PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

query5
06-27-2011, 05:54 PM
i am happy that all who got in got at least 1 gp assignment.
kinda of surprise regarding Evan, since kinda of hinted wasn't skating except of shows/tours.
but okay to see in .

i am glad caroline zhang got one, due to the fact they was hard on her the past few years and in regards to what happened to rachel/mirai this past year.

who get the 3 tba, i don't know, am happy whoever gets i,

also surprised at how many tba in all disciplines, i guess due to somewhat pull out like
miki pulled out a surprise there. but also alot of skaters who can qualify and don't know which /who to put in.

so far i think a decent job of who got in.
with only 10 spots up for grabs, take away 3 it only leaves 7 for men/womens and 5 for pairs/dance for outside countries-so not a whole lot openings.

so decent job to all, congratulations to all who got one, and what they wanted.

Beefcake
06-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Sakte America TBD:

Ladies: Bulanhagui
Men: Could Aaron/Farris/Messing
Pairs: My money is on Denney/Coughlin
Dance: K/G-S

Hope so, because I'm :blah: enough over the SA roster that I'm considering not attending even though I live 45 minutes from the venue.

Well, dance is pretty darned good. Otherwise, le sigh.

kwanfan1818
06-27-2011, 06:10 PM
It can't be helped. Only two pairs outside of the worlds top 12 got 2 spots - Zhangs and I/M. Not many foreign spectators are interested in the Canadian No.3 or 4 team.
The Zhangs got two automatically by the "comeback skater" clause. Anyone who made top 6 in the past has a one-time opportunity to come back and get assigned two spots.

I'm surprised that a term of Plushenko's reinstatement wasn't that he'd use the "comeback" skater provision to show that he was serious (one of the things Cinquanta required before the decision was made).

I'm pretty sure her 4CC bronze last year guaranteed her one spot.
Even had her 4CC bronze been last season, the only skaters guaranteed any spots this year are top 12 at Worlds and "comeback" skaters. Top 75 Season's Best or top 24 World Ranking, or medaling at Jr. Worlds or JGPF no longer guarantee anything, but qualifies the skater for selection.

For those who are doing three competitions, do they get to pick the best two out of three or do they pick the two that count in advance? I have heard it both ways.
Top two scores are counted. They don't have to pick in advance.

1. Pairs TBD at SA - who will the 3d TBD go to? Denney / Coughlin [are they eligible] ?
As long as a US pair earns the minimum score at an approved competition before SA starts, they are eligible. They'd also be eligible to be on the substitute list for a non-US-hosted event because one of the partners was part of a top-six team in the past once they have season ranking points based on results in an approved competition.

If D/C aren't sent to one of those competitions, then it's clear USFS has no intention of giving them a TBA spot.

That's true for any skater/team that hasn't met the new minimum scores in the 2010-11 season.

--

I can see the TV broadcasters licking their lips over the "Two Olympic Champions: Who Will Repeat?" stories.

I remember when the new ranked substitution lists were discussed, Ziggy wrote that they would be based on the current seasons' rankings, not the cumulative rankings. Until GP starts, that means based on results from the lower-tier international events, most of which are in Europe. Perhaps Skate Canada and USFS will see the effect of not having at least one early-season event in NA. On the other hand, they might think their fields are full enough not to bother.

Matryeshka
06-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Caitlin needs to find a partner, so we can have many entertaining :argue: :sekret: threads over which new pairs team the USFS is going to SUPPORT. That pairs TBA spot at SA is just BEGGING for a good konspiracy.

Excited about Evan coming back, but like some, I'll believe it when I see it. He has said post-Olys though that he's not afraid to lose, and there's no pro-circuit yet (besides Hammy's, which I'm not sure is an actual reality or just in development), AFAIK his "acting" career has not taken off, so why not?

He might also look at it like, hey, I've already won everything, and no one can take that away from me, so why not come back and skate for the love of skating? He has nothing to prove; it might be freeing.

I'm really excited about the GP series overall. I'm bummed that most of the skaters just outside the top 12 didn't get a spot, since they're the ones that I think benefit from the GP the most. I understand the reason why Zhang was chosen for SA, but I don't agree with it. Zhang has never been to the Olys, never medalled at Worlds, and hasn't been a feature at Nationals for a while. I doubt Zhang being there would make anyone who wasn't going to Nationals consider going. At least Melissa B. is entertaining, and Joelle F. always gets a great reaction from hometown crowds. She won't medal, but she's lovely to watch.

