list for a non-US-hosted event because one of the partners was part of a top-six team in the past once they have season ranking points based on results in an approved competition.

If D/C aren't sent to one of those competitions, then it's clear USFS has no intention of giving them a TBA spot.
The only Senior B with a pairs event that takes place before Skate America and is listed on USFS' 2011-12 International Assignments page (http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216) is Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 21-24). Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 6-9) has men/ladies/dance. Coupe de Nice (Oct. 26-30) is the week after Skate America and includes all 4 disciplines.

That's true for any skater/team that hasn't met the new minimum scores in the 2010-11 season.
Yes, such as the new dance team of Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue, for example.

icellist
06-27-2011, 07:04 PM
all the events are a little more unpredictable now (except for dancing and pairs)

Sad that Fumie Suguri, Min-jung Kwak, Ira Vannut, Juulia Tuurkila, and Cheltzie Lee didn't get a spot
Can someone check to see whose next in the list of ladies for substitutions? I really want these five to be at the top

I wouldn't mind if the TBD spots for SA were Armin or Messing
Would love the ladies spot given to Kristiene Gong
Evora/Ladwig should get the pairs spot, aren't they only doing one???
oh and K/G-S hands down

hippychick
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I wish they had left two TBD slots for Senior Pairs for Skate America. The Senior Pairs competition at Nationals was very close between 6-8 place. It would be great if they could have waited until after the summer competitions before making a decision. Now with Denny and Coughlin a virtual lock on that spot it will leave out Davis and Thefteris and Donlan and Speroff, both of which were very close in points to Vise and Baldwin at Nationals. Especially sad for Donlan and Speroff who beat Zhang and Toth at both Cranberry and Nebelhorn and were not sent to Skate America, Zhang and Toth went instead and then ended up breaking up prior to Nationals.

miffy
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
TEB l;ooks amazing, maybe I will finally get round to renewing my passport :DWe are still wondering whether to go or not (we reserved a hotel room just in case) but if you are going that might make our minds up. :D

Frau Muller
06-27-2011, 07:07 PM
all ...Evora/Ladwig should get the pairs spot, aren't they only doing one???

E/L doing both China & TEB.

Yazmeen
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Phil Hersh's take on Evan:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-lysacek-set-for-return-to-competive-figure-skating-20110627,0,2124090.story

Jammers
06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm a bit :eek: at Mirai having back to back competitions instead of them being spread out. But if she's in shape it shouldn't matter much. I see she'll be going head to head with the Russian babies so it should be interesting.

icellist
06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
thanks i didn't see that they were in china and teb
hope its davis and thefteris instead of D/C then

ciocio
06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
TBD for mens Cup of Russia could go to Plushenko but Menshov has been invited to one GP event and being Russian champion wouldn't it make sense to give him a second in Russia? That third spot is almot always decided by Nebelhorn and I don't think Plushenko is going there but I bet Menshov will.

Look forward to seeing Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova debut as seniors. Ladies could see a major tech upgrade.

Maybe they want to please both of them so they'll sent each one to one event only. :confused:

icellist
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
i may be out of the loop on this one but did Chock/Zuerlein split up?

Jackie Sparrow
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
TEB l;ooks amazing, maybe I will finally get round to renewing my passport :D If your expired passport is the only reason you CANNOT go to Paris, you should be banned from Omni Sport :P

Sylvia
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I wish they had left two TBD slots for Senior Pairs for Skate America.
Supposedly the ISU doesn't like a host country to have 2 TBDs listed in one discipline unless there's a really compelling reason for it. USFS already has 2 TBDs in dance for Skate America (I suspect 1 of them originally was for Samuelson/Bates :().

The Senior Pairs competition at Nationals was very close between 6-8 place. It would be great if they could have waited until after the summer competitions before making a decision.
True, but Vise/Baldwin were the only US pair to win a Senior B medal last season (silver at Ice Challenge) in addition to finishing 6th at Nationals to Davis/Leftheris' 7th (4th at Ice Challenge) and Donlan/Speroff's 8th (4th at Nebelhorn).

I think USFS gave Donlan/Speroff a vote of confidence by placing them in the 2011-12 Team C funding envelope (6th & 7th place in Senior at Nationals is one of the criteria and they were 8th).

olympic
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
i may be out of the loop on this one but did Chock/Zuerlein split up?

Yep. There's a whole thread about it in either GSD or the Trash Can.

BTW, I think Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are only competing as Sr's. on the GP Circuit. They aren't age eligible for Sr. Worlds?