Other than that, I like that the GPs are more evenly distributed in terms of talent. TEB still has the best overall lineup, and SC one of the weaker ones, but it's not as big a gap as before. I could go to any GP this year and feel satisfied with who I got to see. I guess that is a benefit of cutting the number of skaters. Allowing skaters to do three GPs could have some interesting effects too. Do all of them count? The best two? Or is it already decided which two count?

LilJen
06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Curious about the 3-spot rule: The quotes from V/T upthread seemed to indicate that the two best scores/placements would count towards qualification for the GPF. However, didn't it used to be that the team themselves would choose, before the events began, which two of their three GP spots would count towards the GPF?

Can anyone clarify?

ETA: Nevermind, looks as though this has already been asked and answered. I don't like it, though.

olympic
06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
...As long as a US pair earns the minimum score at an approved competition before SA starts, they are eligible. They'd also be eligible to be on the substitute list for a non-US-hosted event because one of the partners was part of a top-six team in the past.

If D/C aren't sent to one of those competitions, then it's clear USFS has no intention of giving them a TBA spot.

That's true for any skater/team that hasn't met the new minimum scores in the 2010-11 season.

Thanks, Kwanfan. I guess they will need to compete at something like Ondrej Nepela Memorial or Nebelhorn?

BigB08822
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I am guessing we will see changes, I don't expect Flatt to actually compete.

I am surprised Nagasu is doing 2 back to back events. That isn't easy unless you are doing US and Canada but she is doing Canada and then going half way around the world to China! :eek: I would not be thrilled with that assignment.

The assignments for Canada and Japan have 4 of the 10 ladies competing in both. Should make predictions a little more...predictable? lol

kwanfan1818
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Kwanfan. I guess they will need to compete at something like Ondrej Nepela Memorial or Nebelhorn?
Those are two possibilities, but last year, there were two or more pages of eligible competitions, although some of which did not include senior pairs, and there should be more opportunities to meet the minimum scores.

Proustable
06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
I remember when the new ranked substitution lists were discussed, Ziggy wrote that they would be based on the current seasons' rankings, not the cumulative rankings. Until GP starts, that means based on results from the lower-tier international events, most of which are in Europe. Perhaps Skate Canada and USFS will see the effect of not having at least one early-season event in NA. On the other hand, they might think their fields are full enough not to bother.

So maybe we'll see a tonne of entrants at Thornhill, which now has a senior B in all but dance.

julieann
06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
whole post

Thanks kwanfan1818...very informative!!!!

Other than that, I like that the GPs are more evenly distributed in terms of talent.

I agree especially in pairs.

kwanfan1818
06-27-2011, 06:33 PM
So maybe we'll see a tonne of entrants at Thornhill, which now has a senior B in all but dance.
The great thing about those competitions is that they don't need to have all disciplines to have scores count toward minimum score qualifications, if the competition itself qualifies.

I think in earlier discussions, because there have to be a certain number of international judges and a certain number of countries represented among the competitors, the barrier to hosting an international B was paying for the judges. There are certainly enough teams from around the world training in NA to have the minimum number of competitors participate.

With the new high minimum score rules, it may take a couple of tries for skaters to meet the requirements, and the more competitions, the merrier.

Catherine M
06-27-2011, 06:33 PM
i'm surprised paul/islam only got one spot too.

Not going to Worlds and being in the top 12 makes getting two Grand Prix off the bat spots very difficult.

I would think they will be monitored over the summer, along with other teams to determine who the "TBD" 3rd spot at Skate Canada will be.

Sylvia
06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
The ISU calendar page now says that Thornhill will be a Senior B for Senior Men and Ladies only (Pairs was originally listed).

ETA: The exact wording now reads "(only Senior Men & Ladies will be international)."

6/28 UPDATE: The Senior B portion of Thornhill is now listed as CANCELLED on the ISU calendar -- I've cross-posted the news here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3220787#post3220787

taf2002
06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I am pretty sure I will be going to Skate Canada. I have a BIL who lives in Missasauga I can stay with, plus it looks like a pretty good line-up.

caseyedwards
06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
TBD for mens Cup of Russia could go to Plushenko but Menshov has been invited to one GP event and being Russian champion wouldn't it make sense to give him a second in Russia? That third spot is almot always decided by Nebelhorn and I don't think Plushenko is going there but I bet Menshov will.

Look forward to seeing Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova debut as seniors. Ladies could see a major tech upgrade.